Old 11-08-2008, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cherry tree

Hi all,

My partner suggested we plant a cherry tree on our front yard and,
before I do so, I wanted to come in and ask if there are any types of
fruiting cherries which produce pink blossoms.
I know ornamental cherries do, but I'm very interested on the fruit as
well as getting pretty flowers.

She, on the other hand, wants the pink flowers. :S

I hope we can both get what we want!!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ivan

Good question. Don't have the answer however this would be a good time to
offer some suggestions on planting and care.
Cherries like full sun. Should be at least 10' from house.

Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Ivan wrote:

Hi all,

My partner suggested we plant a cherry tree on our front yard and,
before I do so, I wanted to come in and ask if there are any types of
fruiting cherries which produce pink blossoms.
I know ornamental cherries do, but I'm very interested on the fruit as
well as getting pretty flowers.

She, on the other hand, wants the pink flowers. :S

I hope we can both get what we want!!

Single flowers yield fruit. Double flowers are sterile. Color
specific is in the eye of the beholder. A lot has to do with where you
live.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
, Ivan
wrote:

Hi all,

My partner suggested we plant a cherry tree on our front yard and,
before I do so, I wanted to come in and ask if there are any types of
fruiting cherries which produce pink blossoms.
I know ornamental cherries do, but I'm very interested on the fruit as
well as getting pretty flowers.

She, on the other hand, wants the pink flowers. :S

I hope we can both get what we want!!

So far as I know only white blossoms for fruiting cherries. Bare in mind
they need to cross-pollinate preferably with a closely alligned but
different cultivar to bare fruit well, and if you only have room for one,
and want pink flowers, might as well go for an ornamental since you won't
get lots of fruit without a pair.

I do think the pink flowering ornamental cherries can be a little
troublesome until they reach some degree of maturity and could easily be
lost, but the fruiting P. avis cultivars are sturdy devils, bulk up
quickly into twenty foot trees if you don't restrain them too much with
pruning.

The "cherry plum" (Prunus cerasifera) has pink flowers and plums the size
of cherries. The usual cultivar is called '****adari' and does not need a
partner with which to cross-pollinate, so it might be more what you're
after. There's a dwarf form that flowers well, but it's hybridized and
probably doesn't fruit as well, though I wouldn't swear.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 12-08-2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

Ivan

Good question. Don't have the answer however . . .

Can't you wait until you have an answer before torturing us with
your silly, self-aggrandizing, cut-and-paste routine?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 12, 10:00*am, Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:08:56 -0700 (PDT), Ivan
wrote:

Hi all,

My partner suggested we plant a cherry tree on our front yard and,
before I do so, I wanted to come in and ask if there are any types of
fruiting cherries which produce pink blossoms.
I know ornamental cherries do, but I'm very interested on the fruit as
well as getting pretty flowers.

She, on the other hand, wants the pink flowers. :S

I hope we can both get what we want!!

Paghat gave you the information about cherries you seek, but if your
partner wants pink flowers you are out of luck and I also do not
recommend an ornamental cherry.

Redbud 'Forest Pansy' is a beautiful specimen tree. *I don't know
where you live so can't be certain it's a good suggestion. *Also
realize if you plant a fruiting tree in the front yard you will have a
lot of mess on the ground, along with the critters who come to eat the
fruit which falls.

Aah, very good point!

After reading through these, it seems as if though it might be a good
idea to get a pink ornamental cherry tree in the front yard, and a
fruiting tree in the back .....
We'll see how it goes.

Thanks to all for your helpful advise!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Blow yourself.

I give basic lucid instructions that if followed will give the person a
healthier tree. Its a shame that you look at it as you do. You really are
STUPID! I will not even consider not providing this sound information to
people. You are not a tree person. Tree people should be the ones
answering the questions. Not people like you.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "symplastless"
wrote:

Blow yourself.

I give basic lucid instructions that if followed will give the person a
healthier tree. Its a shame that you look at it as you do. You really are
STUPID! I will not even consider not providing this sound information to
people. You are not a tree person. Tree people should be the ones
answering the questions. Not people like you.

Wrong. You spam gardening newsgroups and repeat yourself ad infitum and
rarely even try to answer specific questions as you just seriously don't
know very much on the subject.

Public service repost:

[spam deleted]

Nearly everyone in this group knows this guy is a fraud without training or
expertise in the areas he pretends, & "gears loose" better describes him
than "geared toward." He is reduced to leaping on unwary newcomers to spam
his website and fish for undeserved gratitude or a long-awaited sale of
the only book he stockpiled in the basement where they'll remain until a
basement flooding finally forces him to throw them away (though likely
he'll keep trying to sell them mildewed). Never rely on his advice, it is
nearly always either too generic to be helpful, outdated, or wrong from
word go, and the real purpose is always to provide umpteen links to his
own website and advertising.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Of course

--
For lucid information on the care of trees and their associates I would most
highly recommend www.shigoandtrees.com . Dr Shigo taught A NEW TREE BIOLOGY

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

You are not tree people.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:25:58 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

You are not tree people.

One, two, tree, four
What the hell do you post here for?

To teach people (not you, you have all the answers) the most common problems
with trees. Now if you did that, I would not have to do it, now would I?
Where can I find your instructions for pruning a tree correctly? How about
planting correctly? How about mulching correctly? How about the
management of the ecological stages of trees, correctly? See you really are
not tree people. If I am wrong I will be happy. And you see, I am not
selling anything. I am not a product pusher.

Why do you post here?

So I will keep my message simple and short and repeat, repeat, repeat and
repeat. These are areas of MODERN ARBORICULTURE you do not address.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:03:51 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Blow yourself.

I give basic lucid instructions that if followed will give the person a
healthier tree. Its a shame that you look at it as you do. You really
are
STUPID! I will not even consider not providing this sound information to
people. You are not a tree person. Tree people should be the ones
answering the questions. Not people like you.

Unfortunately, you did not answer the question which was about a pink
blossomed cherry tree. Shed some light on the actual question and
you'd be providing tree information with the question in mind. How do
you know the person asking the question doesn't know how to
plant...bla, bla, bla? Mulch, bla, bla, bla...

Because these are issues that will dictate the health of the persons tree or
trees. You are not providing this information. So I , the person with a
background in tree biology will continue to provide this information. I am
not selling anything except CAMB GUARDS. I am not a product pusher. If you
do not like that, which it appears you do not, oh well then. I am not
changing.

Most people are not doing it. Just look.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

You are not tree people.

One, two, tree, four
What the hell do you post here for?

To teach people

Are you clinically insane or just a congenital liar? You have nothing to
teach anyone cuz if you did you wouldn't be spamming us thousands of times
with narry an apropos comment to anyone!

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 12-08-2008, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Blow yourself.

I give basic lucid instructions that if followed will give the person a
healthier tree.

You insert your self-advertising into every thread regardless of relevance.
Regardless of the value of your schtick it is NOT RELEVANT in this case and
many others.

Its a shame that you look at it as you do. You really are
STUPID! I will not even consider not providing this sound information to
people. You are not a tree person. Tree people should be the ones
answering the questions. Not people like you.

If you don't know the answer why not just shut up and leave it to somebody who
does.

I've got it! Just shout 42! No matter what the question shout 42. Whether
it's beans or box elders, cherries or chuck steak the answer is 42!

David

Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Jangchub
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:59:21 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Because these are issues that will dictate the health of the persons tree or
trees. You are not providing this information. So I , the person with a
background in tree biology

Liar. People have been asking for you educational credentials for years.
You have none. You can't redefine selling firewood as a "background in
biology" without looking like a complete nutter.

will continue to provide this information. I am
not selling anything except CAMB GUARDS. I am not a product pusher. If you
do not like that, which it appears you do not, oh well then. I am not
changing.

By which is meant "not learning."

Most people are not doing it. Just look.

Most people are not doing what? Not responding to you? Most people
have you filtered out. I didn't say you were trying to sell anything.
That was Pags. Get your people straight.

What? What? One of the most die-hard spammers on UseNet deying his spam is
to SELL stuff? He pretends to be a "tree biologist" without any , puts up
a big website of pretending, and it's just for his deluded ego?

Sorry, no, it's more than that. He's trying to get lawnmowing jobs. The
website offers the services of himself and his son services in tending
yards (gods I hope it's an imaginary son just like his imaginary
credentials as biologist). He calls his purchasable services "professional
tree care" hee hee and "consulting services" har hee "soil therapy"
BWAhahaha hauling and sweeping up leaves (now that I believe he might be
able to do, if the truck hasn't been reposessed already) and he'll even
put on Eco-Art parties at your house (I imagine deformed bears made with a
cheap electric chainsaw on some fireplace rounds), parties for children
("Tree Biologist" same as "Party Clown") and all sorts of "let me in your
house!" and "trust me with your yard!" services.

Now I'm sure no one ever hired him who wasn't a close relative like maybe
his mom, but there's no question that all the spamming he does is Hope
Springs Eternal for the lawn work and amateur pruning. He also claims to
sell firewood by the cord -- so you know what he's REALLY doing with
trees!

He has in the past also tried to sell "Tree Biology CDs" and books.
Spammed them right here, and spammed every gardening bulletin board he
could find all over the web. I guess those finally got too mildewy in the
basement and he had to stop trying to trick people into sending him money
for 'em. No one ever did I'm pretty sure. Being a FAILED vendor doesn't
stop all the ads for his websites from being spam!

But he's onto something truthful when he says he'll "never change." Change
requires learning, flexibility, intelligence. I must've seen him called
"ignorant and annoying" by a chap who really was knowledgeable about
forestry way back in 1997, and it's absolutely true, he hasn't changed one
whit! If only he posted more than spam links he might've become "the
Palmjob of garden newsgroups" if you happen to know Palmjob's fame for
crackpot posts, but spamming only gets him a reputation as "ignorant and
annoying" rather than one of the really great web loonies, so symptomless
failed even at his opportunity for laudible cracklpotism. Insufficient
Personality Disorder is about it.

What is your background? Which university have you graduated from? I
came out of SUNY Farmingdale. What's your source of education which
makes you an expert? Certainly not the cut and pasting you do here.

Long ago he had his full background posted at his website. It amounted to
a couple of weekend workshops, really! And as the instructor was dead, who
could prove even that?

-paghat the ratgirl