Old 12-04-2007, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Shade Privacy Tree Suggestions?

Hello, and thanks in advance for your assistance. I am in zone 7, on Long
Island, New York. I am looking for some privacy trees that would preferably
grow tall and full, yet not too wide, as their location is not a very wide
space (between a fence and a path). They would be in partial to almost full
shade, which I know would rule out many evergreens such as arborvitae. While
I prefer an evergreen suggestion, it could also be a non-evergreen, as the
privacy I seek is mostly for the summer months. Thanks very much for your
time and advice.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

A lot of trees that tolerate full shade would be short because in their
native habitat they would be and understory tree. Some would grow tall and
fast after a disturbance where sunlight is increased. What are the species
of trees that are there now?

Its a hard question to answer. I do not have the answer.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"saabdued" wrote in message
Hello, and thanks in advance for your assistance. I am in zone 7, on Long
Island, New York. I am looking for some privacy trees that would
preferably grow tall and full, yet not too wide, as their location is not
a very wide space (between a fence and a path). They would be in partial
to almost full shade, which I know would rule out many evergreens such as
arborvitae. While I prefer an evergreen suggestion, it could also be a
non-evergreen, as the privacy I seek is mostly for the summer months.
Thanks very much for your time and advice.

I can't help with plant suggestions, but whatever ideas you gather, you
might want to visit this place and see if you can meet the plants "in
person" before buying:

http://www.plantingfields.org/

Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Right now all we have growing along that fence are shade perennials that can
be easily moved. We do have a Holly tree not far away in full/mostly shade,
and while not tall nor narrow, it is very healthy. Not very familiar with
Hollies, but I will look into them to see if I can find one that meets our
specifications. We like our neighbors but their house is very close to our
fence and on a hill overlooking that area of our yard. We are just looking
for something to grow a few feet taller than the six foot fence for added
privacy. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sounds like you will want to prune whatever you get to keep it at the 6 foot
fence. Its better to start pruning when the tree is young than when it is
mature for controlling hieght. This if for you. You can start pruning 1
year after you plant the tree. Hope you find a suitable tree.
For pruning

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

And while I am at it here is some planting suggestions for when you find
your tree of hope.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 13-04-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:50:29 -0400, "saabdued"
wrote:

Right now all we have growing along that fence are shade perennials that can
be easily moved. We do have a Holly tree not far away in full/mostly shade,
and while not tall nor narrow, it is very healthy. Not very familiar with
Hollies, but I will look into them to see if I can find one that meets our
specifications. We like our neighbors but their house is very close to our
fence and on a hill overlooking that area of our yard. We are just looking
for something to grow a few feet taller than the six foot fence for added
privacy. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

There are literally hundreds of varieties of holly shrubs and trees.
I am certain you will find one to suit your needs and they do well in
shade.

Old 13-04-2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:04:13 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Right now all we have growing along that fence are shade perennials that
can
be easily moved. We do have a Holly tree not far away in full/mostly
shade,
and while not tall nor narrow, it is very healthy. Not very familiar with
Hollies, but I will look into them to see if I can find one that meets our
specifications. We like our neighbors but their house is very close to our
fence and on a hill overlooking that area of our yard. We are just looking
for something to grow a few feet taller than the six foot fence for added
privacy. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

There are literally hundreds of varieties of holly shrubs and trees.
I am certain you will find one to suit your needs and they do well in
shade.

Holly in shade?

Yes. Holly in shade or sun. In shade doesn't grow as fast, but will
flower and berry just fine. I have Yaupon and Burford and they are
both doing very well in full shade.
Old 13-04-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:04:13 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Interesting.

Unrelated, but here's what I need: A shrub that'll grow about 6 feet tall,
with thorns that'll stop an armored humvee (and dogs). The thorns should
retract when I need to trim the shrub. Dappled sun all day. The plant should
be able to discuss fishing or music during its occasional haircuts.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 13-04-2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Many thanks to you all, especially the knowledgeable person who recommended
Hollies. I did some research, and I see that there is a Holly called Nellie
Stevens that should do just fine where I want it. There is a nursery near me
that sells it, and I understand it will grow quite rapidly to 20 feet. It
also responds well to pruning. While I am mostly interested in the height, I
can keep it pruned so as not to extend out into my path or directly into the
fence. It is sold as either a tree or a shrub depending on one's needs.
Thanks all very much, and a happy gardening season to you all.

Old 13-04-2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

Unrelated, but here's what I need: A shrub that'll grow about 6 feet
tall,
with thorns that'll stop an armored humvee (and dogs). The thorns should
retract when I need to trim the shrub. Dappled sun all day. The plant
should
be able to discuss fishing or music during its occasional haircuts.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I think what you're looking for, is a man. Look for the ex-services
model which comes in camouflage greens with a barb-wire tattoo and its
own rocket-launcher.

Janet.

Or, leeetle tiny land mines. Just enough to help train every dog in the
neighborhood to tell their owners to walk on the other side of the street,
forever.

Old 13-04-2007, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:48:51 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Interesting.

Unrelated, but here's what I need: A shrub that'll grow about 6 feet tall,
with thorns that'll stop an armored humvee (and dogs). The thorns should
retract when I need to trim the shrub. Dappled sun all day. The plant should
be able to discuss fishing or music during its occasional haircuts.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Get a broad with sharp, long nails.
Old 13-04-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:20:00 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Or, leeetle tiny land mines. Just enough to help train every dog in the
neighborhood to tell their owners to walk on the other side of the street,
forever.

I really dislike when you promote violence against animals as some way
to let their asshole owners you don't want dogs ****ing on your land.
Can't you can it, because this puts imprints into peoples minds and it
makes killing animals some sort of entertainment.
Old 13-04-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Or, leeetle tiny land mines. Just enough to help train every dog in the
neighborhood to tell their owners to walk on the other side of the street,
forever.

I really dislike when you promote violence against animals as some way
to let their asshole owners you don't want dogs ****ing on your land.
Can't you can it, because this puts imprints into peoples minds and it
makes killing animals some sort of entertainment.

1) I can't be out there 24x7, waiting to scold humans.

2) Dogs train humans to do antisocial and illegal things. So, if I can get a
message to the dogs, they will adjust the way they train their humans.