Old 30-03-2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default dog-poop?!?!

Hi to all gardeners I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she lets them
run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. I love dogs - have had
three over a 20 year period and not once have they ever been allowed to even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a matter of
safety anyway). I am at my wits end and this morning I did something I may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk! I may end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate. Does
anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling this more
diplomatically. Thanks for any help. Jean

Old 30-03-2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:40:50 GMT, "clarissa"
wrote:

Hi to all gardeners I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she lets them
run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. I love dogs - have had
three over a 20 year period and not once have they ever been allowed to even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a matter of
safety anyway). I am at my wits end and this morning I did something I may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk! I may end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate. Does
anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling this more
diplomatically. Thanks for any help. Jean

We have at least three neighbors that allow their dogs to run at
large. They get into trash cans, recycle bins, and crap on everyone's
lawn. Talking to the owners about it makes them mad, so I don't do
it.
Old 30-03-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

clarissa wrote:
Hi to all gardeners I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she lets them
run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. I love dogs - have had
three over a 20 year period and not once have they ever been allowed to even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a matter of
safety anyway). I am at my wits end and this morning I did something I may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk! I may end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate. Does
anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling this more
diplomatically. Thanks for any help. Jean

Reminds me of story I heard where woman drove to park to walk her dog
but refused to pick up after it, which was a park rule. Wanna guess
where she found the poop one day

Also had a barber that told his neighbor that the neighbor's dog was
getting in his garbage. Of course the neighbor denied this.
So, barber put some Exlax near his garbage can. Next day neighbor was
bringing out rugs to hose off. Barber asked what problem was. Neighbor
said dog had diarrhea. Barber told him that you let your dog run loose,
you don't know what it might eat
Old 31-03-2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

"clarissa" wrote in message
Hi to all gardeners I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she lets them
run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. I love dogs - have had
three over a 20 year period and not once have they ever been allowed to
even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a matter of
safety anyway). I am at my wits end and this morning I did something I
may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk! I may
end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate. Does
anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling this more
diplomatically. Thanks for any help. Jean

Take digital pictures of the culprits in action. Call out a medical waste
team for removal. Send the bill for removal with pictures to your neighbor
registered mail, another copy to your lawyer.

Or, you can let your grass grow beyond a 1" manicure. Let the poop dry for
a week and mulch it with the mower.

--
Dave

How about a tax to support any military conflict/police action over 3 months
old?

An actual war, we can do what's been done in the past.

Old 31-03-2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 30, 10:40*am, "clarissa" wrote:
Hi to all gardeners *I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she lets them
run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. *I love dogs - have had
three over a 20 year period and not once have they ever been allowed to even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a matter of
safety anyway). *I am at my wits end and this morning I did something I may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk! *I may end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate. *Does
anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling this more
diplomatically. *Thanks for any help. * Jean

Clarissa-
A few years back I had an identical problem. A neighbor who walked
her dog every morning. For some reason her dog chose a corner of my
lawn to do it's regular dump, every single day.

I gritted my teeth and stayed silent for weeks. Then one morning, I
just couldn't handle it any more, and yelled out the window that I was
sick and tired of her dog crapping on my lawn. She yelled back that
the dog was only doing what was natural. I told her to have her dog
to naturally crap in her yard instead, or be curteous enough to clean
up after it.

She huffed off mad, but has never returned to this side of the street
to walk her dog again! Sometimes silence isn't golden!

Old 31-03-2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 30, 3:28*pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
clarissa wrote:
[...]

That's the best idea yet!
Old 31-03-2008, 11:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

"clarissa" wrote in message
Hi to all gardeners I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she lets them
run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. I love dogs - have had
three over a 20 year period and not once have they ever been allowed to
even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a matter of
safety anyway). I am at my wits end and this morning I did something I
may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk! I may
end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate. Does
anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling this more
diplomatically. Thanks for any help. Jean

some simple suggestions:

get your garden fenced
get used to it
clean up every couple of days yourself
throw the poop back in to her garden
If it is your wet season let it wash in to your lawn. Unless you are
practically out there eating the dirt it will be bugger all problem

I have 2 dogs who crap on my lawn & 4 cats who also crap on the lawn time to
time. I either pick it up & drop it under a shrub for fertiliser or leave it
there in the rainy season to wash away. My neighbour goes round with a
shovel every few days & picks up his dogs crap round his garden.

rob

Old 31-03-2008, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message

snip

Or, you can let your grass grow beyond a 1" manicure. Let the poop dry
for a week and mulch it with the mower.

--
Dave

When we moved further out into the überburbs, we bought a property with a
beautiful back yard. Friends who saw it suggested that I put in a 4-hole
golf course, but I thought the sand traps would probably ruin it.

I keep the mower on the highest setting, which gives the lawn a lush, full
look. I'll cut more often, but I prefer this to the buzz-cut look.

In a cruel twist of O. Henry irony, my wife, gazing out on the wonderfulness
of that back yard, thought we should (finally) get a dog. After much
discussion, we agreed that she would get her dog, and I would get a digital
SLR camera. She came home one day with a Lab mix, and that was the end of my
beautiful back yard.

No, not because the dog poops - she does, but my wife is very good about
picking up after her. It's because the dog loves to run and play, and I
haven't yet taught her to replace her divets, which go flying every time she
makes a tight turn.

I'm going to work long and hard this season to repair that lawn. In
discussing the Meditation Walk (previous thread), I looked back at some of
the photos of the back yard two years ago
(http://www.tfrog93.com/garden/garden1.htm) and remembered how proud I was.
It's possible that I've retreated from that yard, leaving the field of
battle to the dog, and refocused my energies on the Walk as my new digital
photography garden...

dwight
(all desire, no skills)

Old 31-03-2008, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:11:22 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

[...]

Or, you can let your grass grow beyond a 1" manicure. Let the poop dry
for
a week and mulch it with the mower.

No! Please! Dog poop can carry disease - bad!

When people want to use an empty lot for planting, they are urged to
solarize it *for a good period of time to kill the germs from dogs
that have been using the lot for a toilet.

* or use other effective methods for killing the dog poop germs/

Persephone

If it was a garden containing edibles, probably a good idea. A lawn where
small children especially toddlers may play, get rid of it, not treat it.
Otherwise, leave dog poop where it lies on a lawn.

Old 31-03-2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

dwight wrote:
and I haven't yet taught her to replace her divets, which go
flying every time she makes a tight turn.

That sounds like there's something not right with the lawn. If divots
are coming out that easily I would suspect that the grass isn't rooted
as deeply as it should be.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 31-03-2008, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
dwight wrote:
and I haven't yet taught her to replace her divets, which go
flying every time she makes a tight turn.

That sounds like there's something not right with the lawn. If divots
are coming out that easily I would suspect that the grass isn't rooted
as deeply as it should be.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

No, it definitely is not. Until I had a dog running around, it wasn't
noticeable.

Just picked up a couple big bags of seed and fertilizer, so I can do some
overseeding and repair the bald patches from last summer's construction. The
real problem may be that we are overwatered, being the low point in the
neighborhood and backing up to a reservoir. The ground is very spongy much
of the time during the rainy season. Like today...

dwight

Old 31-03-2008, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

"clarissa" wrote in message
Hi to all gardeners I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she lets them
run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. I love dogs - have had
three over a 20 year period and not once have they ever been allowed to even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a matter of
safety anyway). I am at my wits end and this morning I did something I may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk! I may end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate. Does
anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling this more
diplomatically. Thanks for any help. Jean

If you live in a city, does it have an animal control department? Talk to them.

Old 31-03-2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"clarissa" wrote in message
Hi to all gardeners I have a new neighbour with two dogs - she lets them
run everywhere and lets them poop etc. everywhere. I love dogs - have had
three over a 20 year period and not once have they ever been allowed to
even
go into anyone elses yard (always tied up, which for a dog is a matter of
safety anyway). I am at my wits end and this morning I did something I
may
regret - I took three piles of poopand left them on her sidewalk! I may
end
up in her very bad books but how can someone be so inconsiderate. Does
anyone have any suggestions for the future - as to handling this more
diplomatically. Thanks for any help. Jean

Sometimes you have to be assertive. Do it as nicely as you can. If you
know neighbors, you may ask their advice because you want to address the
problem reasonably. We all have blind spots.

If you are within city limits, I'd be surprised if there aren't leash
laws. Only involve the dog catchers as a last resort. It takes $ to get
them out of the pound. She should have a real steep learning curve. Take
pictures if you can of the act being committed. If this is in the
country, learn to shoot a low velocity air rifle (It's negative
reinforcement for when her dog is on your property. If that doesn't get
her attention, get a high velocity air rifle.). In agricultural areas,
farmers take a dim view of dogs running wild. There must be county laws
against it.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 31-03-2008, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:

Putting poo on someone's sidewalk is not way to handle it either. It's
not the animal's fault. I never want the animal to suffer.

LOL - the dog suffers 'cause you move its poo
Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Although it's true dog poo can carry pathogens and parasites, it's not as
dangerous to humans as would be human poo, and people clean up after
toddlers and the elderly who have mistakes without too much threat of
illness. The greater threat would be to other dogs and even that's not TOO
great a threat or all dogs would be dead, given their habit of eating each
others' crap and licking each others' rumps. Fact is unless you suffer
from persistent bouts of coprophagia you're not apt to be harmed by dog
poo, and the diseases that can pass between canine and human will do so
even just from interacting with a dog as a friendly animal.

And most people just haven't a clue how many nocturnal animals -- racoons,
possums, skunks -- are leaving scat in their yards, not to mention all the
birds. The idea of keeping turds out of the yard would be like trying to
keep dust and wind out of the yard, so just be glad that in the main it's
free fertilizer.

By sheer weight of numbers, dog poo has become a health concern near
rivers, streams, and watersheds. Dog walking in parks with water resources
has been known to so contaminate water, partly because people fail to
clean up after their dog and discard poo safely, public health problems
arise. Leptospirosis inducing diarrhea and salmonella causing severe
painful vomitting can be worth worrying about. I could list fifty or sixty
potentially zoonotic diseases (i.e., passing from pet to human) and at the
end of the list of things not entirely impossible you'd wonder how on
earth people aren't already extinct from the filthy habit of owning pets.

Fact is the role of animal fecal matter in disease distribution from
animal to man is so hugely over inflated as to all but constitute urban
folklore. The RARE incident of zoonotic diseases passed from animal to
people are much more apt to be due to physically touching the animal,
being scratched or bitten by the animal, not from contact with poo, though
certainly anyone squishing turds in their hands, eating turds, and never
practicing ordinary hygene routines, can be at greatly heightened risk of
infection. But in areas where zoonotic diseases have caused public health
problems through feces, the vast majority of these cases have been
associated with birds and fowl, not with dogs.

In areas where there are hookworms, fecal matter dried and scattered
becomes much more worrisome.

I compost my dog's poo. He's a little guy so there's not a lot of it. Is
there any risk factor at all? Maybe. But less risk than having a bird
feeder, attracting hundreds of pooping birds. In the main, wash your hands
after being in the garden and practice normal hygiene generally and it's
just not to worry over.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website: