Old 02-02-2015, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Peppers and Patience

I always get frustrated because it seems to take forever for most types of
peppers to germinate . All the tomatoes have germinated and are doing well ,
but the only peppers that have shown any progress are the Serranos . So far
there are 5 of 6 cells showing some green . Anaheims never did germinate
last year , this year the seed is from a different source but still haven't
germinated . Sweet peppers and Jalapenos were planted a couple of days later
, they're not showing signs yet either . I guess I should just hang in there
, it's only been 9 days and I know they can be slow .
Patience may well be a virtue , but it ain't one of mine !
--
Snag

Old 02-02-2015, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 12:11:38 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
I always get frustrated because it seems to take forever for most types of
peppers to germinate . All the tomatoes have germinated and are doing well ,
but the only peppers that have shown any progress are the Serranos . So far
there are 5 of 6 cells showing some green . Anaheims never did germinate
last year , this year the seed is from a different source but still haven't
germinated . Sweet peppers and Jalapenos were planted a couple of days later
, they're not showing signs yet either . I guess I should just hang in there
, it's only been 9 days and I know they can be slow .
Patience may well be a virtue , but it ain't one of mine !
--
Snag

I had the same problem last year, so I've been doing a bit of study.
Growing/starting hints:
1)Peppers need bottom heat to sprout, soil temps above 75f are required.
2)Sphagnum peat causes germination issues.
3)The hotter the pepper, the longer it takes to germinate.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 02-02-2015, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
[...]

Well , I have no heat under the shalf , but it is close to our wood
burning stove , the warmest part of the room . I try to maintain 76° - 80°
average room temperature so that shouldn't be a problem . I'm using potting
soil in toilet paper tube halves , no moss AFAIK . The Serranos are now 6
for 6 , I just need to be patient and wait for the rest . I think the
jalapenos are probably the hottest , we're more after flavor than heat .

--
Snag

Old 03-02-2015, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
[...]

I just made a small shelf above and near the stove to set the pepper trays
on . Will be looking for germination soon ...

--
Snag

Old 03-02-2015, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 10:45:43 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
[...]

The top of the fridge works well if you can get the light there.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

Our refrigerator is built in to the camper ... the wife has a chunk of money
that will be available in August . That money will be enough to get the
kitchen framed up and dried in .
Our current living space is a 25' camping trailer connected to a 16 x 24
room with a temporary hallway .
--
Snag

Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

Wow! Shades of the past. We lived in a two bedroom, one bath mobile
home, aka trailer, eight feet wide by 47 feet long, butane heater,
butane stove, all aluminum for our first house. Two kids came along,
1961, 1963, built a real house in 1965. Sort of like camping out but it
was what we could afford. Our garden was bigger than the trailer, as a
matter of fact, the barn I built for the goats, chickens, and rabbits,
was bigger than our trailer. Wife suggested several times that we move
into the barn and put the critters in the trailer.

Thanks for bringing back to mind some very fine memories Snag.

George
Old 07-02-2015, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

hey all
I'm new to the group, posting from 6000 ft. elevation in southern Utah. This is our weekend to start seeds, and I want it to work this time. I've tried a lot of little kits and trays but never a heat light or mat, whatever I get needs to pay for itself vs. buying starts at our local nursery (and result in plants as big as theirs, but sooner!) Do you have a seed heating mat you love or a starting medium that's superior? How about ways to rig your own, on the cheap?
Any advice appreciated
thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/7/2015 12:25 PM, Michael Evangelista wrote:
hey all
I'm new to the group, posting from 6000 ft. elevation in southern Utah. This is our weekend to start seeds, and I want it to work this time. I've tried a lot of little kits and trays but never a heat light or mat, whatever I get needs to pay for itself vs. buying starts at our local nursery (and result in plants as big as theirs, but sooner!) Do you have a seed heating mat you love or a starting medium that's superior? How about ways to rig your own, on the cheap?
Any advice appreciated
thanks

A decent grow light is fairly affordable and essential. For a heat pad
you can use an regular heat pad that is adjustable but you will need
something inflammable sitting atop it to keep from cooking your
seedlings. The heat pad I have is intended for growing seedlings and is
made of a heavy rubber or plastic cover and has a wire stand. Have had
mine for years so don't remember what I paid for it. Take a look on the
web and you will see many sorts of grow lights and heat pads.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

He could also try a light bulb under whatever sheld he's using as a
germination station . Distance and wattage will give control over how hot
things get .
So far I've got serranos and bell peppers to germinate , still trying for
the anaheims and jalapenos . I WILL NOT let them l'il SOB's anaheims
defeat me two years in a row , they will germinate or else !!

--
Snag
yeah , right ...

Old 07-02-2015, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/7/2015 3:46 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Being in Texas it is easy to go to one of the many garden centers here
and buy chile plants from everywhere. One of my favorite poblano types
is "Carmen," ripens bright red, is mild in taste, thick walled, and
delicious. Even the big box stores like Lowe's carry Carmen.

Years ago I used to start all my own seed and traded chili seeds all
over the world. One of my favorites came from a fellow in Bulgaria and I
lost it one odd spring when a frost hit and had kept no seeds that year.
Can't even remember the name now. Another favorite I traded for is Aji
Limon de Peru, a flat, bright yellow, very spicy chili, still have some
seed from that one and it is now available state side. Burned out on the
hot stuff several years ago and now am only eating sissy chiles.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

I never really got past the "sissy chiles" . Jalapenos is about as hot as
I like - though pickled cayennes are quite tasty too . That was tasty ,
believe I'll have another ! Those have been in the refr since mid-September
, and they're good ! Too bad cayennes aren't on the list this year - I had 4
VERY productive plants last year and now have a 3 year supply of dried
cayennes . So does my neighbor ...
The reason for the serrano and anaheim peppers is chile rellenos , a dish
I've had in several Mexicam restaurants and think I can do better . They
cheap out on the stuffing ... and they use smaller peppers .
--
Snag

Old 08-02-2015, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

See if you can get some Carmen seed, they make really nice rellenos as
do the Giant Marconi, somewhat thicker walls than real poblanos. I just
can't handle the really spicy stuff anymore, guess eating so much hot
stuff over 60 or 70 years gets to your stomach lining. I do like Tiger
Sauce, Pic a Peppa, and Louisiana hot sauce in smaller bits though. I
never order chile rellenos unless I know the restaurant and how they
make them. We have about seven Mexican restaurants within a two mile
radius of us, two of them are really good, five of them are really
terrible. We lived in Corpus Christi, TX for a few years while I was in
the oil patch, had some really, really good Tex Mex restaurants there.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I make a killer Mexican pickled vegetable mix, but Jalapeno is as hot as I go for those. The goal this year is to grow everything that goes in the mix, the big question mark is how to have cauliflower ready at the same time as the carrots and jalapenos...we'll see, there's always the produce section to back me up.

Last year I made a really pretty bright orange hot pepper sauce, it started out as 4 quarts of pepper puree and ended up as less than 1 quart cooked down. Seeking the perfect pepper blend this summer.

I'll look for Carmen peppers, also interested in anything near jalapeno heat level (i.e. you can actually eat the things) but maybe larger, less processing etc when I make my pepper sauce.

thanks for all the tips, great to have found this fun group.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I got a heat mat from amazon , comes with a little plastic starter dome that will probably last one or two seasons, but together less than a similar mat alone. Now comes the question of light.

My workbench has a regular shop florescent fixture about 5 feet above the work surface. It is fixed (can't lower it) but I could hang a separate light below it, or swap out the tubes for super-UV or whatever bulbs you use, if it would work from that height. It is also next to a window, which will add some ambient but not direct sunlight during the day.