Old 04-08-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Deer fence

"William L. Rose" wrote:

In article ,
(Harry Chickpea) wrote:

"William L. Rose" wrote:

Just my 2˘, but I hope your ready for the dead birds. The voltage (It's
really the amperage you need to be concerned with.) that will put bambi
on his butt is gonna' fry "tweety bird" and friends (four and two
legged) that come into contact with it. You may be down with the
collateral damage but passer-bys, neighbors, grand kids, ect., may see
you in a whole, brand new light. Birds also help clean up insects in the
garden, so think about unintended consequences.

Haven't you ever seen birds on power lines? The voltage and ampreage
are a heck of a lot more than electric fences.

Here is a place where you can read how the fences work.:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex611

Alright, show's over. Move it along. Move it along. Show's over.

My god, where did all them pitchforks and torches come from? This seemed
like such a friendly little news group.

So electric fences have progressed since I ran off and became a Luddite,
good.

Mr. Om says he uses a double hot wire around his yard. Does that mean
two hot wires, or one hot and one ground? Grounding isn't an issue? I
also see that some fences only zap for a limited duration, like a
fraction of a second. Sounds reasonable. I would still worry about the
amount of voltage that can get a deer's attention and the amount that
could throw a half ounce bird into cardiac arrhythmia. But that's
probably just me. If no one has seen that, then it must not be a big
deal. No complaints from the grandkids or do they like getting their
hair to stand on end?

As far as birds and squirrels on the power lines, occasionally they do
find a ground and you can hear the transformer blow for miles. They
never make that mistake twice. But that really doesn't relate to the
discussion at hand.

Oh, before I forget, thanks Mr. Om for the web site. There's always
something to learn. Slow down and you get left behind. When I got out of
school, there were three states of "matter" in physics and two
"Kingdoms" in biology. Now I find that plasma has been added to gas,
liquid, solid, and Kingdom Fungi, Kingdom Monera, and Kingdom Protista
have been added to Kingdom Animalia, and Kingdom Plantae.

Like to chat, but I gotta' run.

Later.

Plasma was added a while back. Guess I better not bring up the
Bose-Einstein condensate... :-)

.... ah what the heck:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose-Einstein_condensate

I suspect part of the reason for all the responses is that not many
people want to be songbird killers, or thought of as being songbird
killers. If there were pitchforks (which I didn't see) they would
have been aimed at that, rather than directly at you. Like you said,
we all just try to keep learning, and most of us are more interested
in helping people out than re-enacting a boring scene from
Frankenstein.

ps, Wasn't Kingdom Monera in Buck Rogers?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"William L. Rose" wrote:

Mr. Om says he uses a double hot wire around his yard. Does that mean
two hot wires, or one hot and one ground? Grounding isn't an issue?

Ms. Om. ;-)

2 strands. One about 4" high and one at about 14" up.
This keeps her from going _under_ or over the wires.

Honestly, I've never seen a dead bird in my front yard and the wires
keep the border collie from going over the fence.

Those dogs can JUMP!!!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 05-08-2006, 12:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

William L. Rose wrote:
"simy1" wrote:
Dave wrote:

I wonder if I could just temporarily run a wire nose-high around my
okra and tomatoes?

The system at a farm supply store is the wire, plus either small posts
or brackets tat you can attach to a chain link. It also has a
transformer, delivering a painful but not deadly jolt that a live wire
may deliver. It cost $19.99 for me.

Just my 2˘, but I hope your ready for the dead birds. The voltage (It's
really the amperage you need to be concerned with.) that will put bambi
on his butt is gonna' fry "tweety bird" and friends (four and two
legged) that come into contact with it. [...]

Well, I have heard of hummingbirds being killed on fences that have
colored insulators. The trick is to try to keep the hot wire more than
a bird's length away from any other wire and use plain black or white
insulators. A length of PVC pipe can also be slipped over posts. Some
fence chargers provide a lot more zap than others.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

All this balloney about birds. How about children and pets?
Personally, I've been zapped crossing electric cattle fences while
hunting and shock was very mild. Probably just enough to discourage
the animals but otherwise harmless. Electric fences, tall fences or
netting are the only sure remedies to keep deer away from plants.

Frank

Old 05-08-2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article om,
"Dave" wrote:

William L. Rose wrote:
"simy1" wrote:
Dave wrote:

[...]

I used PVC pipe for poles.

No insulators were needed.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
"Frank" wrote:

All this balloney about birds. How about children and pets?

I use electric wire to _control_ my pets... One or two zaps and the dogs
never go near them again.

Children? Warn them. Electric fencing hurts but it's harmless. If the
child is stupid (or stubborn) enough to touch a wire once they've been
warned, I'll guarantee you they will only do it once!

No harm done.

Personally, I've been zapped crossing electric cattle fences while
hunting and shock was very mild. Probably just enough to discourage
the animals but otherwise harmless. Electric fences, tall fences or
netting are the only sure remedies to keep deer away from plants.

Frank

I've run the wheelbarrow up against mine and gotten shocked.G
I then have to move it away from it with gloved hands, or my feet with
shoes on. It's just surprising and uncomfortable, it really does not
hurt.

It's not like getting electrocuted or anything!

I've shocked myself when cleaning walls and accidently getting spray
cleaner running down into a live wall socket. THAT'S different! An
electric fence is no comparison to actually getting zapped by live
current! Glass cleaner is a great conductor. :-P
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 05-08-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Frank" wrote:

All this balloney about birds. How about children and pets?

I've never seen a kid or a dog perched on an electric fence. :-)

Personally, I've been zapped crossing electric cattle fences while
hunting and shock was very mild. Probably just enough to discourage
the animals but otherwise harmless. Electric fences, tall fences or
netting are the only sure remedies to keep deer away from plants.

The danger would probably be to people with pacemakers.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5 Aug 2006 04:48:57 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

All this balloney about birds. How about children and pets?

Yeah! Let's zap those nasty little knee biters! That'll teach people
to let their children roam instead of leashing and caging them as is
right and proper!

Penelope
- "pointed"
Old 05-08-2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote in message
oups.com...
All this balloney about birds. How about children and pets?
Personally, I've been zapped crossing electric cattle fences while
hunting and shock was very mild. Probably just enough to discourage
the animals but otherwise harmless. Electric fences, tall fences or
netting are the only sure remedies to keep deer away from plants.

I don't understand your logic then. You warn against kids and pets yet
give a testimonial of only receiving a mild shock when crossing cattle
fences. If it's otherwise harmless that would carry over to kids and
pets, too, unless there was a medical reason (pace maker) directly
involved.

Growing up on and around ranches in the '60s and '70s, and testing my
grandpa's electrical knowledge just a few times, the current used to
discourage the cattle (and coyotes) was non-fatal. I can't see anyone
increasing the power just to get roasted pigeons or BBQ finch.

The Ranger

Old 05-08-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
On 5 Aug 2006 04:48:57 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

All this balloney about birds. How about children and pets?

Yeah! Let's zap those nasty little knee biters! That'll teach people
to let their children roam instead of leashing and caging them as is
right and proper!

Penelope
- "pointed"

"The Ranger" did not catch my sarcasum (sic) - you did
Frank

Old 06-08-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Oh, before I forget, thanks Mr. Om for the web site. There's always
something to learn. Slow down and you get left behind. When I got out of
school, there were three states of "matter" in physics and two
"Kingdoms" in biology. Now I find that plasma has been added to gas,
liquid, solid, and Kingdom Fungi, Kingdom Monera, and Kingdom Protista
have been added to Kingdom Animalia, and Kingdom Plantae.

Like to chat, but I gotta' run.

Later.

Plasma was added a while back. Guess I better not bring up the
Bose-Einstein condensate... :-)

... ah what the heck:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose-Einstein_condensate

Harry, you are stressing my fragile Luddite ability to cope with my
slice of the electo-magnetic spectrum. People used to ride horses until
the beginning of the last century. If you were too sleepy to drive, you
got on the horse and said, "Barn", then all you had to do was hang on. I
think I'll just go back to earth, air , fire, and water, and call it a
day. I'll go watch the sunset, and take along a nice bottle of wine, a
baguette, and some quark. Just one! Probably a strange one.

ŕ ta santé

PS or Flash Gordon
Old 06-08-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Ms. Om. ;-)

2 strands. One about 4" high and one at about 14" up.
This keeps her from going _under_ or over the wires.

Honestly, I've never seen a dead bird in my front yard and the wires
keep the border collie from going over the fence.

Those dogs can JUMP!!!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Ms. Om!!!?,
mein Gott, the irony wasn't the only thing that got by your mother.

Pleased to make your,acquaintance ma'am.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"William L. Rose" wrote:

[...]

Back when I was a kid, I took a trip out west and got to ride an old
nag. She didn't want to be controlled, and when I said "barn" she
thought I meant "cactus." I never knew horses had a sense of humor.

think I'll just go back to earth, air , fire, and water, and call it a
day. I'll go watch the sunset, and take along a nice bottle of wine, a
baguette, and some quark. Just one! Probably a strange one.

ŕ ta santé

I'll settle for a scotch. Blended is just fine. :-)

PS or Flash Gordon

Old 06-08-2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"William L. Rose" wrote:

In article ,
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Ms. Om. ;-)

2 strands. One about 4" high and one at about 14" up.
This keeps her from going _under_ or over the wires.

Honestly, I've never seen a dead bird in my front yard and the wires
keep the border collie from going over the fence.

Those dogs can JUMP!!!

Ms. Om!!!?,
mein Gott, the irony wasn't the only thing that got by your mother.

Pleased to make your,acquaintance ma'am.

winks

I love Irony...
Posting to Brits taught me to appreciate it. ;-D
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Liquid Fence Deer Repellent Stinks trax Gardening 1 04-08-2009 11:51 PM
OT - Spring also means putting up a deer fence! Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 6 20-03-2008 01:51 AM
Deer fence? [email protected] Gardening 20 14-08-2007 01:00 AM
Deer fence height jerry Gardening 12 05-06-2005 03:41 AM
Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM