Old 19-07-2004, 11:03 PM
fudge

Default Papavar giganteum

Thanks for the replies, I#m no nearer but, grocery store Poppy seeds
will not germinate, they are dried to death, and are sterile,
otherwise, if the sat on the shelf for too long and got damp they
would begin to germinate, Papavar Giganteum, and Sominferum both have
high yealds of Opium, which is the stuff Iam after, and as far as I'm
aware although they say on the seed packet all parts are poisenes, all
parts of the Opium Poppy are quite edible, althogh not tried grinding
up the Pod and Stalk to make Poppy tea, as as I've heard they will
give you a Jip stomack.
Cheers
Fudge

"Ken Anderson" wrote in message ...
"Steve" wrote in message

Katra wrote:

Question: Isn't it illegal to cultivate P. somniferum anywhere in the
United States? So why do they sell the seeds at the seed stores??

I've wondered that for years. I read an article in a garden magazine
that told about growing them. It said it was for people in Europe
because in the US they were not legal to grow. Right after that, I
saw them for sale in a Thompson & Morgan catalog.
I ordered some and grew them for about 2 years. I grew them in a
flower bed right near the street too. They were pretty. I got
compliments.

Steve

T & M bowed to U.S. pressure, and two years ago quit selling their "Hens and
Chicks" P. Somniferum. I wonder how much good that really did, other than
making some bureaucrats look like crusaders. Just another example of our
effective govenment.

You can grow poppies, just don't harvest the opium, as I understand it.

Old 20-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Pen

Mmmmm! No there was no recipe. I think I'll grow some and see how they turn out.
Old 21-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Katra

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Katra wrote:

Question: Isn't it illegal to cultivate P. somniferum anywhere in the
United States? So why do they sell the seeds at the seed stores??

I've wondered that for years. I read an article in a garden magazine
that told about growing them. It said it was for people in Europe
because in the US they were not legal to grow. Right after that, I
saw them for sale in a Thompson & Morgan catalog.
I ordered some and grew them for about 2 years. I grew them in a
flower bed right near the street too. They were pretty. I got
compliments.

Steve

But you did not try to "milk" the pods did you? ;-)

I've thought about calling the local extension office and checking it
out. There seems to be a lot of controvery about growing them. I have
some seeds, but have never tried to plant them. I'd _love_ to grow them
just for the beauty and the seeds... These are a mixed color variety.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 21-07-2004, 07:03 AM
rebecca

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 04:42:07 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Katra wrote:

Question: Isn't it illegal to cultivate P. somniferum anywhere in the
United States? So why do they sell the seeds at the seed stores??

I've thought about calling the local extension office and checking it
out. There seems to be a lot of controvery about growing them. I have
some seeds, but have never tried to plant them. I'd _love_ to grow them
just for the beauty and the seeds... These are a mixed color variety.

I've read a few times that it's okay to grow them as long as you don't
do the slitting-the-pods thing to get opium. We have some that
volunteer every year in our vegetable garden. I've tried growing them
other places, and they never do as well.

--Rebecca
Old 21-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Steve

Stan Goodman wrote:

I have never heard that either P. Somniferum or Giganteum is edible by
humans. Neither is usually regarded as a table vegetable, pot herb, or
flavoring agent. What, then, is the justification for discussing them in
rec.gardens.EDIBLE,...........................

Well, it's a stretch but the original poster did seem to want to
consume the product, in some way or other.
As for P. somniferum, we did manage to swing that around to
harvesting poppy seeds.

Steve

Old 21-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Stan Goodman

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:15:18 UTC, rebecca
opined:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 04:42:07 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Katra wrote:

[...]

rec.gardens.EDIBLE, seeing that there are other newsgroups in which they
would be actually on-topic?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Jim Elbrecht

On 18 Jul 2004 17:13:31 -0700, (Pen) wrote:

I've noticed a white seeded poppy, the packet says it's used for
halva. Is that P. somniferum as well?

Did they supply a recipe? I actually do see a recipe that says it
is Halva and uses poppy seed for garnish
[
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=84921 ]
but it doesn't resemble anything I'd call Halva.

The traditional Halva[h] that I've eaten is mostly sesame seeds. [and
egg albumen if memory serves].

I'm sure it's made differently around the world-- but here's a recipe
that looks like what I've eaten [though without the egg-- I'll check
the label next time I'm shopping];
2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup sesame tahini
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

cook the sugar and milk in sauce pan over medium heat to just under
soft ball stage, to 230F. Remove from fire and add tahini and vanilla.
Do not mix immediately. Let cool for 2 minutes. Beat with paddle or
spoon for a few seconds and pour quickly into a buttered pan.
xxxxxxxxxxx

Jim
Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Ken Anderson

"Katra" wrote in message
So does this site, and it specifically states that the seeds and pods
sold by them within the US are for decorative purposes only as opium
poppies are currently illegal to grow within the US.

http://www.poppiesinternational.com/

This is so wierd....

K.

The weirdest thing is paying $375 for seeds!

Old 22-07-2004, 02:02 AM
John Watson

www.parkseed.com sells them:

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/s...Search =poppy

John

Old 22-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Katra

In article tMGKc.116999$IQ4.61765@attbi_s02,
"John Watson" wrote:

www.parkseed.com sells them:

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/s...splay?storeId=
10101&catalogId=10066&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=3149&FromTextSear
ch=poppy

John