Old 20-08-2008, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Trees and Texas

Trees are different in Texas than other parts. That is why wound dressing
is mandatory to use, tree wrap and wire in a hose are also treatments that
people like Don Staples claim is helpful. Why not just make a news group
for Texas. That way they can address their trees. Its hard when posting
about trees here because of the difference in the trees in Texas. Also per
Don Staples website in Texas, cutting the wood out of the once fertile
forest helps forest health, or so they claim? I guess that is another Texas
thing. He recommends removing all material and it is called restoration. I
do not believe it but then what do I know? Trees are different is Texas.
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm This treatment does
not work in other parts yet people in Texas claims that forest health
increases with these treatments. I do not understand it. Texas should have
their own newsgroup.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 21-08-2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
[...]
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that will give them understanding.

I shake my head sideways, but not for the same exact reasons as Jang. She
mentions zones. In those zones are different trees. Those trees require
different, if not indifferent, treatment to wounds. Depends on the tree and
the general area (zone). Same zone, 8A, I'm not going to treat primary
branch cut wound the same way to a pecan, chinaberry, live oak, or ashe
juniper. In NE Texas, there's different trees as well. Different strokes.

If they (TX trees and zones) don't fall into your weblink guidelines, maybe
you should develop some on your own. Instead, you want to isolate TX tree
problems for your own musings in this newsgroup. A true "professional" at
work.

Being in the U.S Navy for 20 years and working with people from all 50
states and the Phillipines, I 've found the Texas natives much higher in the
unmeasurable thing called common sense overall. I can't attest for people
with college degrees, and similar. Lot of 'em in highly populated areas
don't seem to be able to reason, just research and follow the norm. Odd, it
seems when times are hard, the more people rely on "common sense". No
matter their education level. Food for thought, John.
--
Dave
Lowly TX native

Old 21-08-2008, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

To Texas

Sorry if I offended someone. Selfish of me to attack back once in a while.
I have studied TREE BIOLOGY with many good tree people from Texas. Many at
Boone NC at ASU Camp Broadstone. Some in workshops in New Hampshire.
Things could be worse. Again I am sorry.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

m...

Old 21-08-2008, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
To Texas

Sorry if I offended someone. Selfish of me to attack back once in a
while. I have studied TREE BIOLOGY with many good tree people from Texas.
Many at Boone NC at ASU Camp Broadstone. Some in workshops in New
Hampshire. Things could be worse. Again I am sorry.

Yes, you are sorry, you have, by count on your web page, 58 days of short
courses for your "tree biology" title. All as a saw hand for Shigo. You
are not a biologist, arborist, forester, or tree expert. You are a fraud.
Don't quit your day job.

You make a lot about what I "claim", you alone claim your self professed
title, yet have not posted where or what I have claimed, or have ever
claimed.

Yeah, things are different in Texas, we expose frauds. Our arborists are
certified, our foresters are reviewed and acknowledge by the state, or
biologists have degrees.

I will ask you once again, post your education, other wise, be a confirmed
yard boy.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Yard Boy
http://homde.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.dtreedictionary.com
Beware of yard boys who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.
Some yard boys will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that will give them understanding.

Old 21-08-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:51:24 -0500, "D. Staples"
wrote:

Yes, you are sorry, you have, by count on your web page, 58 days of short
courses for your "tree biology" title. All as a saw hand for Shigo. You
are not a biologist, arborist, forester, or tree expert. You are a fraud.
Don't quit your day job.

You make a lot about what I "claim", you alone claim your self professed
title, yet have not posted where or what I have claimed, or have ever
claimed.

Yeah, things are different in Texas, we expose frauds. Our arborists are
certified, our foresters are reviewed and acknowledge by the state, or
biologists have degrees.

I will ask you once again, post your education, other wise, be a confirmed
yard boy.

Shit, I'd take a simple acknowledgment that he is wrong about pruning
paint and the reasons TX uses it on ONE ****ING type of tree. Yow
that guy is a shmuck. What did you call him one day...it had me
hysterical...I think it was ninkompoop? Something like that.

Do you or have you heard of Don Gardener? He's such a bright guy. I
don't think he charges, either. He's more interested in where and how
oak wilt spreads and trenching methods as it also spreads by the
fungal mat/root relationship.

I have heard of Gardener, think I have met him at one of the pest control
seminars the state used to have, don't think they bother any more. We are
seeing a lot of what folks around here are calling oak wilt, and on
investigation find it is residual damage from Rita. After a beating like our
trees got with Rita, we will begin showing a lot of die off with in a few
years, and usually ending after 5 years or so. That 120 mile an hour steady
wind broke roots and weakened the whole system, and not rot is taking it's
toll.

Old 21-08-2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:58:07 -0500, Jangchub wrote:
What's the matter John, nobody paying attention to you? As far as I
know, oak wilt is only in Texas. Believe it or not, there are highly

Not quite... 21 states, including TX. I'm here in OR, where it's on the least
wanted list:
http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/a...?article_id=28
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/SPFO/pubs/fi...lt/oakwilt.htm

Right now we're rather concerned about our native garry oaks, which are not
reproducing well, but the browning and wilting we're seeing on our oaks is
squirrel damage to vascular bundles as they go after galls and food. This is
a typical squirrel population boom and bust cycle. So far, however,
we've evaded Ceratocystis fagacearum.

Kay

Old 22-08-2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:02:16 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

[...]

The only tree which is painted is the Live Oak. And then, only if the
tree is pruned during a very small set of window periods when the
vector is transmitting the oak wilt disease into fresh wounds. When I
prune my Live Oaks at the proper time during the summer or winter
periods I do not paint the cuts. NObody asked John about his opinion
of Texas tree practices, but he forces it down the throats of all
involved. He couldn't answer any questions about trees unless his cut
and paste tool works, so I believe it must be broken. He has no idea
what he's talking about.

Am a big believer in trial/error, and observation when nothing is done, and
observation of results after something is applied as a remedy. K.I.S.S. is
probably my biggest pitfall in use of pesticides, soil additives, and
pruning; I do as little as possible of those.

The only time I've pruned live oaks is in the dead of winter, no paint. You
can't "hurt" the cedars no matter when you prune them. Just don't top them
off, they're ugly as sin and keep growing anyway.
--
Dave

Old 22-08-2008, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
What's the matter John, nobody paying attention to you? As far as I
know, oak wilt is only in Texas. Believe it or not, there are highly

Not quite... 21 states, including TX. I'm here in OR, where it's on the
least
wanted list:
http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/a...?article_id=28
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/SPFO/pubs/fi...lt/oakwilt.htm

I wondered about this as well, as it has been seen in Kentucky.
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/kpn/pdf/kpn_1144.pdf

I lost two massive red oaks this past year and have another two in decline.
While I have not yet been diagnosed specifically with oak wilt my county
agent is allegedly on the case. Simply reading about it sure put the fear in
me as I have many of these trees and having them taken down (safely) costs a
fortune.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 22-08-2008, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...

[...]

Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

--
Beware of so called foresters who do not understand the ecological stages of
trees with respect to the chemistry between them and their

Old 22-08-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in message
news

Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Ok, then, Don Staples. Please provide data specific to Texas that states
that your salvage and restoration increase the health of a forest rather
than what I state which that is your practice id deforestation. Please
provide the page and paragraph number where your data can be found stated
that you increase forest health by your salvage and restoration work.

Old 22-08-2008, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"Don Staples" wrote in message
news

Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Ok, then, Don Staples. Please provide data specific to Texas that states
that your salvage and restoration increase the health of a forest rather
than what I state which that is your practice id deforestation. Please
provide the page and paragraph number where your data can be found stated
that you increase forest health by your salvage and restoration work.
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Bite me, yard boy, I provide information to professionals, not hacks..

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting yaard boy
http://homde.ccil.org/~treeman

Old 22-08-2008, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"D. Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...

[...]

You forgot your signature, yard boy.

Old 22-08-2008, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:40:09 -0400, Buderschnookie wrote:
I lost two massive red oaks this past year and have another two in decline.
While I have not yet been diagnosed specifically with oak wilt my county
agent is allegedly on the case. Simply reading about it sure put the fear in
me as I have many of these trees and having them taken down (safely) costs a
fortune.

There has been some work done in GA (I think) trenching between infected
and uninfected trees as a means of preventing root grafts. They've got
some sort of vibrating plow thing that does relatively little damage.

Kay

Old 22-08-2008, 11:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message

There has been some work done in GA (I think) trenching between infected
and uninfected trees as a means of preventing root grafts. They've got
some sort of vibrating plow thing that does relatively little damage.

These trees are likely inaccessible by anything as the area is undeveloped
and very hilly, not to mention the cost as there are so many in my woods.
There is no way I could afford it on the scale necessary to get to all the
trees.

BTW these trees have never once been trimmed except by Mother Nature. They
are terribly crowded, but again not by human hands as this area has never
been touched. Some thinning would be a good thing, but I do hate that it is
the oaks I am losing and not the hickories.
But they burn really well

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky