Old 21-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Ken Anderson

Default Bulgarian Carrot Hot Pepper

I ordered "Bulgarian Carrot Hot Pepper" seeds form Park's. Is anyone familiar
with it? Actually, what I'm hoping to find is a hot pepper that has a
berry-like fruitiness to it, but without the high heat. As an example, Thai
Hot has a delicious fruity flavor to it when you first bite it. But about two
seconds later the heat overtakes your senses. Maybe such a thing doesn't
exist?
Ken

Old 21-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Ross Reid

"Ken Anderson" wrote:

I ordered "Bulgarian Carrot Hot Pepper" seeds form Park's. Is anyone familiar
with it? Actually, what I'm hoping to find is a hot pepper that has a
berry-like fruitiness to it, but without the high heat. As an example, Thai
Hot has a delicious fruity flavor to it when you first bite it. But about two
seconds later the heat overtakes your senses. Maybe such a thing doesn't
exist?
Ken

We grow many varieties of hot peppers and have grown the Bulgarian
Carrot peppers for the past 3 years. We obtained the seeds from Kings
Seeds in New Zealand.
We are also a family that loves hot, spicy food and I can't say that
these particular peppers have any berry like flavours but, rest
assured, they are HOT.
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º19' North
80º16' West
Old 21-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:53:38 -0500, "Ken Anderson"
wrote:

I ordered "Bulgarian Carrot Hot Pepper" seeds form Park's. Is anyone familiar
with it? Actually, what I'm hoping to find is a hot pepper that has a
berry-like fruitiness to it, but without the high heat.

This will be my first year growing Bulgarian Carrot peppers, too.
I've all kinds of good things about them, so I can't wait to try
them.

As an example, Thai
Hot has a delicious fruity flavor to it when you first bite it. But about two
seconds later the heat overtakes your senses.

Have you ever tried Mirasol peppers? They're only medium hot, but
they do have a hint of fruitiness. Check out some of the paprika
peppers, too. Some of them have a sweet kinda heat that's very
interesting. Lemon Drops have a definite citrus edge to their
flavor, but they're hotter; not as hot as Thai peppers, but
still, ...er... hottish. Oh, and Pulla or Pulli, not sure which,
is supposed to have a bit of a licorice flavor, but I've never
tried them.

Maybe such a thing doesn't exist?

With the thousands of varieties of peppers out there, I'm sure
there's one that will give you the flavor you're looking for.
Now, finding it might be a different story...

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"
Old 21-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Jon Shemitz

Ken Anderson wrote:

I ordered "Bulgarian Carrot Hot Pepper" seeds form Park's. Is anyone familiar
with it? Actually, what I'm hoping to find is a hot pepper that has a
berry-like fruitiness to it, but without the high heat. As an example, Thai
Hot has a delicious fruity flavor to it when you first bite it. But about two
seconds later the heat overtakes your senses. Maybe such a thing doesn't
exist?

I'm very fond of the "Pretty In Purple" purple pequin. They sell it as
an 'ornamental', but it has that nice habanero fruitiness without
quite so much bite - more comparable to a serrano. It's good, sliced,
on pasta with garlic and olive oil; it makes a wonderful hot sauce,
chopped fine with vinegar and salt.

--

programmer, author http://www.midnightbeach.com
and father http://www.midnightbeach.com/hs

Old 22-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Ken Anderson said:

I ordered "Bulgarian Carrot Hot Pepper" seeds form Park's. Is anyone familiar
with it? Actually, what I'm hoping to find is a hot pepper that has a
berry-like fruitiness to it, but without the high heat. As an example, Thai
Hot has a delicious fruity flavor to it when you first bite it. But about two
seconds later the heat overtakes your senses. Maybe such a thing doesn't
exist?

I grew these. They were quite hot, but had a nice flavor underneath that.

'Fooled You' has the underlying flavor of a jalapeno without the heat.
This year I'm trying out 'Aji Dulce #2' which is a heatless (or nearly heatless)
habanero.

Both are available from Tomato Growers Supply. http://www.tomatogrowers.com

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Loki

Ken Anderson wrote:

I ordered "Bulgarian Carrot Hot Pepper" seeds form Park's. Is anyone familiar
with it? Actually, what I'm hoping to find is a hot pepper that has a
berry-like fruitiness to it, but without the high heat. As an example, Thai
Hot has a delicious fruity flavor to it when you first bite it. But about two
seconds later the heat overtakes your senses. Maybe such a thing doesn't
exist?

I grew some a few years ago,. If I remember rightly I wasn't too
impressed with them. But that may be my growing. They seemed to be
all tough skin and not much flesh. Hot though. Hmm I think my
hungarian yellow
waxes must have crossbred with them since they're not as mild as they
once were...
--
Cheers,

Old 23-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Ken Anderson

"Loki" on Bulgarian Hot...

I grew some a few years ago,. If I remember rightly I wasn't too
impressed with them. But that may be my growing. They seemed to be
all tough skin and not much flesh. Hot though. Hmm I think my
hungarian yellow
waxes must have crossbred with them since they're not as mild as they
once were...

Hungarian is another pepper I'm growing this year. I haven't grown them for
ages because I always felt they were too common. But last fall I was turned
on to the Hungarians in olive oil (with a few other ingredients) and WOW,
delicious! I have yet another 1.25 lb batch underway now (fifth one this
winter?) from store-bought peppers. $2.99/lb. Ouch!

Old 24-03-2004, 04:08 AM
Dianna Visek

What's the recipe?

Thanks, Dianna

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:44:37 -0500, "Ken Anderson"
wrote:

"Loki" on Bulgarian Hot...

I grew some a few years ago,. If I remember rightly I wasn't too
impressed with them. But that may be my growing. They seemed to be
all tough skin and not much flesh. Hot though. Hmm I think my
hungarian yellow
waxes must have crossbred with them since they're not as mild as they
once were...

Hungarian is another pepper I'm growing this year. I haven't grown them for
ages because I always felt they were too common. But last fall I was turned
on to the Hungarians in olive oil (with a few other ingredients) and WOW,
delicious! I have yet another 1.25 lb batch underway now (fifth one this
winter?) from store-bought peppers. $2.99/lb. Ouch!

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
lesliemm

My favorite, fruity, not too hot pepper is the Datil pepper. These are grown
commercially in St. Augustine, FL. My husband and I travel there from
Atlanta every year just to buy the plants. You can buy the plants online
also (try The Chili Woman), but they tend to run out of them quickly. I
grow them in pots and take them in over the winter. I get at least two
seasons out of each plant.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Ken Anderson

"lesliemm" wrote in message
link.net...
My favorite, fruity, not too hot pepper is the Datil pepper. These are grown
commercially in St. Augustine, FL. My husband and I travel there from
Atlanta every year just to buy the plants. You can buy the plants online
also (try The Chili Woman), but they tend to run out of them quickly. I
grow them in pots and take them in over the winter. I get at least two
seasons out of each plant.

I did some googling and read that the Datil, at 300,000 Scoville's, is
comparable to a Habanero. You must have found a milder strain!

Old 10-04-2004, 11:32 PM
lesliemm

Don't believe everything you read, LOL. The datils are also available in a
sweet variety. I have tried these also and find them too mild. Trust me the
original datils are closer in heat to a hot Serrano, not a Hab.
Leslie in Atlanta

"Ken Anderson" wrote in message
link.net...

Old 14-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Ken Anderson

"lesliemm" wrote in message
ink.net...
Don't believe everything you read, LOL. The datils are also available in a
sweet variety. I have tried these also and find them too mild. Trust me the
original datils are closer in heat to a hot Serrano, not a Hab.
Leslie in Atlanta

Well thanks. I bought Datil seeds off of Ebay. They're in the mail. I'm
growing five diiferent peppers this year. Seems I always get caught up in the
variety thing at seed starting time. : )
Ken

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM
Bulgarian Carrot Hot Pepper Ken Anderson Edible Gardening 1 21-03-2004 07:03 PM