Old 16-09-2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Black Walnut Seeds

I have a Black Walnut Tree that is growing wild in my yard. The tree
has seed/nut on it. I would like to use the nuts to grow other Black
Walnut trees on my property. How do I do this?

Al

Old 16-09-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote:

Stratification helps,

I believe the word you want is 'scarification'.

M-W

scar?i?fy
transitive verb
1 : to make scratches or small cuts in (as the skin) scarify an area
for vaccination
2 : to lacerate the feelings of
3 : to break up and loosen the surface of (as a field or road)
*4 : to cut or soften the wall of (a hard seed) to hasten germination
---

Old 16-09-2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

"D. Staples" wrote:

Stratification helps,

I believe the word you want is 'scarification'.

No, it's stratification. That means to subject a seed to a cold
period before it germinates. If you weren't so busy trying to prove
people wrong you'd know this.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 16-09-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Sheldon expounded:

"D. Staples" wrote:

Stratification helps,

I believe the word you want is 'scarification'.

No, it's stratification. That means to subject a seed to a cold
period before it germinates. If you weren't so busy trying to prove
people wrong you'd know this.

I'd just plant a few in the ground in a straight line. Transplant if
any come up. Tell the folks on the property that these trees offer
valuable woods in time and that once folks used the seed for a tasty
brittle. Which is still worth seeking out.

Forget peanut brittle go Black Walnut if we must jeopardize our old
fillings. I do!

Bill

Don't tell anybody about this place. He was a lab tech who made custom
bikes and ended up in candy. An annual pilgrimage twice a year for us.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...porated.856-46
7-1661

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 17-09-2007, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Al wrote in news:TzfHi.2128$603.952@trndny02:

I have a Black Walnut Tree that is growing wild in my yard. The tree
has seed/nut on it. I would like to use the nuts to grow other Black
Walnut trees on my property. How do I do this?

Al

Be aware that Black Walnut is not condusive to other plants grown near it.
That means no vegetable garden and most flowering plants. If you want
Black Walnut, fine, but don't expect anything else to grow around it. Look
up: juglone or
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html
Old 18-09-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 16, 6:03?pm, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

"D. Staples" wrote:

Stratification helps,

I believe the word you want is 'scarification'.

No, it's stratification. That means to subject a seed to a cold
period before it germinates. If you weren't so busy trying to prove
people wrong you'd know this.

With black walnut it's important to scarify (really just removing the
husks), then plant the seeds, the natural exposure to winter while in
the ground is all the stratification that's necessary, come spring
they'll already be germinating... otherwise come spring all you'll
have is cold walnuts in the fridge of which most when planted then
will not germinate because they haven't been scarified, and then those
really should be planted in the fall, so you lose a year. All things
equal, without scarification most walnut seeds do not germinate (in
nature left to their own devices most do not germinate), most that
have been scarified do germinate. There is no need to artificially
stratify black walnut but it's important to scarify. What is most
important is to protect newly planted seed from critters otherwise
whatever you do is all for nought, squirrels will probably dig up
90pct. I would plant black walnut in individual pots that are well
protected from critters (a cold frame is good). Protect pots until
they can be field planted as two year old seedlings, and then they'll
still neeed protection from deer and other critters. You obviously
didn't read the OP carefully... my recommendation is more advantageous

Old 18-09-2007, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 16, 4:23 pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:

Be aware that Black Walnut is not condusive to other plants grown near it.
That means no vegetable garden and most flowering plants. If you want
Black Walnut, fine, but don't expect anything else to grow around it. Look
up: juglone orhttp://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

I lived in a house that had one Black Walnut and a couple of English
Walnut trees. You're right - absolutely nothing would grow under the
Black Walnut. We ended up pouring a nice patio around it. The
English Walnuts weren't much better, but I did manage to have a nice
garden of Calla Lilies under one of them. I was certain to try to
keep any falling leaves from the tree, gathered and raked up however!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 18-09-2007, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Myrl wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:

Be aware that Black Walnut is not condusive to other
plants grown near it. That means no vegetable garden and
most flowering plants. If you want Black Walnut, fine,
but don't expect anything else to grow around it. Look
up: juglone
orhttp://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

I lived in a house that had one Black Walnut and a couple
of English Walnut trees. You're right - absolutely nothing
would grow under the Black Walnut. We ended up pouring a
nice patio around it. The English Walnuts weren't much
better, but I did manage to have a nice garden of Calla
Lilies under one of them. I was certain to try to keep any
falling leaves from the tree, gathered and raked up
however!

i have a Chinese dogwood as understory to my bigger black
walnut & it's doing very well. the walnut is around 40 years,
& the dogwood is about 30. they are less than 3' apart.
OTOH, there used to be an apple tree near the walnut & as the
crown began to overhang the apple's area, it died back. i
recently cut it down. and the blueberries are also dying back,
but that could be because they're in pretty heavy shade from
the sugar maples, as well as the effects of juglone.
the younger black walnut is in my 'winter' pasture & i *wish*
it would kill the weeds that grow under it

lee
Old 18-09-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

On Sep 16, 6:03?pm, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

"D. Staples" wrote:

[...]

Delusions of grandeur cloud your mind yet again, Sheldon.

I take care of a farm in a nearby town that has a 1/2 mile driveway
lined with black walnuts. There is no 'scarification' of any seeds,
and they come up all over the place - after they've spent the winter
outside where the squirrels decide to plant them.

Old 18-09-2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 18, 9:12?am, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

On Sep 16, 6:03?pm, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

"D. Staples" wrote:

[...]

You're such a liar... you've never yet proven any of your claims...
you take care of a farm, you've never set foot on a farm. Just how
you express yourself with the nonsense elaborations of a barroom sot
"a nearby town" PROVES you're a big fat pinnochio nose. Must get
boring inside your one room tenement flat in some inner city ghetto
slum... you haven't even shown you own a flower pot and you want us to
believe you babysit farms. LOL And what happened to your claim(s) of
killfiling me... weak minded LIAR! You and your asshole buddy lee
must be one and the same.

Old 18-09-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in news:1190124428.071587.192610@
22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

You're such a liar...

Is this your word of the day, Sheldon? Usually the person running around
calling everyone that name has a pretty unhealthy idea of how it works.
Old 18-09-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 16, 6:03?pm, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

"D. Staples" wrote:

[...]

While scarifying is an alternative, it is not necessary, any more than
stratification. It may influence germination, but in nature, it doesn't
happen that much, scarification that is. Nursery's stratify black walnut,
but seldom scarify, just as they stratify other seed. Particularly in
warmer climates.

Old 18-09-2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

While scarifying is an alternative, it is not necessary, any more than
stratification. It may influence germination, but in nature, it
doesn't happen that much, scarification that is. Nursery's stratify
black walnut, but seldom scarify, just as they stratify other seed.

In nature, scarification happens by a seed coat being gradually worn
away or a seed coat being cracked by freezing. Scarification is a way
to speed this up (with cutting a notch and hot water seeming to be the
preferred techniques). At least, that's what my book on propagating
woody plants says.

But each plant is different. And I don't know anything about black
walnut in particular.

Getting some instructions from someone who has propagated the
particular plant in question is recommended. Sure in nature, the
plant grows (somehow). But whether this happens quickly, or how many
seeds are needed for one seeding, or whether the seed passes through
the digestive tract of a bird or mammal in nature, or whether you can
keep a seed in the ground for months/years and recognize it as a
non-weed when it does come up, or whatever, make the garden situation
often different.
Old 18-09-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:
A very good book for you to get is this:
BTW I have a copy and I could fax you the pages on walnuts if you send me
your fax number to my email address.

Why not scan and E-mail? Much gentler on the ecology.

And please place your reply at the bottom! It's kinder that way.
'

--
john mcwilliams