Old 01-04-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default dog-poop?!?!

Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:13:45 -0700, Billy
wrote:

"clarissa" wrote in message
Hi to all gardeners I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she
lets them run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. I
love dogs - have had three over a 20 year period and not once
have
they ever been allowed to even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a
matter of safety anyway). I am at my wits end and this morning I
did something I may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk!
I may end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling
this more diplomatically. Thanks for any help. Jean

Sometimes you have to be assertive. Do it as nicely as you can. If
you know neighbors, you may ask their advice because you want to
address the problem reasonably. We all have blind spots.

If you are within city limits, I'd be surprised if there aren't
leash
laws. Only involve the dog catchers as a last resort. It takes $ to
get them out of the pound. She should have a real steep learning
curve. Take pictures if you can of the act being committed. If this
is in the country, learn to shoot a low velocity air rifle (It's
negative reinforcement for when her dog is on your property. If
that
doesn't get her attention, get a high velocity air rifle.). In
agricultural areas, farmers take a dim view of dogs running wild.
There must be county laws against it.

Hahahaha, leash laws. Ya. i have a decorated cop living cross the
street from me and his cats are all over the place, hiding in bushes
ambushing birds. We found him stalking this moring where the barn
swalllows were building their nest in our ourdoor vestibule.

If you check the leash law I think you will find that it does not
apply to cats.

Putting poo on someone's sidewalk is not way to handle it either.
It's
not the animal's fault. I never want the animal to suffer.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 01-04-2008, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

Although it's true dog poo can carry pathogens and parasites, it's not as
dangerous to humans as would be human poo, and people clean up after
toddlers and the elderly who have mistakes without too much threat of
illness. The greater threat would be to other dogs and even that's not TOO
great a threat or all dogs would be dead, given their habit of eating each
others' crap and licking each others' rumps. Fact is unless you suffer
from persistent bouts of coprophagia you're not apt to be harmed by dog
poo, and the diseases that can pass between canine and human will do so
even just from interacting with a dog as a friendly animal.

And most people just haven't a clue how many nocturnal animals -- racoons,
possums, skunks -- are leaving scat in their yards, not to mention all the
birds. The idea of keeping turds out of the yard would be like trying to
keep dust and wind out of the yard, so just be glad that in the main it's
free fertilizer.

By sheer weight of numbers, dog poo has become a health concern near
rivers, streams, and watersheds. Dog walking in parks with water resources
has been known to so contaminate water, partly because people fail to
clean up after their dog and discard poo safely, public health problems
arise. Leptospirosis inducing diarrhea and salmonella causing severe
painful vomitting can be worth worrying about. I could list fifty or sixty
potentially zoonotic diseases (i.e., passing from pet to human) and at the
end of the list of things not entirely impossible you'd wonder how on
earth people aren't already extinct from the filthy habit of owning pets.

Fact is the role of animal fecal matter in disease distribution from
animal to man is so hugely over inflated as to all but constitute urban
folklore. The RARE incident of zoonotic diseases passed from animal to
people are much more apt to be due to physically touching the animal,
being scratched or bitten by the animal, not from contact with poo, though
certainly anyone squishing turds in their hands, eating turds, and never
practicing ordinary hygene routines, can be at greatly heightened risk of
infection. But in areas where zoonotic diseases have caused public health
problems through feces, the vast majority of these cases have been
associated with birds and fowl, not with dogs.

In areas where there are hookworms, fecal matter dried and scattered
becomes much more worrisome.

I compost my dog's poo. He's a little guy so there's not a lot of it. Is
there any risk factor at all? Maybe. But less risk than having a bird
feeder, attracting hundreds of pooping birds. In the main, wash your hands
after being in the garden and practice normal hygiene generally and it's
just not to worry over.

-paghat the ratgirl

Thanks for the reality check:-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

[...]

agreed, good common sense comments. I always pick my dog poop up when we go
out for a walk but empty the bag under my hedge. I cannot see too much wrong
with that. I worm the mutts and keep other parasites under control with
them.

rob

Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote in
:

agreed, good common sense comments. I always pick my dog
poop up when we go out for a walk but empty the bag under
my hedge. I cannot see too much wrong with that. I worm the
mutts and keep other parasites under control with them.

as long as your hedge isn't in an area where water runoff
occurs, that's probably ok. but if it's near a body of water
(including storm drain/street runoff), then it's a bad idea.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:07:29 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

"George.com" wrote in
:

agreed, good common sense comments. I always pick my dog
poop up when we go out for a walk but empty the bag under
my hedge. I cannot see too much wrong with that. I worm
the mutts and keep other parasites under control with
them.

as long as your hedge isn't in an area where water runoff
occurs, that's probably ok. but if it's near a body of
water (including storm drain/street runoff), then it's a
bad idea.

Do you have any idea what gets washed down the storm
drains? Dog poo is barely a blip on the threat map.

yes, i do. but why add extra contamination when it can be
avoided? just because something is bad, doesn't mean it's ok
to make it worse.
lee

Old 01-04-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:42:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

If you check the leash law I think you will find that it does not
apply to cats.

There is a leash law for cats in my city. Cats are not allowed
outside their fence or the city will give the people a ticket. So
far, they've been ticketed three times. One more, and the fee goes
up
to 250 dollar per incident for three more incidents. 500 for three
more and up to 1000 for three after that. This law is for cats AND
dogs.

That's very unusual and suggests a somewhat unrealistic attitude
toward cats on the part of the legislators.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

If you check the leash law I think you will find that it does not
apply to cats.

There is a leash law for cats in my city. Cats are not allowed
outside their fence or the city will give the people a ticket. So
far, they've been ticketed three times. One more, and the fee goes
up
to 250 dollar per incident for three more incidents. 500 for three
more and up to 1000 for three after that. This law is for cats AND
dogs.

That's very unusual and suggests a somewhat unrealistic attitude
toward cats on the part of the legislators.

Or a strong motivation for the animals owners to properly control their animals.
Many people don't enjoy songbirds being killed, their gardens being dug up, and
their spinach being contaminated by someone elses cute little pet. People who
allow their cats to roam freely are imposing on their neighbors.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

If you check the leash law I think you will find that it does not
apply to cats.

There is a leash law for cats in my city. Cats are not allowed
outside their fence or the city will give the people a ticket. So
far, they've been ticketed three times. One more, and the fee goes up
to 250 dollar per incident for three more incidents. 500 for three
more and up to 1000 for three after that. This law is for cats AND
dogs.

It seems moronic to me and no way it can be enforced on the cats
themselves unless they're just never allowed outside at all, but there's
leash laws for cats in my area too, and I think for most cities in America
nowadays. Some people seem pretty convinced cats should never go outside
as it's too dangerous for them. But the "cat door" remains pretty
standard, many cats do come and go as they please, and even if a yard is
fenced the cats go over it. Seems like in the past everyone knew if we
were going to live with cats we're the ones who would have to adapt to
their roaming disposition. The leash laws are like passing laws against
the rain. People are crazy.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 08:19:51 -0400, bq340 wrote:

clarissa wrote:
Hi to all gardeners I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she lets them
run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. I love dogs - have had
three over a 20 year period and not once have they ever been allowed to even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a matter of
safety anyway). I am at my wits end and this morning I did something I may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk! I may end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate. Does
anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling this more
diplomatically. Thanks for any help. Jean

Pour some bacon grease on it, or the cheap grocery store house-brand
beef gravy & he or another dog will eat it.

MikeB

Yes, very dangerous, as it might give dog high cholesterol
Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There are barriers that you can put on top of a fence that will keep a
cat in. Probably works best for small yards and patios in an urban
environment, where you want to protect your cat from tread marks.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My two cents ...

I do own a little yorkie, poops very little. When I did not have a dog,
the rabbits, raccoons and deer were a problem. I think it is the dog
poop that keeps the other critters away. Cats are great too, they keep
the mice away. I keep my little dog on a 90 foot light weight tether.

My neighbors labs are always pooping in my yard, I just clean it up. It
is best to be peaceful with your neighbors and not complain, since all
of my neighbors have guns

I have a feeling the original poster is a neat freak. Not one blade of
grass out of place. All roses picture perfect. Not one dirty plate in
the sink at night. Kids say their prayers every night. A spouse that
obeys every command or get the crap beat out ...

Ok Ok, now I have done it, shields up

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Steve expounded:

There's nothing unrealistic about keeping cats indoors. The only people
who ever object are those who think it's "unnatural" in some way. Ask
your vet -- she'll tell you that it's much healthier for your cat to
stay in. It's hard to catch a disease when you don't come in contact
with it.

It is totally unnatural to keep a cat in, unfortunately, we don't live
in an area where it's safe to let them out, so they do stay in - but
it remains true that it's an unnatural state of affairs to keep a cat
indoors.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Steve" wrote in message

There's nothing unrealistic about keeping cats indoors. The only people
who ever object are those who think it's "unnatural" in some way.

It may not be 'unrealistic' but it is certainly 'unnatural'.

Ask
your vet -- she'll tell you that it's much healthier for your cat to
stay in. It's hard to catch a disease when you don't come in contact
with it.

Using that reasoning, no human would ever venture outside their own house
for fear of catching cold. You've made all vets sound extremely stupid.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Steve expounded:

There's nothing unrealistic about keeping cats indoors. The only people
who ever object are those who think it's "unnatural" in some way. Ask
your vet -- she'll tell you that it's much healthier for your cat to
stay in. It's hard to catch a disease when you don't come in contact
with it.

It is totally unnatural to keep a cat in, unfortunately, we don't live
in an area where it's safe to let them out, so they do stay in - but
it remains true that it's an unnatural state of affairs to keep a cat
indoors.

Unnatural perhaps, but house cats do live longer.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Billy expounded:

Unnatural perhaps, but house cats do live longer.

True, but spending their days looking out windows longing to be
outdoors - is constant unfulfillment really a good quality of life?

Our two kitty brothers have never been outside, but trust me, they try
constantly to get out. I feel sorry for them. However, I really
don't want to ever scrape them up off the busy road outside, as what
happened with our last cat. He came to us an outdoor cat, he was
miserable when I tried to keep him in. We had him for seven years (he
was four when he came here) before the inevitable happened. But he
did die fulfilled and happy. Dummy (