Old 27-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Registered User

Question safe Horse Manure

Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe, well rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I need a few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and roses. Thanks for your help.
Old 27-03-2010, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default safe Horse Manure

markiss wrote:
Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe,
well rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I
need a few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and
roses. Thanks for your help.

I cannot assist with specific advice as I am not in the UK. I suggest that
you contact stables and horse studs in your area. It may not be rotted as
that requires storing large quantities and horse places often aim to get rid
of it quickly. You may also be offered used stall bedding which is straw
with manure and urine.

I am curious about the way that horse manure might be unsafe. What do you
think could be wrong with it?

David

Old 28-03-2010, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

markiss wrote:
Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe,
well rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I
need a few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and
roses. Thanks for your help.

I cannot assist with specific advice as I am not in the UK. I suggest that
you contact stables and horse studs in your area. It may not be rotted as
that requires storing large quantities and horse places often aim to get rid
of it quickly. You may also be offered used stall bedding which is straw
with manure and urine.

I am curious about the way that horse manure might be unsafe. What do you
think could be wrong with it?

David

There was a problem with an herbicide in the horse manure a couple of
years ago.

Old 28-03-2010, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

markiss wrote:
Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe,
well rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I
need a few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and
roses. Thanks for your help.

I cannot assist with specific advice as I am not in the UK. I
suggest that you contact stables and horse studs in your area. It
may not be rotted as that requires storing large quantities and
horse places often aim to get rid of it quickly. You may also be
offered used stall bedding which is straw with manure and urine.

I am curious about the way that horse manure might be unsafe. What
do you think could be wrong with it?

David

There was a problem with an herbicide in the horse manure a couple of
years ago.

Is this aminopyralid? Does it actually go through horses and remain active?

David

Old 28-03-2010, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...od.agriculture

Old 28-03-2010, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

markiss wrote:
Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe, well
rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I need a
few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and roses.

Aminopyralid is an herbicide against broadleaf plants that is widely
used on grazing pastures and grass hay fields. To minimize the risk of
aminopyralid contamination in animal manure, you could seek out farms
that (a) grow their own grass hay and do not use aminopyralid on their
fields or (b) feed alfalfa aka lucerne grass. Alfalfa is a broadleaf
legume, not a monocot grass.

For addition to a compost pile in spring to start the pile cooking, you
should be using fresh ("green") manure and urine-soaked bedding. Well
rotted manure will have lost most of its nitrogen.

Once you have located a source of manure, getting it delivered should
be as simple as calling up a local handyman who does yard work.

Let us know how you make out.

Una

Old 29-03-2010, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
markiss wrote:
Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe,
well rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I
need a few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and
roses. Thanks for your help.

I cannot assist with specific advice as I am not in the UK. I suggest
that you contact stables and horse studs in your area. It may not be
rotted as that requires storing large quantities and horse places often
aim to get rid of it quickly. You may also be offered used stall bedding
which is straw with manure and urine.

I am curious about the way that horse manure might be unsafe. What do you
think could be wrong with it?

The UK has a problem with a aminopyralid residues in manures. Apparently if
you spread manure which has come from animals fed on pastures where this
product has been used, you can kill your plants.

Old 29-03-2010, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

markiss wrote:
[...]

Supposedly. But it could be a case like the American bee keepers who blamed
Australian imported bees for CCD.

Old 29-03-2010, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

markiss wrote:
[...]

I thought that Australian bees were brought in because of CCD. Could you
amplify as I know nothing about this.

Old 30-03-2010, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:25:41 -0400, markiss
wrote:

Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe, well
rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I need a
few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and roses.
Thanks for your help.

Find a mushroom farm. They will sell you spent (horse) manure. If
you can find it, cow manure is better and has far less weeds seeds.

Old 30-03-2010, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Is this aminopyralid? Does it actually go through horses and remain
active?

Supposedly. But it could be a case like the American bee keepers who
blamed
Australian imported bees for CCD.

I thought that Australian bees were brought in because of CCD. Could you
amplify as I know nothing about this.

This is from the Australian rural press and because it appeared some time
ago now, I am giving details from memory but wikipedia gives some support to
my recall of the coverage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

Press reports ran along the lines of: Aus bees started being sent to the US
shortly before CCD started appearing in the US so when it did appear there
was a subsequent hunt for the culprit. Usual crappola blame game then
began - it must be those damned furriners sending us furrin infected bees
(which of course it wasn't, given that we don't have it).

Eventually it was discovered that it'd been seen earlier in both US and
Europe and someone must have eventually figured that Australia had e-mail
and probably asked someone here if Aus had it.

Old 30-03-2010, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry love, but everyone is a suspect until they are eliminated. In this
case, Australian bees arrive 2 years after the out break of CCD, sorry
for the inconvenience, and thanks for shining a light on something I
knew nothing about.

Old 30-03-2010, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Can anyone please advise where I may find someone to deliver safe, well
rotted, horse manure to Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG postcode.I need a
few cubic metres, for compost bins and vegetable patch, and roses.
Thanks for your help.

Find a mushroom farm. They will sell you spent (horse) manure. If
you can find it, cow manure is better and has far less weeds seeds.

Conversion factors

Manure Chicken Diary cow Horse Steer Rabbit Sheep
N 1.1 .257 .70 .70 2.4 .70
P .80 .15 .30 .30 1.4 .30
K .50 .25 .60 .40 .60 .90
Http://www.plantea.com/manuer.htm

Old 30-03-2010, 08:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

'Supect' yes, but not as an automatic knee jerk reaction in a press driven
world. It was that crappola of kneejerkness that got up my left nostril at
the time. No serious analysis had been done at that time.

In this
case, Australian bees arrive 2 years after the out break of CCD,

??? Aus bees went to the US 2 years before the outbreak, not after.

Old 30-03-2010, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

This is what happens when you read up-side down ;O)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

Australian honey bees have been imported into the U.S. since 2004 and

until recently it was thought possible that this is how the virus
originally reached North America. Recent findings, however, reveal

the virus has been present in American bees since 2002.
----

Read first line, and then read the last line of the quote.
Doesn't it say Oz bees arrived 2004 but the virus here since 2002?