Old 10-04-2006, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Radio Free America

Default Helleborus?

Helleborus looks like a cool perennial for here in the Denver area.
They say it blooms in late winter. How neat.

It's also supposed to be good for shade and part shade. The area
where I'd like to plant some, is on an embankment that's mostly
shaded by some trees in summer but of course they have no leaves in
winter, but I guess that would be ok for this plant?

They also say it's evergreen. Really? Here in Denver or in southern
climates?

But I see the seed sellers on Ebay are only selling a few seeds at
a time and they're pricey. Why is that? It isn't one of those
plants that's very hard to get seeds started for, is it?

Do the seeds take like 6 months to germinate or anything?

I like more of a sure thing, where I can just plant seeds and they
go for it.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

don't bother with seeds honey, go to Southwest Gardens on 4114 Harlan
Street, in Wheat Ridge and ask for Cary West (phone number 423-5606) no he
doesn't have Hellebore, but he has other incredible things that will grow
there. (there's another garden center close by, but I can't remember the
name.....sorry, it's been seven years since I perused the nurseries, but at
least Southwest Gardens is still in business!!) if you go there, tell Cary
that "the madgardener in Eastern Tennessee who called you sent me" and he'll
have a good laugh and you'll find some awesome plants..............
let me know how you do!
maddie
. 142...

Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

[...]

How about just buying a ready-grown plant from a reliable LOCAL nursery?
It's not an uncommon plant.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"madgardener" wrote in message
don't bother with seeds honey, go to Southwest Gardens on 4114 Harlan
Street, in Wheat Ridge and ask for Cary West (phone number 423-5606) no
he doesn't have Hellebore, but he has other incredible things that will
grow there. (there's another garden center close by, but I can't remember
the name.....sorry, it's been seven years since I perused the nurseries,
but at least Southwest Gardens is still in business!!) if you go there,
tell Cary that "the madgardener in Eastern Tennessee who called you sent
me" and he'll have a good laugh and you'll find some awesome
plants..............
let me know how you do!
maddie

What a lousy post. You give her the business name, address, phone number and
a person to speak to, and this is supposed to be helpful?

(just kidding)

Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
Radio Free America wrote:

Helleborus looks like a cool perennial for here in the Denver area.
They say it blooms in late winter. How neat.

It's also supposed to be good for shade and part shade. The area
where I'd like to plant some, is on an embankment that's mostly
shaded by some trees in summer but of course they have no leaves in
winter, but I guess that would be ok for this plant?

They also say it's evergreen. Really? Here in Denver or in southern
climates?

But I see the seed sellers on Ebay are only selling a few seeds at
a time and they're pricey. Why is that? It isn't one of those
plants that's very hard to get seeds started for, is it?

Do the seeds take like 6 months to germinate or anything?

I like more of a sure thing, where I can just plant seeds and they
go for it.

Consider starting out with reasonable mature plants.

Mine have self seeded and four years later their babies are starting
to bloom.

Fair Weather Gardens has a few different varieties. The below book
lists many places. Watch out may turn you into a Hellebore lover )

Wonderful book perhaps in your library system.

Bill

Hellebores isbn 0-88192-266.-8

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 10-04-2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
Radio Free America wrote:

[...]

Do deer eat them, or aren't you in a deer zone, Bill? I'm just finding out
why none of my neighbors have anything but evergreen shrubs, and my
vegetable garden is wired like a prison yard.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message

et...
In article ,
Radio Free America wrote:

[...]

Deer no problem so far. I made a mistake on the ISBN should be
0-88192-266-8 . These plants started blooming here about march 1
maybe Feb. 20.

Makes you realize that rebirth is on its way in dark times. Who can
ask for more ?

There are many varieties . I'd look for upward facing blooms like I do
with tree peonies. Pricey to start but sometimes we have to bit the
bullet.

Another place to spend money below)

http://www.pineknotfarms.com/

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 10-04-2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"William Wagner" wrote in message

Deer no problem so far. I made a mistake on the ISBN should be
0-88192-266-8 . These plants started blooming here about march 1
maybe Feb. 20.

Makes you realize that rebirth is on its way in dark times. Who can
ask for more ?

Witch hazel is another like that. Saw one at Longwood Gardens many years
ago, making flowers half the size of a dime, with a gorgeous scent in
mid-March.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message

et...

Deer no problem so far. I made a mistake on the ISBN should be
0-88192-266-8 . These plants started blooming here about march 1
maybe Feb. 20.

Makes you realize that rebirth is on its way in dark times. Who can
ask for more ?

Witch hazel is another like that. Saw one at Longwood Gardens many years
ago, making flowers half the size of a dime, with a gorgeous scent in
mid-March.

I have two witch hazels about. That seem to be prone to vole damage so
I have to be vigilant. In a away we are just trying to extend the
bloom. Lovers of beauty. In difficult times it is easier to see. Once
the glut arrives we may have to throw out our early mistakes.

Being ruthless.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 11-04-2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message

et...

Deer no problem so far. I made a mistake on the ISBN should be
0-88192-266-8 . These plants started blooming here about march 1
maybe Feb. 20.

Makes you realize that rebirth is on its way in dark times. Who can
ask for more ?

Witch hazel is another like that. Saw one at Longwood Gardens many years
ago, making flowers half the size of a dime, with a gorgeous scent in
mid-March.

I have two witch hazels about. That seem to be prone to vole damage so
I have to be vigilant. In a away we are just trying to extend the
bloom. Lovers of beauty. In difficult times it is easier to see. Once
the glut arrives we may have to throw out our early mistakes.

Being ruthless.

Bill

Voles? Do they climb? The witch hazels I saw were almost 7 feet high.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message

s.n
et...

Deer no problem so far. I made a mistake on the ISBN should be
0-88192-266-8 . These plants started blooming here about march 1
maybe Feb. 20.

Makes you realize that rebirth is on its way in dark times. Who can
ask for more ?

Witch hazel is another like that. Saw one at Longwood Gardens many years
ago, making flowers half the size of a dime, with a gorgeous scent in
mid-March.

I have two witch hazels about. That seem to be prone to vole damage so
I have to be vigilant. In a away we are just trying to extend the
bloom. Lovers of beauty. In difficult times it is easier to see. Once
the glut arrives we may have to throw out our early mistakes.

Being ruthless.

Bill

Voles? Do they climb? The witch hazels I saw were almost 7 feet high.

About the roots asshole.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 11-04-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

[...]

Asshole? Hmm. Seems like everyone's drunk tonight. Is this the way you
spoke to your family when they asked you things like "We just made popcorn.
Want some?" Is this why they all left?

Old 11-04-2006, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote :

[...]

I checked with one. They don't have seedling size, only gallons,
and they want $13 each!

Here ya go - knock yourself out!
http://wholesale.thompson-morgan.com...product/4237/1

Old 11-04-2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote :

[...]

What's wrong with this picture?

I can buy Hollyhock seeds for about $3 per 500, and they want $56
for 100 of those? And they can take 6 months to germinate?

- Does 56 cents per plant sound better than $13.00 each at a nursery?

- Is it possible they're not as easy to get seeds from than other plants?

- A google search for "hellebore seeds" turned up quite a few results. Have
you tried that?

- Yes. They can take 6 months. They might also require stratification:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...n_of_seeds.htm

Old 11-04-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

then I guess you'll have to order them from Bluestone Perennials, or
Heronswood Nurseries or White Flower Farm or hunt around and find a mail
order company that has them. I have seedlings I could send a few of them
before it gets too hot............anyone on the western area know of a
source for Hellebore?
madgardener
"madgardener" wrote :

don't bother with seeds honey, go to Southwest Gardens on 4114
Harlan Street, in Wheat Ridge and ask for Cary West (phone
number 423-5606) no he doesn't have Hellebore, but he has
other incredible things that will grow there. (there's another
garden center close by, but I can't remember the
name.....sorry, it's been seven years since I perused the
nurseries, but at least Southwest Gardens is still in
business!!) if you go there, tell Cary that "the madgardener
in Eastern Tennessee who called you sent me" and he'll have a
good laugh and you'll find some awesome plants..............
let me know how you do!
maddie

But...I want helleborus!