Old 08-03-2007, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Looking for walkway planting recommendations

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what to plant along a 20' walkway
to our front door. One side of the walkway will see full sun while the
other side will see quite a bit of shade.

I just priced boxwood and almost fainted.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If it has flowers occasionally, that
would be nice but not a necessity. I'd like to to be perenial, low-
growing and controllable either by natural growth patterns or with
clippers. Low cost is definitely a deciding factor since I might want to
continue the plantings on other boundries on the property.

I'm in west central Indiana. Zone 5c.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

FragileWarrior
:

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what to plant along a 20'
walkway to our front door. One side of the walkway will see full sun
while the other side will see quite a bit of shade.

I just priced boxwood and almost fainted.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If it has flowers occasionally,
that would be nice but not a necessity. I'd like to to be perenial,
low- growing and controllable either by natural growth patterns or
with clippers. Low cost is definitely a deciding factor since I
might want to continue the plantings on other boundries on the
property.

I'm in west central Indiana. Zone 5c.

Hon, I've not see the area you want to plant. Would daylillies work
with the amount of sun you have?

Michael

Hmmm... they would and I love daylilies but I have them in other places
and I'd have to think seriously about putting them along the walkway,
too. The best thing about daylilies is that they are free around here.
Free is good.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/8/07 8:52 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

[...]

You could go for some of the low growing daylilies - I have several that are
less than a foot tall with the flowers.

And how about sedums? Coral bells (aka huechera), crane's bill geraniums?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-03-08 08:20:51 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what to plant along a 20' walkway
to our front door. One side of the walkway will see full sun while the
other side will see quite a bit of shade.
I'm in west central Indiana. Zone 5c.

I'm a big fan of monkey grass (Lily grass?). I use it along my
walkway, as a border in some of my beds and plant it closer than
recommended so its super-thick and has a lovely drape to it. I don't
know if it grows well in your area as I'm in zone 8.

--
Tara

Old 08-03-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

I think another name for lily grass may be liriope. It comes is several
variegations and sizes.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote in
:

I think another name for lily grass may be liriope. It comes is

several
variegations and sizes.

I like this version of it:
http://classygroundcovers.com/item--...ee-%7B50-Bare-
Root-plants%7D-muscari-Border-Grass--340

The drought resistant part works well, too, since we don't water outside
plants because of the cost of water here.

Coral bells are nice, too.

Keep suggestin', folks!
Old 08-03-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-03-08 12:03:46 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

I like this version of it:
http://classygroundcovers.com/item--...ee-%7B50-Bare-
Root-plants%7D-muscari-Border-Grass--340

The drought resistant part works well, too, since we don't water outside
plants because of the cost of water here.

I don't know which cultivar I have. So many of the ones on that page
have purple flowers and green blades. Ours is in direct sun all day
(except about 2' of it which is shaded by the house) and is totally
dependent on rain. It can be hacked with the weed-eater, cut into with
the lawn mower and played in by frisky dogs who like cool grass and
still always look beautiful. It even looks great in the winter. I
think you'd literally have to dig it up and leave it out to dry to kill
it. Here's some pics of mine from both sides...ignore the dogs.

http://homepage.mac.com/taraosment/m...toAlbum19.html

--
Tara

Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

scfundogs wrote in news:55b3lmF24b408U1
@mid.individual.net:

On 2007-03-08 12:03:46 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

I like this version of it:
http://classygroundcovers.com/item--...as-Tree-%7B50-

Bare-
Root-plants%7D-muscari-Border-Grass--340

The drought resistant part works well, too, since we don't water

outside
plants because of the cost of water here.

I don't know which cultivar I have. So many of the ones on that page
have purple flowers and green blades. Ours is in direct sun all day
(except about 2' of it which is shaded by the house) and is totally
dependent on rain. It can be hacked with the weed-eater, cut into with
the lawn mower and played in by frisky dogs who like cool grass and
still always look beautiful. It even looks great in the winter. I
think you'd literally have to dig it up and leave it out to dry to kill
it. Here's some pics of mine from both sides...ignore the dogs.

http://homepage.mac.com/taraosment/m...toAlbum19.html

Cute dogs.

In the first photo the plants are a little yellow at the tips. Is that
from being trimmed or hit by a mower? Or was it just an off season for
it then? The plants in the second photo are lovely.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-03-08 13:55:07 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

In the first photo the plants are a little yellow at the tips. Is that
from being trimmed or hit by a mower? Or was it just an off season for
it then? The plants in the second photo are lovely.

It was either December or January when the ones with the black puppies
were taken so that's winter tip-yellowing. It doesn't get any worse
than what you saw. The two with the Boxer are summer pics so its all
green.

--
Tara

Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:20:51 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what to plant along a 20' walkway
to our front door. One side of the walkway will see full sun while the
other side will see quite a bit of shade.

I just priced boxwood and almost fainted.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If it has flowers occasionally, that
would be nice but not a necessity. I'd like to to be perenial, low-
growing and controllable either by natural growth patterns or with
clippers. Low cost is definitely a deciding factor since I might want to
continue the plantings on other boundries on the property.

I'm in west central Indiana. Zone 5c.

Monkey grass is different than lilyturf. The two below links will show
Liriope.

http://magnoliagardensnursery.com/pr...ope_Aztec.html

The below will show you lillyturf, Ophiopogon.
http://classygroundcovers.com/cat---...FQc1gQodBglLlQ

Neither of these is an option for you as they are not hardy much
further north than zone 7.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-03-08 18:16:58 -0500, Jangchub said:

Monkey grass is different than lilyturf. The two below links will show
Liriope.

I often see labels here in SC say Monkey Grass aka Lily Turf. This
link to Daves Garden shows it as Liriope Muscari with the common names
of Lily Turf, Monkey Grass, Lilyturf and the synonym of Ophiopogon
muscari.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1612/index.html

--
Tara

Old 09-03-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 18:47:20 -0500, scfundogs

On 2007-03-08 18:16:58 -0500, Jangchub said:

Monkey grass is different than lilyturf. The two below links will show
Liriope.

I often see labels here in SC say Monkey Grass aka Lily Turf. This
link to Daves Garden shows it as Liriope Muscari with the common names
of Lily Turf, Monkey Grass, Lilyturf and the synonym of Ophiopogon
muscari.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1612/index.html

Common names mean nothing to me. The point is, neither of these are
suitable for the climate of the original poster and they are different
plants, altogether, but look alike. The labels are wrong and should
give the botanical name which makes the name universal.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

On 2007-03-08 18:16:58 -0500, Jangchub said:

Monkey grass is different than lilyturf. The two below links will

show
Liriope.

I often see labels here in SC say Monkey Grass aka Lily Turf. This
link to Daves Garden shows it as Liriope Muscari with the common names
of Lily Turf, Monkey Grass, Lilyturf and the synonym of Ophiopogon
muscari.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1612/index.html

Common names mean nothing to me. The point is, neither of these are
suitable for the climate of the original poster and they are different
plants, altogether, but look alike. The labels are wrong and should
give the botanical name which makes the name universal.

Oh well, until spring planting time comes, we might as well discuss
whatever we want to discuss. I always check zone recommendations before
I buy so everyone might as well just chime in with their favs -- maybe
other people will benefit. shrug
Old 09-03-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-03-08 18:16:58 -0500, Jangchub said:

[...]

Well I had to re-cycle my brain back about 20 years, and here are a
few I recall:

shade: hosta, bleeding heart, astilbe, ferns and columbine

sun: echinacea, peony, phlox, shasta daisy, rudbeckia, coreopsis,
delphinium,
hardy geranium (Johnson's Blue is pretty)
I always liked deep purple N.E. Aster and goldenrod
I have them in a border with rudbeckia and grasses, and echinacea
(coneflower)

Yes, the dwarf/mini daylilies are really nice, too. I have several,
Mambo Maid (red)
Hollywood Tootsie (orange) Little Gypsy Vagabond (cream with purple
eye) and
Green Flutter (yellow-green w/ green eye) there are so many now to
choose from.
Have fun, FW!

Emilie in NorCal
where flowering plum and daffs are in full bloom
sorry, I just had to say it :^ )

Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
On 2007-03-08 18:16:58 -0500, Jangchub said:
[...]

Hakonechlea (sp?) makes a nice edging for sun or shade, if you like the
mounding habit (I do).