Old 18-02-2003, 10:03 AM
jammer

Default Favorite Plants??

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:18:23 -0500, "LeeAnne"
wrote:

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Mine would probably be the purple coneflower . . . or sunflowers, wait, no
it's the sweet peas, ack no change that it's the columbine . . .arrrgghhh,
even I can't do it!! If I lived where I could grow them, it would be the
bird of paradise plant that I saw everywhere in San Diego a couple years
ago.

After giving it much thought, it would have to be my roses. They have
a sweet citrus smell that can't be beat or explained.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 18-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Pat Kiewicz

LeeAnne said:

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Tomatoes. Followed by peppers and sweet corn.

But I take it you mean ornamentals?

Perennials:
Spring: Salvia 'May Night'
Summer: Asclepias tuberosa
Fall: New England aster 'Purple Dome'

Shade tree: sugar maple

Ornamental tree: Cornus florida (plain white flowering dogwood)

Huge shrub/small tree: Amelanchier x 'Autumn Brilliance' (or any other
Amelanchier).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 18-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Ann

"Mark or Travis" expounded:

The links you provided look like plants out in the wild not plants in your
yard. Additionally the URL's you provided look like
educational/commercial/nonprofit sites not your personal web page. Show us
the entry garden including the entry. Then you may call me anything you
like.

Perhaps Tom doesn't have a picture of the plant in his garden.....so
what? The question was what was the favorite plant in your garden,
Tom's was Bursera microphylla, and he provided a picture. So a
favorite plant isn't valid without a picture in your own garden?

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 18-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Pam

Mark or Travis wrote:

"Pam" wrote in message

Iris Cohen wrote:

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you
not live without?

Lithodora 'Grace Ward.'

Amazing the various likes and dislikes.....this is one plant I would NOT
have in my garden. :-))

Why?

For similar reasons paghat mentioned - it may be our damp winters, but it does
die out in the center despite how well it is sheared back, leaving a donut of
foliage around a black center. I find the blue flowers garish and the plant
overused in our area - every rockery (and there are scores in the
Ballard/Phinney/Queen Anne area) has at least one screaming blue lithodora
spilling over it. There are so many superior groundcover and rockery plants
available here - I wish folks would use a little more creativity. My fellow
nursery workers consider it a bit of a joke plant.........

Iris, this is not intended to be a slam of your choice - just my personal
feelings for the plant. Hopefully lithodora responds more favorably in your
climate and I realize that in your zone you do not have the range of options
we do here.

pam - gardengal

Old 18-02-2003, 04:51 PM
simy1

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message ...
LeeAnne said:

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Tomatoes. Followed by peppers and sweet corn.

Chard. six month harvests of nutritious greens. and radicchio, which I
harvest well into january (under tunnels).

But I take it you mean ornamentals?

Impossible. One can not have the same relation with an inedible plant.

Perennials:
Spring: Salvia 'May Night'
Summer: Asclepias tuberosa
Fall: New England aster 'Purple Dome'

Asian lily. They come back year after year, rodents don't eat them,
they need no water, they slowly multiply, they take part sun, and they
look gorgeous. Honorable mention: lily of the valley, ground cover
with flowers that can populate dark patches where everything else
fails. I am also liking more and more the blue drifts that scilla can
produce in spring under my trees.

Shade tree: sugar maple

Chestnut or linden, both having beatiful vase shape, and both
providing edibles.

Ornamental tree: Cornus florida (plain white flowering dogwood)

Huge shrub/small tree: Amelanchier x 'Autumn Brilliance' (or any other
Amelanchier).

does it produce berries in abundance? Where can one get one? If one
were to consider vines, hardy kiwis and schizandra (yes, both edible)
are quite pretty.

Old 18-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Shelly

Hmm...I think my absolute favorite would have to be my blue-eyed grass
Sisyrinchium montanum, especially when the buds are just about to open, and
they really do remind me of a little blue eye, peaking out from between the
blade-like leaves. I think I especially like them because very few people
notice them when they visit my garden...they are like my own little secret.

....of course, this time of year, the first plants that popped into my head
when I read your question were daffodils and crocuses. I'm just so sick of
the cold and snow I'd give about anything to see them poking up out ground!

"LeeAnne" wrote in message
Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Mine would probably be the purple coneflower . . . or sunflowers, wait, no
it's the sweet peas, ack no change that it's the columbine . . .arrrgghhh,
even I can't do it!! If I lived where I could grow them, it would be the
bird of paradise plant that I saw everywhere in San Diego a couple years
ago.

------
If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay
awake at night wondering if there is a dog?
-----

Old 18-02-2003, 09:39 PM
paghat

In article , "Shelly"
wrote:

Hmm...I think my absolute favorite would have to be my blue-eyed grass
Sisyrinchium montanum, especially when the buds are just about to open, and
they really do remind me of a little blue eye, peaking out from between the
blade-like leaves. I think I especially like them because very few people
notice them when they visit my garden...they are like my own little secret.

I have Sisyrinchium californicum, Yellow-eyed Grass, shown he
http://www.paghat.com/yelloweyed.html
and Olysnium douglasi, Blue-eyed grass, shown he
http://www.paghat.com/widowgrass.html
The blue-eyed is especially pleasing. If I spot S. montanum offered
locally, I'll likely add it to the array. This is all cool stuff. One
reason I don't understand the relatively recent fad for grass clumps as
decorative plants is because the same turf effects can be made had with
things like evergreen blue-eyed grass but with the addition of bright
flowers & not so quick to wear out in the center.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 19-02-2003, 02:15 AM
jammer

I love the wildflowers too, Columbine and Black eyed Susan's are a close second
and third.
Colleen

i have some white liatris seed that arent particularly attractive,
imo. Would you like to have them?

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 19-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Stephen

(paghat) wrote:

"LeeAnne" wrote in message

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . .

Our shading Vine Maple is one of my absolute faves. It's not rare or
anything, it's a regular local native tree, but of unusually fine
appearance, & I don't think there are many rare pricey special Japanese
maple cultivars that would exceed its beauty.

I saw a picture of that one and instantly fell in love with the tree.
I have been meaning to find a place online to purchase a few, although
there is a pretty good chance that they would not be very happy here.
Rated for this zone, but most plants that thrive in the northwest seem
to do poorly in my neck of the woods. I think our summers are too
rough. It would be nice if I could offer them some shade during the
hottest part of the day, but I do not have much shade yet either.

I have been planting a lot of smaller trees but it will be many years
before any of them offer any shade. Real shame but around here it is
impossible to get any large trees for a reasonable price. The only
places to buy trees are the nurseries and they only offer the standard
landscaping stuff and although I have nothing against Pin Oaks, I am
not going to pay five hundred bucks just so I can have a good start on
some shade. I do occasionly give in and throw a few hundred at a
Japanese Maple, but that is about as far as I will go.

- Stephen
Old 19-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Charles

wrote:

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Mine would probably be the purple coneflower . . . or sunflowers, wait, no
it's the sweet peas, ack no change that it's the columbine . . .arrrgghhh,
even I can't do it!! If I lived where I could grow them, it would be the
bird of paradise plant that I saw everywhere in San Diego a couple years
ago.

Not very exotic, but from the number I have purchased and planted over
the years, I guess it would be impatiens.

Or maybe grass.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

Old 19-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Pat Kiewicz

simy1 said:

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

Shade tree: sugar maple

Chestnut or linden, both having beatiful vase shape, and both
providing edibles.

I'd put linden on my list, too, but I was feeling loyal to the sugar maple
in the back yard. My brother has a lovely old linden at his house. Fills
up with bees and butterflies when in bloom.

Maple syrup is edible too -- just not practical to make at home! Though you
can break the tips off a branch when the sap is running and get a sweet
drink, or sometimes even a sap-sicle, if it freezes overnight.

Huge shrub/small tree: Amelanchier x 'Autumn Brilliance' (or any other
Amelanchier).

does it produce berries in abundance? Where can one get one?

Yes, indeed -- and the birds love to gobble them up just before they
are dead ripe. They are widely available at nurseries (sold as ornamentals).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 19-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Shelly said:

Hmm...I think my absolute favorite would have to be my blue-eyed grass
Sisyrinchium montanum, especially when the buds are just about to open, and
they really do remind me of a little blue eye, peaking out from between the
blade-like leaves. I think I especially like them because very few people
notice them when they visit my garden...they are like my own little secret.

They are very subtle. Love my patch!

...of course, this time of year, the first plants that popped into my head
when I read your question were daffodils and crocuses. I'm just so sick of
the cold and snow I'd give about anything to see them poking up out ground!

Snowdrops and scilla! I have two varieties of snowdrops, one larger and
showier, the other small -- but fragrant.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 19-02-2003, 03:03 PM
animaux

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 02:37:00 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:54:04 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I would love to see your garden.

Not this week...it's all getting torn up AGAIN. A new garden shed
this time stucco and tile to match the house. The last of the lawn is
coming out in the front yard and I've decided to put in an aloe garden
in it's place. The rear flower garden will become an herb garden. The
guys that stucco coated the walls pretty much destroyed the back. I
post some pictures in the fall when it's back in shape!

Oh, so you mean you're like the rest of us who are never happy with their garden
and decide to rip it up almost yearly to move things here and there? This will
be my first year I don' t do that. I have to move the American beautyberry
and a few other plants not in the correct lighting, but save that, it is going
to stay the same this year.

Did you get the tape I sent?

Yes, thank you, I apologize for not saying thank you sooner, I've been
preoccupied with starting my new compost tea organic fertilizer
company and have let some social graces slip. Again thanks it was a
good tape!!

Glad you heard it. What's this organic fertilizer company you're setting up?

Old 19-02-2003, 03:03 PM
animaux

I believe a common name is "lenten rose" not Christmal rose.

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:29:30 +0900, "Ono" wrote:

"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote in message
I love my hellebores.

Which term do u often used to call that plant - hellebores or Christmal
rose?
Or can't we use these terms interchangeably?
Thanks in advance.

- Ono (a Asian gardener who aren't clear about plant names in english)

Carolyn
"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you

not
live without?

Lithodora 'Grace Ward.'

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 19-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Pam

Actually "Lenten or Christmas rose" refers to Helleborus niger specifically - the
rest are simply referred to as hellebores.