Old 30-09-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default PBS's Victory Garden

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
Pennyaline wrote:

Ann wrote:
The Victory Garden hasn't been the same since PBS sold it to
Time-Life. Roger Swain told me that's when he left, he knew they
would ruin it, and they have.

I liked Roger Swain. He knew what he was doing. It was easy to believe
he actually gardened.

The new Australian host is wretched, and with episode themes running the
gamut from "Wet," "Dry," "Up," "Down," etc., the show can't help but
suck. The worst part is that Kip is virtually nonexistent this season.

The program has deteriorated into something like contemporary cooking
shows. It seems aimed toward people who like to have gardens rather than
grow them, just as cooking shows are now suited for those who want huge
kitchens with expensive professional accoutrement but are indifferent to
preparing food.

Hands on = wisdom
Reading About = knowledge

I know how to make pickles Vs doing it. We can eat the one but not the
other. Hot water for a dead pheasant why?

Bill

I'd go mad all winter if I didn't read about gardening. Unfortunately, it
gives me ideas I'll never have time for.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/30/07 5:25 PM, in article
,
"William Wagner" wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 9/30/07 11:51 AM, in article ,
"Bill R" wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Bill R" wrote in message

Has anyone been watching PBS's Victory Garden this season? Everyone from
last season except Kip (the gardner) is gone. The new hosts are just
horrible. The programs seem to be all over the place and most of them
have not been worth watching. There was one where the host spent almost
the entire post bending metal for a potting design. What a waste!

PBS had a great program in the Victory Garden but, IMO they ruined it.
They need to go back to the good old days when they had great hosts and
spent their time on interesting gardening subjects.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Have you been watching it since the original, with Jim Crockett? He
understood continuity and focus.

Yes, I am that old. And back then the show was ALL about gardening.
In the last few years it has taken quite a different direction. Less
gardening and a lot of other stuff that I don't watch a gardening
program for.

Me too. I stopped watching it when the guy with the goofy laugh took over.
HE WAS HORRIBLE.

While I like shows that are tours of private or public gardens, the only
show I've seen recently (that might even go back a year or more) that is
truly a gardening show is Gardening By the Yard. And he cheers me up most
days.

Cheryl

The old guy before Crockett was not too media wise but he seemed to
have useful info. Perhaps I was a newbie but conveying wisdom in such
a manner was like talking with extended family. Worth watching him too
bad I was out trying to extend my gene line at the time.
I'd like to see these PBS shows on DVD but alas I must settle for "Hot
Fuzz".

Bill

Not old enough to remember him (LOL). There was this quirky show from
Michigan - two old rosarians with all sorts of interesting info. Loved
watching it - never for one second did I believe they did all the work -
like burying the canes for the winter.

BTW - I googled Hot Fuzz. Another case of the BBC exporting their worst bits
of TV and the US lapping it up?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill R" wrote in message
Has anyone been watching PBS's Victory Garden this season? Everyone
from
last season except Kip (the gardner) is gone. The new hosts are just
horrible. The programs seem to be all over the place and most of them
have not been worth watching. There was one where the host spent
almost
the entire post bending metal for a potting design. What a waste!

PBS had a great program in the Victory Garden but, IMO they ruined it.
They need to go back to the good old days when they had great hosts and
spent their time on interesting gardening subjects.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Have you been watching it since the original, with Jim Crockett? He
understood continuity and focus.

Jim Crockett's book may be about. I have it somewhere but I can't give
you ISBD # if it had one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Underwood_Crockett

Worth a search!

Bill

www.powells.com usually has a few used copies.

I really should keep my copy in a fire safe. And, it's one of the few books
I'd never loan to anyone, unless they were prepared to die if they lost it.
:-)

"Crockett's Victory Garden" was published in 1977. Believe he died of
cancer 2 years later. Wife was lucky to win a copy of his book at a
garden center nearby. I often refer to it.

Frank
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/30/07 5:36 PM, in article ,
"Pennyaline" wrote:

Ann wrote:
The Victory Garden hasn't been the same since PBS sold it to
Time-Life. Roger Swain told me that's when he left, he knew they
would ruin it, and they have.

I liked Roger Swain. He knew what he was doing. It was easy to believe
he actually gardened.

You should check out his books.

The new Australian host is wretched, and with episode themes running the
gamut from "Wet," "Dry," "Up," "Down," etc., the show can't help but
suck. The worst part is that Kip is virtually nonexistent this season.

The program has deteriorated into something like contemporary cooking
shows. It seems aimed toward people who like to have gardens rather than
grow them, just as cooking shows are now suited for those who want huge
kitchens with expensive professional accoutrement but are indifferent to
preparing food.

Snicker - I know a few folks like that - gorgeous kitchens and order take
out if they are not eating cereal.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

I'd go mad all winter if I didn't read about gardening. Unfortunately, it
gives me ideas I'll never have time for.

Dreaming, Joe, it's about dreaming. We need to dream in the winter...
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

I liked Roger Swain (btw, have you read his books?) but some his co-hosts
were the pits. Crockett was pretty darn good and a hard act to follow.

I've read his books, read his articles in People, Places and Plants,
watched him on the same named show, and walked through the Boston
flower show with him not once, but twice! He's a wonderful guy, his
wife is lovely, and I feel very priviledged to have spent time really
talking gardening with him on several occasions.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

William Wagner expounded:

The old guy before Crockett was not too media wise but he seemed to
have useful info. Perhaps I was a newbie but conveying wisdom in such
a manner was like talking with extended family. Worth watching him too
bad I was out trying to extend my gene line at the time.
I'd like to see these PBS shows on DVD but alas I must settle for "Hot
Fuzz".

Before Crockett? He was the first. Bob Thompson took over for him
when he got sick - he died at 65 ( Jim was a big chemical advocate
at first, but he learned and changed in his latter years. Bob he
died of Alzheimer's, which cut his career short. More info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vic...den_(TV_series)
Old 01-10-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

While I like shows that are tours of private or public gardens, the only
show I've seen recently (that might even go back a year or more) that is
truly a gardening show is Gardening By the Yard. And he cheers me up most
days.

Cheryl

Gardening By The Yard is a show that I record every week (just the new
episodes). For those of you that don't know GBTY is on HGTV and the new
programs are on Saturday at noon (EDT) and they show some of the older
episodes on Sunday.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 02-10-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill. . . .your garden pictures are absolutely splendid, splendid!!!
But, the snakes!

Oh my gosh, I'm a Master Gardener here in CT and I know how beneficial
snakes are in the garden but I still cannot get used to seeing them
there, or anywhere near me for that matter. I'm not afraid of them,
they just give me the willies.

On Sep 30, 11:05 am, Bill R wrote:
Has anyone been watching PBS's Victory Garden this season? Everyone
from last season except Kip (the gardner) is gone. The new hosts are
just horrible. The programs seem to be all over the place and most of
them have not been worth watching. There was one where the host spent
almost the entire post bending metal for a potting design. What a waste!

PBS had a great program in the Victory Garden but, IMO they ruined it.
They need to go back to the good old days when they had great hosts and
spent their time on interesting gardening subjects.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

To see pictures from my garden visithttp://members.iglou.com/brosen

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 02-10-2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

ctlady wrote:
Bill. . . .your garden pictures are absolutely splendid, splendid!!!
But, the snakes!

Oh my gosh, I'm a Master Gardener here in CT and I know how beneficial
snakes are in the garden but I still cannot get used to seeing them
there, or anywhere near me for that matter. I'm not afraid of them,
they just give me the willies.

Thank you. The snakes sure do keep things lively in the garden. They
don't bother me at all except when pulling weeds or picking up leaves
and getting a handful of snake. The neighborhood kids love them but
most of the parents are like you; they don't want them anywhere near them.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

BTW - I googled Hot Fuzz. Another case of the BBC
exporting their worst bits
of TV and the US lapping it up?

I died laughing at that...it was perfect for my mood that
night

Seahag

Old 02-10-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill R wrote in
:

Has anyone been watching PBS's Victory Garden this season?
Everyone from last season except Kip (the gardner) is gone. The
new hosts are just horrible. The programs seem to be all over the
place and most of them have not been worth watching. There was
one where the host spent almost the entire post bending metal for
a potting design. What a waste!

PBS had a great program in the Victory Garden but, IMO they ruined
it. They need to go back to the good old days when they had great
hosts and spent their time on interesting gardening subjects.

I used to be a staunch viewer of The Victory Garden. However, it got
so far from it's original intent that I quit watching most of the
episodes. It was good, even for the most part with Roger Swain
hosting it, but during his rein, the show went from having useful
gardening information to showing the "great gardens" of the world
with Peter what's his name and Adrian Bloom. What in the wide, wide,
world of sports did any of that have to do with how to raise a garden
and benefit from eating what you grew?

Then there was 'Chef Marion'. Her food must have been the blandest
food in the world. I wonder if she even knew what seasonings were
used for. I wouldn't want her cooking for me, that is for sure. Then
she had to go to Europe to watch the chefs over there. Again, I
wondered what that had to do with gardening.

When Mikey took over, I thought that maybe he would bring VG back to
some of it's former glory, but he proved me wrong. Maybe what PBS
should do is to just put The Victory garden out of it's misery and
get on with some other type of program.

That is just my opinion, and as usual, your mileage may vary.

Good growing,

Dan Harriman
Orange, Texas