Old 22-02-2015, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default resisting temptation

yesterday out and about, saw packages of bean seeds
i did not have already on display. i looked, i had
the packages in my hand, read the descriptions and
had to tell myself that i really did not need even
more varieties that i don't have room to grow.

i put them back, someone else will have to give them
a new home. later on, if they have them for half price
or better i'll reserve the right to change my mind...

songbird
Old 22-02-2015, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
yesterday out and about, saw packages of bean seeds
i did not have already on display. i looked, i had
the packages in my hand, read the descriptions and
had to tell myself that i really did not need even
more varieties that i don't have room to grow.

i put them back, someone else will have to give them
a new home. later on, if they have them for half price
or better i'll reserve the right to change my mind...

songbird

What kind of bean ? We actually I , but ... grew Kentucky Wonder last
year , but decided we don't particularly like the flavor . This year we're
... going to grow some Blue Lake , since that's the most common AFAIK
canned bean on the grocery shelf . Hey , the flavor you're used to might be
the best one to grow for home canning .
On a side note , my seedlings are doing great 'maters and peppers except
the Anaheims and Jalapenos , both of which I've reseeded in new containers
because the first planting didn't germinate after 3 weeks . Might need more
patience ...
--
Snag

Old 22-02-2015, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

A friend of mine has about 3 genuine 'Anasazi Beans' from an actual anasazi dwelling. He's stored them in a dark dry jar for 30 years or more, but they could be as much as 1000 years old. He wants me to grow them in my garden since they originally came from this area. We've heard stories of people sprouting and growing them but I'd sure want to do it right. I don't know if we'd try all 3 at once, or one at a time ... or let somebody else who is a bean expert do it! So far I haven't taken him up on the offer but it is almost bean planting time again here. I should probably practice with some similar beans first and see how they do in our soil.
Old 22-02-2015, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/22/2015 11:02 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
[...]

I've grown Blue Lake, Contenders, and, this year, Kentucky Blue will be
planted. Contender or Blue Lake have always been good ones for us but
I'm hoping the Kentucky Blue will be a better flavored bean.

I would be planting now but there is a threat of a frost this week.
Old 22-02-2015, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/22/2015 11:20 AM, Michael Evangelista wrote:
A friend of mine has about 3 genuine 'Anasazi Beans' from an actual anasazi dwelling. He's stored them in a dark dry jar for 30 years or more, but they could be as much as 1000 years old. He wants me to grow them in my garden since they originally came from this area. We've heard stories of people sprouting and growing them but I'd sure want to do it right. I don't know if we'd try all 3 at once, or one at a time ... or let somebody else who is a bean expert do it! So far I haven't taken him up on the offer but it is almost bean planting time again here. I should probably practice with some similar beans first and see how they do in our soil.

I grew Hopi red limas last year, was a bust for our region, more vines
than beans. Still have some seed so may plant some next year (running
out of canned green beans so need to grow those this year in my limited
space) but only a sparse amount so they don't overgrow everything in
sight. Damned things got about twelve feet long so I had to prune them.

Old 22-02-2015, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
[...]

Most of the ice from the recent storms has melted ... we're expecting snow
later today . Right now it's just above freezing with an expected low
tonight up here in The Holler in single digits ... last freeze here is
usually in mid April .

--
Snag

Old 22-02-2015, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
What kind of bean ?

several, i didn't write them down, one wax/yellow bean
that had a mottled brownish seed (couldn't quite tell
the color of the seeds from the package). another was
a purple podded bean of some sort. others too, i just
had to get out of there...

We actually I , but ... grew Kentucky Wonder last
year , but decided we don't particularly like the flavor . This year we're
... going to grow some Blue Lake , since that's the most common AFAIK
canned bean on the grocery shelf . Hey , the flavor you're used to might be
the best one to grow for home canning .

Blue Lake is very common and it works for most
people well enough that they don't ever grow any
others.

On a side note , my seedlings are doing great 'maters and peppers except
the Anaheims and Jalapenos , both of which I've reseeded in new containers
because the first planting didn't germinate after 3 weeks . Might need more
patience ...

might need more heat below.

songbird
Old 22-02-2015, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 11:39:09 -0500, songbird
wrote:

yesterday out and about, saw packages of bean seeds
i did not have already on display. i looked, i had
the packages in my hand, read the descriptions and
had to tell myself that i really did not need even
more varieties that i don't have room to grow.

i put them back, someone else will have to give them
a new home. later on, if they have them for half price
or better i'll reserve the right to change my mind...

songbird

My favorite green beans are Roma II and French Filet. Not sure I will
be planting any of them until I check the supply.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 23-02-2015, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/23/2015 10:38 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

I would be planting now but there is a threat of a frost this week.

We've just cleared what I hope is the last bout of freezing or
near-freezing overnight temperatures that have helped me rationalize my
failure to plant in a timely manner this spring ;-). At least days have
been relatively warm and sunny—except for the rain—and it dropped to
freezing before about 4AM on only one night so for the most part it was
very cold very briefly. Temps have warmed but now we're anticipating a
couple of rainy days which may bring more chilly weather; who knows.
The window for planting "cool season" crops is closing and the
on-off again "minivernalisations" of Florida winter will have the fall
greens bolting any day now. If the weather stays warm, there may be
little point to planting carrots but I will, anyway, of course: Having
been kept by cats for 40 years, I recognize that expectation is the
largest part of most enterprises ;-) Still have time for one more
"late" (Spring) planting of "little marvel" peas. They should be good
'til May or June. As a rule, they eventually succumb to powdery mildew
(April-May) and/or heat (June). That last planting will coincide with
the _first_ planting of a new-to-me OP variety labeled "Wando" that is
promoted by the seed vendor as more heat-tolerant than most other garden
peas. I have no knowledge of their growth habit or flavor.
Almost time for tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, beans, etc. Except
for the beans, cool soil is not an issue in my raised beds after
mid-late February so most years I just wait for consistently warm-enough
overnight air temperatures and direct-seed, planting only what I intend
to eat plus a little for the freezer.

Have you tried crowder or blackeyed peas? They generally like the heat
of mid to late summer and produce well. Crowder peas were my money crop
when was a kid. Planted three acres of them along old highway 90 in
Orange County, TX (Pre interstate highways). Pick your own for one
price, I would pick them for a higher price. Crowders and blackeyed peas
have been a staple in the south for a long time. I grow crowders along
the six-foot board fence in the backyard and hang string for them to
climb. There are also crowders that are bush type. Might be worth a shot.
Old 23-02-2015, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

yesterday out and about, saw packages of bean seeds
i did not have already on display. i looked, i had
the packages in my hand, read the descriptions and
had to tell myself that i really did not need even
more varieties that i don't have room to grow.

i put them back, someone else will have to give them
a new home. later on, if they have them for half price
or better i'll reserve the right to change my mind...

You display remarkable (and somewhat disappointing) strength of
character, an affliction with which I, fortunately, have never had to
contend....

in my defense i was under the influence of
good chinese food from our favorite place.
we've been going there for 40-something years.

Umm... I believe surviving such a crushing revelation deserves a
beer. Think I'll take it and go (wearing short sleeves, BTW) see
whether any peas are ready this morning. Got any more bad news?

we might hit 31F in a week. last night was -19F.
i hope the cold air doesn't get that far south again.

today is beautiful out, bright shining sun. i may
go outside for a few minutes.

Wandos look promising, let us know how they fare.
i've not grown any of them here, but the pods are
thick like the soup peas i grow.

songbird

Old 24-02-2015, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/23/2015 6:47 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Have you tried crowder or blackeyed peas? They generally like the heat
of mid to late summer and produce well. Crowder peas were my money crop
when was a kid. Planted three acres of them along old highway 90 in
Orange County, TX (Pre interstate highways). Pick your own for one
price, I would pick them for a higher price. Crowders and blackeyed peas
have been a staple in the south for a long time. I grow crowders along
the six-foot board fence in the backyard and hang string for them to
climb. There are also crowders that are bush type. Might be worth a shot.

Yes. I grow "california" blackeye or purplehull pinkeye AWA
"zipper cream" crowder cowpeas every year. I buy the blackeyes off the
rack locally, pretty much just grabbing whatever's there, and the
crowders from a OP seed exchange in Virginia. As with some other
legumes, the tendency to vine or to ramble is somewhat affected by plant
spacing. I see no evidence that removing the vines increases yield,
despite a lifetime of hearing rumors and sage advice. In fact, my
experience has been the opposite. I block plant in raised beds instead
of in uniform rows and trellis them, after a fashion, by providing
bamboo poles on which they may climb. Cowpeas seem to stand up to the
heat better than any other legume except peanuts and may be
succession-planted far later into the year than any other bean I've ever
tried in this locale. As a child of the south, I cannot imagine a diet
that does not include (hominy) grits, corn bread, collards, "peas" and
100% sugar cane syrup.

I block plant in raised beds for most peas and beans, the crowders get
planted along the back fence and have nylon cord to climb and do a good
job of it. I'm sort of burned out on crowders but wife found some brown
crowders at an old mercantile store in my home town of Orange, TX so
will plant some of those this spring.

I'm also a child of the south, SE Texas, with a momma from Oklahoma
Territory (1905 birth), and a Dad from Central Louisiana (1911 birth) so
we didn't eat a lot of collards or grits of any kind. Did eat hominy,
generally home made, Arkansas cornbread (without sugar), any kind of
peas or beans and also 100% cane syrup. Plus rice from the rice
warehouse I worked in as a kid, 100 lbs at a time, big bag sitting in
the kitchen corner with a two-cup dipper in it. Nowadays I only eat
brown rice, helps with the diabetes. My favorite dish is cornbread and
large lima beans cooked with sausage or a ham hock, that was our go to
food when Dad was on strike at the refinery and for my own family when
money was short. Still like them beans and cornbread as do most of our
get. I guess it's all about what you grow up eating. I tell my great
grandkids about taking a quarter to the old store/filling station two
miles down the highway and getting two candy bars, a cold drink, bag of
chips, and a pack of chewing gum for that quarter and they just look at
me. Probably thinking, "Crazy ol' coot, you can't get that much stuff
for a quarter." And, when I tell them the quarter was made of solid
silver they still don't believe me. They will eat lima beans over
cornbread though.
Old 24-02-2015, 10:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
me. Probably thinking, "Crazy ol' coot, you can't get that much stuff
for a quarter." And, when I tell them the quarter was made of solid
silver they still don't believe me.

They will eat lima beans over cornbread though.

lima beans are one of our favorites here but seem to
need a little longer season and a drier fall to really do
well than what we have. i always grow some anyways.
some i will pick them early when the pods are full, shell
them out and cook them up.

i haven't really looked into different varieties of them
yet, but probably should as they might have some that are
earlier and will do better.

as for sweeteners, some folks are developing bee hive
frames that can be harvested without taking the bee hive
apart. wonderful idea.

around this area if you can find someone who makes maple
syrup that is divine. i've been other places where sorghum
syrup is used. haven't used cane syrup too often that i
can remember, i think up here corn syrup is prevalent.

songbird

Temptation for the Scottishurglers Sue Begg United Kingdom 3 15-01-2008 03:42 PM
Paph Temptation Gene Schurg Orchids 4 29-07-2007 02:49 PM
Temptation Corn FDR Edible Gardening 5 08-04-2005 12:39 PM
resisting the temptation Mike Roses 6 02-03-2004 10:03 PM