Old 30-07-2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Oak Tree Removal

I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

Old 30-07-2006, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

yes, we cut down three black walnut trees that were approx. 40 ft tall.
(new addition to house)

we have a professional cut them down, saying long lengths for the lumber
that are being dried right now (for new dining room table) and the short
lengths (1-3 ft) for hubby to "turn" on his lathe.

i think the charge was approx. $800.

--

rosie

"If you had a European prime minister who experienced what we've
experienced, it would be expected that he would retire or resign."
.................................................. .......william buckley

. ..

Old 30-07-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Freckles wrote:
I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Don't know but there are factors to consider like accessibility of
tree, if stump is to be ground and deposition of wood, since oak is
desirable as firewood or logs. Most important is not to give the tree
cutter a penny until job is complete.

Old 30-07-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Freckles" wrote in message
. ..
I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next
week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an
estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out
what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

I recently had two pin oaks cut down here in SC. The bigger of the two
required a permit to have removed. The estimates I got ranged from
$1200-$3000. The low figure didn't include haul away or stump grinding.
The higher figure included haul away but no stump grinding. We kept the
wood, rented a logsplitter, and made about 3 seasons' worth of firewood.

Make sure the company or individual you hire has a general liability policy
in place.

--
Tara

Old 30-07-2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:35:40 -0500, "Freckles"
wrote:

I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

Since I'm a woodworker I'd take the tree free of charge, but removing
the stump is another story. With this kind of job you'll get a
variety of prices (free to $1000). Best to ask to see proof of
insurance and bonded workers--ask your home insurance agent.

Old 30-07-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote in
:

Since I'm a woodworker I'd take the tree free of charge, but removing
the stump is another story. With this kind of job you'll get a
variety of prices (free to $1000). Best to ask to see proof of
insurance and bonded workers--ask your home insurance agent.

If you find someone willing to cut down a 40' tree for free, post his name
on here, will you?

Old 31-07-2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

I had something like this done in Philadelphia, PA last summer with a
maple tree in front of my house. The other issue you havent thought
about is what you will do when the tree is down, removed and the stump
ground out. Then what? That's where I am still stumped. I made a
mistake. I was left with a wide (2 or 3 yards wide) hole several feet
deep. Soooo...I filled part of it with the wood chips from the tree
and the rest with compost and then planted fescue. The ground is now
very spongy there and has sunk and Im sure will sink more. The grass
is not very healthy and is spotty. I dont know what to do now. I was
thinking of heaping bags of Scotts soil for lawns on it in the fall and
reseeding and crossing my fingers that it will work. So you need to
find out what to do with the large hole you will wind up with. Good
Luck.

Old 31-07-2006, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

The rotting wood chips used a lot of nitrogen leaving little for the
grass. Adding topsoil to the hole will prepare the area for seeding.
With a hole that large a truckload of topsoil will be a lot less $
than bags.

Old 31-07-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"cardarch" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had something like this done in Philadelphia, PA last summer with a
maple tree in front of my house. The other issue you havent thought
about is what you will do when the tree is down, removed and the stump
ground out. Then what? That's where I am still stumped. I made a
mistake. I was left with a wide (2 or 3 yards wide) hole several feet
deep. Soooo...I filled part of it with the wood chips from the tree
and the rest with compost and then planted fescue. The ground is now
very spongy there and has sunk and Im sure will sink more. The grass
is not very healthy and is spotty. I dont know what to do now. I was
thinking of heaping bags of Scotts soil for lawns on it in the fall and
reseeding and crossing my fingers that it will work. So you need to
find out what to do with the large hole you will wind up with. Good

That is one of the questions I will be asking the people I call for
estimates. If they don't do the work I want done, at a reasonable price,
then I'll find someone that will. That's why one gets written estimates.

Luck.

Old 31-07-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Uh........ pick up chain saw. Cut down tree. Cost, $000.00

Farmer John

Old 31-07-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

fudge wrote:

Uh........ pick up chain saw. Cut down tree. Cost, $000.00

Farmer John

Idiot drops tree on neighbor's house, gets sued, can't pay , gets in
fight with neighbor, paralyzes neighbor, gets sent to
pound-me-in-the-ass prison = PRICELESS!

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 31-07-2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote in news:Kdvzg.54$%j7.6
@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

fudge wrote:

Uh........ pick up chain saw. Cut down tree. Cost, $000.00

Farmer John

Idiot drops tree on neighbor's house, gets sued, can't pay , gets in
fight with neighbor, paralyzes neighbor, gets sent to
pound-me-in-the-ass prison = PRICELESS!

Carl

REALLY.

Nevermind the other scenerio where idiot tries sawing through the trunk
of a 40' tree and the chainsaw goes insane and cuts a major neck and/or
leg artery and idiot bleeds out before anyone can even dial 9-1...

Old 01-08-2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Right!!!! You live in America, the most lawyerized society on earth. I
suspect the major cost for a tree surgeon would be liability insurance.
Perhaps a lawyer should actually be present when the tree is removed. No
doubt many local, state and federal agency permits and licences would be
required.

F.J.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

fudge wrote:

Right!!!! You live in America, the most lawyerized society on earth. I
suspect the major cost for a tree surgeon would be liability insurance.
Perhaps a lawyer should actually be present when the tree is removed. No
doubt many local, state and federal agency permits and licences would be
required.

F.J.

yep - that's the land of the free for ya!

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 01-08-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"fudge" wrote in message
Right!!!! You live in America, the most lawyerized society on earth. I
suspect the major cost for a tree surgeon would be liability insurance.
Perhaps a lawyer should actually be present when the tree is removed. No
doubt many local, state and federal agency permits and licences would be
required.

F.J.

No, the tree is on my property and I can have it cut down any time I wish,
by anyone I wish. No permits, licenses or any legal paper work at all is
required.

The folks at the court house did recommended I make certain the company that
does the work has up-to-date liability insurance.

Which makes a lot of sense to me regardless of where one lives.