Old 18-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Gyve Turquoise

Default chelated iron - haven't got any

I recently posted a query here about chelated iron for a lemon tree. Thanks
for the reply, but I can't find anything suitable to use here. I have asked
at several garden centres and looked through catalogues without joy. I
should mention that I live in Japan.

Is there any common product I can use as a substitute for chelated iron or
any easy way to cook the stuff up? What I want to do is solve my tree's
problem with the lack of iron, so any suggestions are welcome.

Old 18-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Ken Saunders

"Gyve Turquoise" wrote in message ...
I recently posted a query here about chelated iron for a lemon tree. Thanks
for the reply, but I can't find anything suitable to use here. I have asked
at several garden centres and looked through catalogues without joy. I
should mention that I live in Japan.

Is there any common product I can use as a substitute for chelated iron or
any easy way to cook the stuff up? What I want to do is solve my tree's
problem with the lack of iron, so any suggestions are welcome.

Gyve....Would the compound that turns Hydrangea's blue, be of any use.
A cheap substitute is iron nails underplanted
Old 20-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Gyve Turquoise said:

I recently posted a query here about chelated iron for a lemon tree. Thanks
for the reply, but I can't find anything suitable to use here. I have asked
at several garden centres and looked through catalogues without joy. I
should mention that I live in Japan.

Is there any common product I can use as a substitute for chelated iron or
any easy way to cook the stuff up? What I want to do is solve my tree's
problem with the lack of iron, so any suggestions are welcome.

Foliar feeding the tree a solution made with kelp or other seaweed might help.

You could also consider grinding up a few tablets of an iron supplement made
for human consumption.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 22-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Gyve Turquoise

"Repeating Decimal" wrote in message
in article , Gyve Turquoise at
wrote on 5/17/03 6:14 PM:

I recently posted a query here about chelated iron for a lemon tree.

Thanks
for the reply, but I can't find anything suitable to use here. I have

asked
at several garden centres and looked through catalogues without joy. I
should mention that I live in Japan.

Is there any common product I can use as a substitute for chelated iron

or
any easy way to cook the stuff up? What I want to do is solve my tree's
problem with the lack of iron, so any suggestions are welcome.

It may be that the people you are talking to have no idea of what you

mean.

It's extremely likely since my Japanese is very bad.

Many formulations are available with iron chelates. I know that Ortho

makes
some. Ironite is another trade name for gypsum mixed with iron.

Thanks for the advice. Is gypsum mixed with iron the same as iron chelates?

Hydroponic
supply stores should have some available. My guess is that you have not
looked into it very well.

You are right that I probably haven't looked into it well enough, but I live
in Japan so the names of the products and the suppliers are different from
the ones in your country. Unfortunately I don't know any hydroponic supply
stores here. I don't even know the Japanese for "hydroponic supply store"
either.

Old 22-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Gyve Turquoise

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

Foliar feeding the tree a solution made with kelp or other seaweed might

help.

You could also consider grinding up a few tablets of an iron supplement

made
for human consumption.

Thank you for the ideas. How many tablets do you think I need to use?

Old 22-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Gyve Turquoise

"Ken Saunders" wrote in message
om...
"Gyve Turquoise" wrote in message

Gyve....Would the compound that turns Hydrangea's blue, be of any use.
A cheap substitute is iron nails underplanted

Does it really work for lemons? There are so many bits of rusty metal to be
found in Japan.

Old 22-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim Carter

Gyve Turquoise said:

Is there any common product I can use as a substitute for chelated iron or
any easy way to cook the stuff up? What I want to do is solve my tree's
problem with the lack of iron, so any suggestions are welcome.

Iron sulphate is usually one of the ingredients found in fertilisers that
contain micronutrients.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 23-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Brian

wrote on 5/22/03 6:18 AM:

You are right that I probably haven't looked into it well enough, but I

live

in Japan so the names of the products and the suppliers are different

from

the ones in your country. Unfortunately I don't know any hydroponic

supply

stores here. I don't even know the Japanese for "hydroponic supply

store"

either.

These are your shortcomings. Do not expect to be spoon fed elementary

stuff

via USENET.

I'm very sorry, Bill, for expecting you to spoonfeed me elementary stuff via
USENET. In future, could you please spoonfeed me elementary stuff by email?

Just ignore them. I hope most of the people in here don't act the way
they do in here in real life. I never saw a bigger bunch of snot-nosed,
rude, keyboard rambo, cry babies in all the other groups I visit.
If it comes down to it, why even have the group ? You can find
everything out on the net. You can ask a valid question that they may
not seem is important, so they flame away.
I myself am tired of the way the group has an "attitude" so lets get
this straight.

Treat people like you want to be treated, or at least like you were face
to face with them in real life.
You were once new also.
Nobody runs this group, nobody has more pull or more say then another.
If you don't have an answer to the question......move on, don't flame it
or say something totally different.
Bottom line, don't be a dick

Now I will wait for all the people that feel they have to announce when
they Ploink somebody.

Old 23-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Gyve Turquoise

"Brian" wrote in message

Just ignore them. I hope most of the people in here don't act the way
they do in here in real life. I never saw a bigger bunch of snot-nosed,
rude, keyboard rambo, cry babies in all the other groups I visit.

You obviously have much more skill than me in choosing what to read. There
are "characters" in the other newsgroups I read who make this one look
rather tame. I've found the posters here very helpful with my queries so
far. Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply.

If it comes down to it, why even have the group ? You can find
everything out on the net. You can ask a valid question that they may
not seem is important, so they flame away.

I'm not sure Bill was flaming, I think he was making a joke! I said I didn't
know what "hydroponic supply store" was in Japanese, and he said not to ask
about elementary stuff. Obviously this question is very difficult for
everyone to answer, so I think Bill was being ironic. I think he really
meant "don't ask this kind of difficult question to me".

I myself am tired of the way the group has an "attitude"

Does it? I read some newsgroups which are infested with really nasty bozos.
The posters I have seen on "rec.gardens.edible" seem reasonable enough.

Old 23-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Gyve Turquoise said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

Foliar feeding the tree a solution made with kelp or other seaweed might
help.

You could also consider grinding up a few tablets of an iron supplement
made for human consumption.

Thank you for the ideas. How many tablets do you think I need to use?

As a totally wild guess, I'd try crushing a couple and disolving in maybe
1 liter of water. Use some as a foliar spray on some of the tree (to make
sure it does no harm) and the rest when watering. Repeat the foliar feed
if that goes well. Increase the dosage llittle by little if you see no effect at all.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-05-2003, 02:32 PM
B.Server

On 18 May 2003 11:41:24 -0700, (Ken
Saunders) wrote:

"Gyve Turquoise" wrote in message ...
I recently posted a query here about chelated iron for a lemon tree. Thanks
for the reply, but I can't find anything suitable to use here. I have asked
at several garden centres and looked through catalogues without joy. I
should mention that I live in Japan.

Is there any common product I can use as a substitute for chelated iron or
any easy way to cook the stuff up? What I want to do is solve my tree's
problem with the lack of iron, so any suggestions are welcome.

Gyve....Would the compound that turns Hydrangea's blue, be of any use.
A cheap substitute is iron nails underplanted

The OPs problem can either be a lack of iron in the soil or a soil pH
that renders the iron unavailable. (and they are not mutually
exclusive)

If you have the first instance, iron can be added in pretty much any
form. If the second, either the pH needs to be lowered to the point
that the existing iron becomes available or you can use chelated iron.

You have not said where in Japan you are. If you are in or around a
large city, you might try one of the outlets of Tokyu Hands. I have
found them to have a number of English or other European language
speaking staff and a fairly large number of products that are "dual"
packaged, for export so that there is at least some Romanji that would
help you find an iron-containing product, (iron sulfate, for example)
Old 23-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Repeating Decimal

wrote on 5/22/03 11:57 PM:

I'm not sure Bill was flaming, I think he was making a joke! I said I didn't
know what "hydroponic supply store" was in Japanese, and he said not to ask
about elementary stuff. Obviously this question is very difficult for
everyone to answer, so I think Bill was being ironic. I think he really
meant "don't ask this kind of difficult question to me".

I normally try to be nice to posters even if they ask inane questions. On
the other hand, when it seems that someone asks for help without making the
slightest effort to learn but expect others to do their leg work for them, I
do tend not to suffer them gladly. I do realize, however, that sometimes
their effort is not well expressed by their words. I apologize for those
lapses in my decorum.

Problems like that tend to show up in scientific newsgroups. Students
sometimes ask for solutions to their homework without any effort on their
own behalf. Such posts greatly irritate me, and my replies cannot hid my
frustration with them. I also get irritated when someone expects specific
answer they can look up as well as the people they are asking. For this
group such a question may be: how much nitrogen is there in ammonium
sulfate? Even if you do not have enough chemical knowledge to do that for
yourself, it is something easily looked up in a gardening book that covers
fertilizers.

Bill