Old 25-03-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

Default Base for garden shed?

In article ,
mark wrote:

Do I dig out a bed and lay the blocks direct on the ground or do I dig
out a rectangle and fill it with gravel and lay the blocks on this and
then put the bearers on top?

The former. Just level and compact the ground. And you can equally
well use el cheapo concrete slabs, surplus bricks or whatever instead
of blocks. It really doesn't matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-03-2009, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Ed, this is now cross posted to so many groups that you're getting confusing
advice! It might be better for you if you post to one group that covers
wherever you live, e.g. UK or USA. I've never heard of anyone using
'anchors' on a shed in UK but it's possible that the person who answered you
lives in tornado country! This does not apply to urg - as long as we're
lucky. ;-)

In an exposed position towards the west, you would need to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-03-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

On Mar 25, 12:30�pm, Alang wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:34:20 +0000 (GMT), wrote:
In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Ed, this is now cross posted to so many groups that you're getting confusing
advice! �It might be better for you if you post to one group that covers
wherever you live, e.g. UK or USA. �I've never heard of anyone using
'anchors' on a shed in UK but it's possible that the person who answered you
lives in tornado country! � This does not apply to urg - as long as we're
lucky. �;-)

In an exposed position towards the west, you would need to.

Indeed
I had a 6x5 greenhouse turn into a kite one day. Fortunately no one
was hurt but I anchored the next one in poured concrete at each
corner. �

It *was* an exceptional wind that day. Took the roof off a house
higher up the hill completely.

I secured my 8'x5' greenhouse to 25# concrete retaining wall blocks,
six of them, with steel bolts through the frame and into the
concrete. The blocks had been set on bedding gravel and carefully
squared and leveled.

The first storm of winter came along with 70mph gusts and blew the
greenhouse, still fastened to the blocks, right off the bedding
gravel. The greenhouse was shifted about two feet downwind.

With great effort I releveled and squared off the greenhouse again,
then hied me to Home Depot and bought three of those corkscrew dog
stakes, two feet of stainless steel corkscrew about three inches
across, with a hand-sized D handle on top. I ran plastic ties through
the frame and through the handles on the corkscrews. I now laugh at
the gales!

Old 26-03-2009, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

Ash wrote:

For my shed on the allotment I had a ring round and found 3 nice and
cheap concrete fence posts from a local garden centre and laid these
on the ground and then popped my shed on top. Quick, cheap and easy
... it's been ok for the last 10 years and expect it'll be ok for the
next 10 years.

Yup. BTDTGTTS. Done exactly that for several sheds, works a treat as you
say.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old 26-03-2009, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home
Ed Ed is offline

On 25/03/09 13:01, mark wrote:
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down a few runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed

I would use 6 concrete blocks, the sort used for building 100mm walls. About
£1 each.
Place these flat side, 3 along each side of the propsed shed position with
the end ones in a little from the corner so you don't see too much of them.
Cut them half into the ground, and all level to each other.
Then place 3, 3inch square posts across the blocks as bearers.
You might like to put a piece of roof felt between block and bearer. Erect
shed.

mark

Mark,

Thanks to you and everyone else for the advice given. Very much
appreciated.

Your suggestion of using 6 concrete blocks sounds like an excellent cost
effective idea for what is only a 5 ft x 3 ft tool shed.

But I am also minded to screw the wooden bearers to the blocks to
minimise any lateral movement and also to screw the wooden flooring
joists of the shed itself to the bearers with 4 (or 6) inch screws
from inside the shed as my allotment plot is indeed in an exposed windy
position. That should be OK eh? It's hardly likely that strong winds
could raise the shed attached to 6 concrete blocks?

Before I erect the shed, I think I will paint all the panels to protect
against rot, especially the underside of the flooring. From what I read
, it seems that a spirit-based formulation would be best as the shed is
smooth planed?

Ed
(Herts, SE England)

P.S. I never missed anyone's messages as I read all the groups I posted
to. For me, it was useful to get a wide view of opinions as everyone's
situation is different experiencing a range of weather and substrate
conditions.

Old 27-03-2009, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down a few runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed

You leave the reader wondering what the shsd base is made of, at the very
least. Further, you are simply expanding on that by asking a question that
may not have bearing if one had some limited knowledge of the shed and soil
and elevation it will set on itself. If you can't ask a specific queston
with specific information to base an answer on, butt out.
--
Dave
Confront and fight Obama zombieism

Old 27-03-2009, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

In article , "Dioclese"
NONE says...
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down a few runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed

You leave the reader wondering what the shsd base is made of, at the very
least. Further, you are simply expanding on that by asking a question that
may not have bearing if one had some limited knowledge of the shed and soil
and elevation it will set on itself. If you can't ask a specific queston
with specific information to base an answer on, butt out.

Just because your wife is playing up is no reason to direct so much
negativity towards a stranger on usenet.

btw, what is your bed base made of?
Old 28-03-2009, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

I am blind and even I don't see why you would need all that information. A
small shed and how to best set it up. Not exactly rocket science the person
just wanted different ways of doing this. I hope this last person wasn't a
regular poster on here or I will go back to just lurking and picking out the
good stuff.
"Bikini Whacks" wrote in message
In article , "Dioclese"
NONE says...

Old 28-03-2009, 03:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

Just ignore him like the rest of us do. Our new "war president" seems to
have unnerved him.

I would recommend a bolt set in concrete at the four corners of tour
shed. Drill holes. Add a couple of washers (including a lock washer),
screw down nut to set.

Sorry, but I haven't really been following this thread but obviously you
need something of heft to secure your structure.

In article ,
"Granby" wrote:

[...]

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson

Old 28-03-2009, 04:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
[...]

Yeah. What do you think this is, a discussion group or what?

Oh, it is?

Never mind.

I'd put it on railroad ties. Last a long time, easy to get, cheap. Is that
specific enough, Dave?

Steve

Old 28-03-2009, 04:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

[...]

Who shit in your cornflakes?

Old 28-03-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

SteveB wrote:

Who shit in your cornflakes?

It really doesn't matter what is asked or discussed here you will ALWAYS
find someone that dislikes what someone posts.

Overall, I find these groups almost useless with all the political (and
other) non-topic discussion and bashing that goes on. It would be nice
to get back to our "root" but, with the current crowd, I don't think
that will happen.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 28-03-2009, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

"You are never to old to play in the dirt" I love this and will post it
over my potting table.

Has anyone used that mulch that is made out of rubber tires, like they use
on playgrounds? I wonder if it would get too hot in the summer, think it
would be good for wintering. Live in Ill. zone 5