Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-08-2003, 01:32 PM
CbarRose

Default Bees nesting in lawn

Would someone here help identify a social bee that nests in lawns? The bees
look very like honeybees (from a few feet away) in size and coloration (they
are almost certainly not wasps). They aren't particularly aggressive but alas,
yesterday one did sting a toddler who grabbed at it while playing on the grass.
The nest is in a very central and unavoidable place on a neighbor's property.
I'm trying to get information to learn (a) what species these are, and (b) if
there's a way to avoid destroying them. (As much as I hate the thought of
killing bees, these may in fact be best removed from the gene pool for nesting
is such a silly spot as the edge of a front walk.)

Many thanks for any information.
Carol

[IMG] code is On

Ground nesting bees? markoc Lawns 2 13-04-2010 12:20 PM
Bees nesting in a plant pot ? Simon United Kingdom 7 03-07-2006 12:48 PM
Bees nesting under my house Devoto United Kingdom 7 06-08-2004 06:07 PM
Bees nesting in a flower tub Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 0 09-06-2003 10:32 AM
Honey bees nesting in garden s guy United Kingdom 27 19-05-2003 09:56 PM