Old 19-08-2003, 01:32 PM
CbarRose

Default Bees nesting in lawn

Would someone here help identify a social bee that nests in lawns? The bees
look very like honeybees (from a few feet away) in size and coloration (they
are almost certainly not wasps). They aren't particularly aggressive but alas,
yesterday one did sting a toddler who grabbed at it while playing on the grass.
The nest is in a very central and unavoidable place on a neighbor's property.
I'm trying to get information to learn (a) what species these are, and (b) if
there's a way to avoid destroying them. (As much as I hate the thought of
killing bees, these may in fact be best removed from the gene pool for nesting
is such a silly spot as the edge of a front walk.)

Many thanks for any information.
Carol
Old 19-08-2003, 04:02 PM
CbarRose

animaux wrote:

There is no way to identify it with a magic crystal ball! You will have
capture one and bring it to a garden center for identification, or take
photograph.

On 19 Aug 2003 12:21:34 GMT,
pamnot (CbarRose) opined:

[...]

Thank you for a reasonable suggestion, but these bees are swarming around the
nest area and it wouldn't be possible to capture one. I realize the
identification I gave is vague; I guess I'm just looking to narrow down the
possibilities so I can do some more online research. I've tried searching for
"ground-nesting social bees" and the like, and have had lots of hits but no
real means of identification. (And it may not matter.....!)

By the way, I'm in the northeastern USA, if that helps with anything.

Thanks again,
Carol
Old 19-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
CbarRose wrote:
Would someone here help identify a social bee that nests in lawns? The bees
look very like honeybees (from a few feet away) in size and coloration (they
are almost certainly not wasps). They aren't particularly aggressive but alas,
yesterday one did sting a toddler who grabbed at it while playing on the grass.
The nest is in a very central and unavoidable place on a neighbor's property.
I'm trying to get information to learn (a) what species these are, and (b) if
there's a way to avoid destroying them. (As much as I hate the thought of
killing bees, these may in fact be best removed from the gene pool for nesting
is such a silly spot as the edge of a front walk.)

Many thanks for any information.
Carol

How social? According to a number of sites, there are a number of
ground-nesting bees, and while most are *relatively* solitary,
they can nest in groups.

See:

ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2143.html

Another site claims that Africanized honeybees will
nest in the ground:

http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/publich..._bee_facts.asp

billo
Old 19-08-2003, 07:43 PM
CbarRose

(Bill Oliver) wrote:

In article ,
CbarRose wrote:
[...]

The first site you indicated above was one I'd visited earlier but I just went
back and reread the following which appears under the Bumble Bee section:

Colonies are annual, lasting only one summer. There are usually less than
200 individuals in a colony and nests are generally found in open grasslands.
The queen establishes the nest site by lining an existing cavity with dry grass
or moss. She collects a mass of pollen and moistens this with nectar to produce
a stored food called "bee bread." The first brood of spring numbers 5 to 20,
all workers, who enlarge the nest, gather food and feed the larvae. The queen
continues to lay eggs throughout the summer and by late summer, reproductive
males and females are produced. These mate during flight and fertilized females
move to overwintering sites. Remaining males and workers in the colony die with
frost or the first hard freeze. Nests can be detected by the presence of many
males flying about the entrance. Stinging workers, sometimes called "dive
bombers," can respond quickly when their territory is invaded. Easily
irritated, workers will aggressively pursue an intruder attempting to escape.

This is the scenario we're witnessing now, with many males flying around the
entrance. My neighbors have summoned, through the advice of the township, a
local beekeeper, who confirms the identification. We are seeing, for the most
part, a hundred or more very nonaggressive males, but the child was stung
yesterday by a stinging worker, and there's no way to avoid that happening
again. If the nest were in a place that could be cordoned off and avoided, it
would pose no hazard. However, it borders a heavily-trafficked sidewalk where
kids ride bikes and play.

Anyway, thanks to all for your timely and helpful responses. For now, I'm
leaving it to my neighbors, who are leaning towards having the colony
destroyed. (If it were on my lawn, I'd find another way.)

Thanks all,
Carol
Old 20-08-2003, 03:42 AM
CbarRose

(Beecrofter) wrote:

Thank you for a reasonable suggestion, but these bees are swarming around

the
nest area and it wouldn't be possible to capture one. I realize the
identification I gave is vague; I guess I'm just looking to narrow down

the
possibilities so I can do some more online research. I've tried searching

for
"ground-nesting social bees" and the like, and have had lots of hits but

no
real means of identification. (And it may not matter.....!)

By the way, I'm in the northeastern USA, if that helps with anything.

Thanks again,
Carol

Can you describe it in more detail. coloration,flight,size,etc?

The bees are 1/2 - 3/4 inches in length (they aren't uniform in size), and more
round than slender. The abdomen is dark, the thorax is yellow with some black.
(I know, pretty lousy description!) Several I saw today going into the nest
hole had pollen baskets. The local beekeeper who was called to the location
could only ascertain that they were NOT honeybees (which we knew, of course)
and were bees rather than wasps (which we also knew). Their behavior seems
exactly that of the ground-nesting bumble bees whose description I quoted in a
overall, just the thorax).

I'll have to wait until morning to get a better look, now that you've asked the
questions, unless you can make a determination now. (I'm not even sure they'll
still be there, unfortunately.)

Many thanks!
Carol
Old 20-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Sed5555

Would someone here help identify a social bee that nests in lawns?

Could be "digger" bees, (anthropodidae):
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/diggers.htm
sed5555

Old 20-08-2003, 06:02 PM
CbarRose

(Sed5555) wrote:

Would someone here help identify a social bee that nests in lawns?

Could be "digger" bees, (anthropodidae):
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/diggers.htm

To sed5555, larflu, Beecrofter, and all who responded to my quest:

I got a better look this morning and the bees are almost certainly digger bees.
Yellow fuzzy thorax with a dark spot in the midpart of the back; black head;
black abdomen with (I think I can see) a yellow first segment. 1/2 inch to 3/4
inch, sizes not uniform. Flight seems fast and zigzaggy right now, but I'm not
sure if that's a constant over the course of the day (and I don't the
characteristics of digger bee flight, anyway). But most importantly,
pollen-dusted bees are going into individual holes that are very close to one
another, over an area of about 30 square feet.

The first day we saw a large number of bees (100 or more) over what seemed to
be one hole. It also seemed as if multiples of bees were going in and out of
that one hole. However, I now believe that our activity in the area (with the
kids playing, etc.) caused the disorientation, perhaps. There is still one
hole that's much larger than the others, and I'm wondering if it would be
possible that most of nests are digger bee nests, with the large one belonging
to a colony of social bees? (It doesn't look as if it were enlarged by other
wildlife.) Either way, these bees are some of the most gentle bees (according
to their behavior.....the toddler actually grabbed the bee and it was down her
shirt before she was stung).

I'm so grateful for the responses from this terrific group. I'm trying to save
these bees for many reasons, not the least of which is that these are the very
ones that pollinate my flowers and work side by side with me in my garden a few
houses away.

Thanks so very much,
Carol
Northeastern U.S.

Old 20-08-2003, 07:12 PM
CbarRose

Salty Thumb wrote:

(CbarRose) wrote in
:

I got a better look this morning and the bees are almost certainly
digger bees.

I thought you said that your neighbors said that the local beekeeper
said that they were bumblebees:

(CbarRose) wrote in
:

The first site you indicated above was one I'd visited earlier but I
just went back and reread the following which appears under the
Bumble Bee section:

snip

This is the scenario we're witnessing now, with many males flying
around the entrance. My neighbors have summoned, through the advice of
the township, a local beekeeper, who confirms the identification. We

Yup, he did, but he was hesitant at first, so I guess we can assume his area of
knowledge is limited to honeybees (and he said as much). I was going by the
behavior and not the description, because, as I noted later, they didn't seem
fuzzy enough to be bumble bees. (I'm learning all this stuff as I go along, of
course!) According to something I just read at a website, there are over 900
species of digger bees in North America, so appearance must vary.

(CbarRose) wrote in
:

Yellow fuzzy thorax with a dark spot in the midpart of the back; black
head; black abdomen with (I think I can see) a yellow first segment

I doesn's seem to match the digger bee picture in the link provided by
sed5555 ... shiny green non-spotted thorax, head hard to tell but looks

greenish, does have yellow segment.

That picture seemed a bit too sketchy (literally) to rely on.

Is it a carpenter bee?
http://www.prokillpestcontrol.biz/bees.htm
They have a dark spot on the thorax and looks like it might have a yellow

thin segment.

Back to the drawing board on that one. I've found numerous different
descriptions and photos of carpenter bees.. Some look somewhat like the bees in
question, some not. Behavior, however, seems dissimilar, but am not ruling
them out.

Wow, searching for pictures ... there are an awful lot of kids, pets and

Autobots masquerading as bumblebees.

Yes, it's certainly been quite a trek through masses of not-too-fabulous photos
(and lots of cutesy things).

Thanks, Salty. Looks like this ain't over yet!

Carol

[IMG] code is On

Ground nesting bees? markoc Lawns 2 13-04-2010 12:20 PM
Bees nesting in a plant pot ? Simon United Kingdom 7 03-07-2006 12:48 PM
Bees nesting under my house Devoto United Kingdom 7 06-08-2004 06:07 PM
Bees nesting in a flower tub Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 0 09-06-2003 10:32 AM
Honey bees nesting in garden s guy United Kingdom 27 19-05-2003 09:56 PM