Old 13-06-2005, 04:08 PM

Default [IBC] Myrtle Bonsai

Having killed several, & hopefully learned from my mistakes, I recently
bought another dwarf myrtle (Myrtus communis 'Compacta'). Seeking inspiration on
the Web, I looked for some pictures. Searching on "Myrtle bonsai" brought up
nothing but crape myrtle. Searching on Myrtus communis brought up one decent
specimen from Phoenix. There were a number of pictures from Germany & Austria,
all of them dreadful to an American eye. They were all done in pompoms. Even a
natural unstyled myrtle in Israel looks better (it grows as an upright oval
dense bush). Don't tell me a myrtle can't be styled to look like something with
taste, or can't it?
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Steve wachs

I have seen Mytle Communis sold in herb sections of garden centers. I have
tried this plant with no success.

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-06-2005, 04:23 PM

In a message dated 6/13/05 11:21:18 AM, SteveWachs writes:
I have tried this plant with no success.

Oh? What happened? I had a good one years ago, but it was stolen.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Steve wachs

I don't know what I did wrong with it. it seems I didn't have enough
humidity

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-06-2005, 04:35 PM

In a message dated 6/13/05 11:30:57 AM, SteveWachs writes:
it seems I didn't have enough humidity

On Long Island? This is a semi-desert plant. I have found that myrtle tends
to succumb to the following:
root rot from soggy soil
the too much too soon syndrome
lack of a fall or winter rest period.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Mike Bennett

Interesting phrase "dreadful to an American eye"..are you saying that
Americans always produce exhibition standard bonsai? ;o)

Mike Bennett
http://www.bonsaiartists.co.uk

[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Steve wachs

I kept it indoors. I think i bought it in winter. it never made to the
summer, to move it outside

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Well, since I am an American and have produced some Bonsai (kinda,
sorta); I'll answer that with a big resounding "NO."

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH

Old 14-06-2005, 01:34 PM
elize marie mann

Old 15-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Shelly Hurd

Iris,
Not sure it's still there, but Ernie Kuo had a spectacular myrtus on his
site (or did the last time I went there). I have four currently in
development and love them (they are different though - but NO POM POMS
either). I was fortunate enough some years ago to receive a 40 or 50 year
old myrtus that I brought home and planted in the back yard, I've been
air-layering the branches off since. Enjoy it, at least they smell good
when you prune them.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd - Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 03-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Mike Bennett

Just to let you know that the auction for these Limited Edition calendars
closes in just under 3 days time. Since I may not get the opportunity to
list any more of these, it is possible that this is the last time many of
you will get the chance to purchase one.
Designed by Dan Barton, and limited to only 200 copies, the calendar comes
complete with a genuine Japanese scroll.
The address is as follows:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...rd=1&sspage n
ame=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Please note, this is not a commercial venture on my part, proceeds from this
sale go to the Association of British Bonsai Artists, details of which can
be found by following the link on my signature.

Thanks for reading this, and my apologies for those who do not find this of
interest.

Mike Bennett
http://www.bonsaiartists.co.uk

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Wax myrtle common myrtle davholla Gardening 6 29-01-2007 12:48 AM
Bonsai Crape Myrtle? Boothbay Gardening 4 14-06-2005 02:52 PM
[IBC] First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 3 05-01-2004 04:32 AM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 08:44 PM
[IBC] US vs. European bonsai stundents - was [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy? Marty & Patty Weiser Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 04:25 AM