Old 19-09-2013, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Soaker hose

I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for new areas. Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only hose they carry was so crappy, it split even before using. Tried Home Despot. Carried same brand.

Decided to revert to previous M.O. : PVC pipe, capped at one end, other end equipped with hose junction. Small holes punched at intervals.

Previous endeavour had holes randomly placed; sprayed unevenly.

Resolved to do better.

How engineer holes along 10' length? How many needed for optimum coverage?

First thought: Alternate holes along opposite sides of pipe. But at what intervals? Punch holes at wide intervals and then intersperse if needed?

A lot of work. However, once I bought the fittings (pipe courtesy of neighbor)
gotta go through with it.

Sigh...

HB

Old 19-09-2013, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for new areas.
Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only hose they carry was so
crappy, it split even before using. Tried Home Despot. Carried same brand.

Try Leevalley.com... I bought soaker hoses from them twenty years ago
and used them for ten years with no problems whatsoever... they are
sitting in my barn, if you are near the Catskills you are welcome to
them, I don't need soaker hoses here.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2280,33160
Old 20-09-2013, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
Higgs Boson writes:
I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for
new areas. Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only
hose they carry was so crappy, it split even before using.

Did you try talking to them?

I haven't been in OSH's territory since just before the Sears purchase.
They used to be very helpful. Have they fallen that far?

--
Drew Lawson | And to those who lack the courage
Old 20-09-2013, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

This is going via Timbucktoo. If going to the trouble of buying and laying
the hose, connecting it and punching the holes why not go the whole way and
insert spray jets?

Old 20-09-2013, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:28:58 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't that be much more expensive? To install (immovable) spray jets in multiple beds sounds pricey. This project so far is under $10 and PVC pipes are movable. Plus not sure I would have the skill to install spray jets.

I was looking for a good pattern of hole punching, but I suppose it's not that critical. Tx anyway.

HB

Old 20-09-2013, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:59:59 PM UTC-7, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article

Higgs Boson writes:

I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for

new areas. Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only

hose they carry was so crappy, it split even before using.

Did you try talking to them?

No point. That was the only item on sale. Some vendor sold the buyer on the idea, is my best bet.

I haven't been in OSH's territory since just before the Sears purchase.

They used to be very helpful. Have they fallen that far?

Local store (West LA) was extensively remodeled a year or so ago; is attractive and well stocked, but not with a wide range of brands; nothing innovative.

The help tries, I've often been sent from one end of a large store to another because they didn't know where things were.

When they opened, there was help crawling all over you; also on their anniversary. Other times, hard to find.

HB

Old 20-09-2013, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:55:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson wrote:
I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for new areas. Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only hose they carry was so crappy, it split even before using. Tried Home Despot. Carried same brand.

Decided to revert to previous M.O. : PVC pipe, capped at one end, other end equipped with hose junction. Small holes punched at intervals.

Remember, you'll get a significant difference in amount of water leaked
or sprayed at the beginning compared to the end of the length. You may
want to do an experimental run, and plan on drilling more holes towards
the far end of the run once you've seen how the pattern you've drilled
behaves.

FWIW, I buried some of what I call "ooze hose" -- it looks foamy --
http://www.groworganic.com/1-4-mr-so...-100-roll.html under mulch
and it lasted for many, many years. In clay soils, I like the laser
drilled 1/4" tubing.

And don't forget a backflow preventer.

Kay
Old 21-09-2013, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, September 20, 2013 2:42:03 PM UTC-7, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:55:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson wrote:

I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for new areas. Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only hose they carry was so crappy, it split even before using. Tried Home Despot. Carried same brand.

Decided to revert to previous M.O. : PVC pipe, capped at one end, other end equipped with hose junction. Small holes punched at intervals.

Remember, you'll get a significant difference in amount of water leaked

or sprayed at the beginning compared to the end of the length. You may

want to do an experimental run, and plan on drilling more holes towards

the far end of the run once you've seen how the pattern you've drilled

behaves.

Tx Kay. Been there with existing PVC pipe "sprayer". Main thing is to keep it level. But I did notice on existing one that holes should be drilled on opposite sides of pipe to ensure even coverage.

FWIW, I buried some of what I call "ooze hose" -- it looks foamy --

http://www.groworganic.com/1-4-mr-so...-100-roll.html under mulch

and it lasted for many, many years. In clay soils, I like the laser

drilled 1/4" tubing.

Sounds too high-tech for moi g

backflow preventer:

? Why would I need that on such a simple installation? Alerted by you, I read the (terrifying) Wikipedia article, and wonder how I survived all these years using my first basic PVC watering device.g

Perhaps helped that it was downhill from house? Frivolity aside, would it really be needed for small garden beds not uphill from house water supply?

HB
Old 21-09-2013, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 17:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

[...]

Why are you permitting yourself to get caught up in all this rube
goldberg nonsense... I already suggested you buy the soaker hoses from
Leevalley.com... they work well and last long.

Old 21-09-2013, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

no the plastic ones are cheap, a few dollars for a pack of 50

This project so far is under
$10 and PVC pipes are movable. Plus not sure I would have the skill
to install spray jets.

You're right, screwing a threaded barb into a hole in polypipe is probably
beyond you.

Old 21-09-2013, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

If there is sufficient pressure in the system -- beyond the connection
to the hose bib -- it is possible for there to be backflow into your
household water line. Soil and soil organisims can enter the system
through the holes in the PVP pipe when the water is shut off. Thus,
there is a possibility of contaminating the household water supply.

In general, a system as proposed by Higgs Boson should have a backflow
preventer, sometimes known as an anti-syphon valve. The building codes
in California (where Higgs and I both live) require it.

In my garden, I paid a landscape contractor to install a fixed
irrigation system with underground pipes supplying above-ground
sprinkler heads. I have a total of 9 valves for the flat areas and 4
valves for the hill, with 13 anti-syphon valves. The same contractor
also designed and installed the landscape.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 21-09-2013, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I went to their site, but couldn't figure out where they are. In the East?

HB

Old 21-09-2013, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, September 20, 2013 8:11:18 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:28:58 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott

wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...snippage....]

This is going via Timbucktoo. If going to the trouble of buying and

laying

the hose, connecting it and punching the holes why not go the whole

way and

insert spray jets?

Wouldn't that be much more expensive? To install (immovable) spray

jets in multiple beds sounds pricey.

no the plastic ones are cheap, a few dollars for a pack of 50

This project so far is under

$10 and PVC pipes are movable. Plus not sure I would have the skill

to install spray jets.

You're right, screwing a threaded barb into a hole in polypipe is probably

beyond you.

Mmm.. people on this NG are not usually rude...

Guess I don't know what a "bubble jet" is. I was assuming it involved digging a trench and laying pipe...

HB

Old 21-09-2013, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:28:58 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott

wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...snippage....]

This is going via Timbucktoo. If going to the trouble of buying
and

laying

the hose, connecting it and punching the holes why not go the whole

way and
insert spray jets?

Wouldn't that be much more expensive? To install (immovable) spray

jets in multiple beds sounds pricey.

no the plastic ones are cheap, a few dollars for a pack of 50

This project so far is under

$10 and PVC pipes are movable. Plus not sure I would have the skill

to install spray jets.

You're right, screwing a threaded barb into a hole in polypipe is
probably

beyond you.

Mmm.. people on this NG are not usually rude...

I was just agreeing with you, or were you fishing for somebody to say 'of
course you would have the skill.........'?

Guess I don't know what a "bubble jet" is. I was assuming it
involved digging a trench and laying pipe...

HB

What is this bubble jet of which you speak?