Old 22-08-2004, 01:42 AM
escapee

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:17:22 -0400, Sheila opined:

escapee wrote:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:26:01 -0400, Sheila opined:

If you knew me you would know that I'm honest to a fault.

That statement alone is dishonest. Nobody, including me, is honest to a fault.
If you were The Dalai Lama or, well, I was going to say The Pope, but I think
he's full of crap too...anyway, anyone who says they are honest to a fault is
utterly dishonest with themselves.

That's your opinion, but that doesn't make it true.

No, it's true. You are not honest to a fault and if you were the least bit
honest with yourself, you'd know that.

Old 22-08-2004, 01:45 AM
escapee

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:58:35 GMT, "Vox Humana" opined:

And then there is Kerry:
Looks French

Is a Vietnam Vet, who volunteered
Has served for two decades in the Senate
Have a lot of experience dealing with others
Actually went to college
Reads the newspaper
Can speak without cue cards
Is not Bush.

Old 22-08-2004, 01:48 AM
escapee

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:02:00 -0500, zxcvbob opined:

Doug, Vox, et al,
Could y'all go masturbate somewhere else? Maybe take it to email or
something. This group is supposed to be about gardening.

Regards,
Bob

It's also an election year and people who've been posting here for many years
are allowed to have a discussion which is off topic. Clearly you can see the
subject, can you not? Oh, okay, they stay out of it.

Oh, Regards,
Victoria

Old 22-08-2004, 03:38 AM
The Watcher

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:12:53 -0400, Sheila wrote:

escapee wrote:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:51:59 -0400, Sheila opined:

So, it's OK to abort a child?

Yes, Sheila. People have abortions.

So when is it OK not to take a life. Should a person be allowed to kill
a child when it's a week old, maybe an hour old, where do you draw the
line?

*I* draw the line at the end of my nose. Why do you think YOUR line includes
other peoples' wombs?

Old 22-08-2004, 03:47 AM
The Watcher

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:57:19 -0400, Sheila wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"The Watcher" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:04:05 -0400, Sheila wrote:

(snip)
I also believe in science do not deny, misrepresent or attempt to stop
the teaching of science. As a matter of fact I think teaching science
is a good thing. I just don't happen to believe in evolution.

Oh boy, another True Believer! Do you really have the courage of your
convictions, though? If you REALLY don't believe in evolution, you should

make
sure and tell your doctor(if you go to doctors, that is) in the event you

ever
get an infection, that you want him to prescribe nothing but sulfa drugs

for
you. Sulfa drugs worked just fine for infections when they were developed.

They
should work just fine now, unless the germs have evolved. Go ahead. Make

their
day.

I don't get antibiotics often, but even so, my doctor has an interesting
system. If, for instance, I have a sinus infection and he feels any of 3
drugs will work, he always refers to my records, alternates drugs, and
prescribes the one I had in the MOST distant past. His reasoning is
precisely what you stated.

But, Sheila will tell us that the concept of drug-resistant germs is nothing
but junk science.

Boy, you guys just don't get it! Of course germs become resistant to
drugs, that is a far cry from the whole theory of evolution.

Wrong. That is the whole POINT of the whole theory of evolution. It's the reason
we don't bother with sulfa drugs any more. Next time you go to the drug store
try to find some sulfa drugs, so when you get an infection you won't have to
bother going to a doctor. Even better, just forget about all that junk science
and find a good old fashioned doctor who might be willing to do some trepanning
for you and let those evil demons out of your skull.

Like I said before, you guys hold on to your beliefs and I'll hold on to
mine.

Old 22-08-2004, 05:48 AM
Boxer

Jesus promoted Christian values, pity he hated the family so much!

Matthew 10:

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send
peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in
law.
36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me.

Boxer

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
In article ,
Vox Humana wrote:

The religious right spends the vast majority of its time address issues of
sex. Sex education, gay issues, abortion, and so on. They are
anti-feminist because of sexual issues. Sadly, they have defined
themselves
as one-dimensional.

No. Bigot.

billo

http://www.usenet.com
Old 22-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

We have a show I find absurd, although nothing as savage as BB. It's

called
"Trading Spaces". On each episode, two couples (aka "morons") swap

houses or
apartments and surprise each other with their lack of remodeling &
decorating skills. The results have included such monstrosities as walls
covered with headache-inducing purple chenille.

Oh, we have that. Old hat.
We also have "holiday swap"..that's where two unknown and utterly
incompatible families have each other's holiday and a thoroughly
miserable time doing things they hate. Briefly, we had one whose name I
forget, where two bosses swapped companies in incompatible fields, and
did economic damage while alienating entire workforces. Currently we're
in about the third series of "Wife swap". Unknown and incompatible ma,
pa and kids families swap ma's/wives for a fortnight, bicker and whine
incessantly, then meet up at the end so that the wives can hurl verbal
abuse at each other and both husbands.

These are the type of people
who decorate their front lawns with tacky stuffed sheep.

Round here, people who want sheep to decorate the front lawn just
leave the gate open.

Janet.

Do the sheep keep the lawn edges trimmed?

Old 22-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Doug Kanter

Oh please...your news reader, Thunderbird, gives you the option of seeing
just the first message of each thread. That makes it easy to not look at
what you don't want to see.

Old 22-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Doug Kanter

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

This Bush thread has been going on for days and has accounted for about
half the messages in this group lately. Doncha think that's enough?
In each the the above examples, I posted one or two messages in an
existing off-topic discussion thread. I'm not saying that's a *good*
thing, but I hardly see how it compares to you and Doug saying pretty
much the same rants over and over and over and over and monopolizing the
group.

Monopolizing??? There still seem to be a healthy number of other subjects
listed here. Our conversation has no effect on those other subjects - not
that YOU are aware of.

Old 22-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Vox Humana

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

This Bush thread has been going on for days and has accounted for about
half the messages in this group lately. Doncha think that's enough?
In each the the above examples, I posted one or two messages in an
existing off-topic discussion thread. I'm not saying that's a *good*
thing, but I hardly see how it compares to you and Doug saying pretty
much the same rants over and over and over and over and monopolizing the
group.

Monopolizing??? There still seem to be a healthy number of other subjects
listed here. Our conversation has no effect on those other subjects - not
that YOU are aware of.

As you can see, it is a personal issue. Notice who was targeted out of all
the people contributing to the thread. I went back and looked at what I
wrote. Most messages had no mention of religion, and those that did were
specifically targeting the religious-right which I see primarily as a
political movement. I can recall instances where Victoria has been the
target of anti-religious slurs but I didn't see Bob getting all hot - but
then she isn't a Christian. Bob had no problem with Sheila telling us that
teen pregnancy was lower "year ago" and that sex education leads to
increased sexual activity but completely ignoring any request to support the
assertions. Obviously we were suppose to just accept these things as fact
instead of asking for some proof. Paghat mentioned the association of the
KKK and Christianity but it was me who was accused of being
"anti-religious." Bob says that we posted the same thing over and over and
Sheila says we keep changing the subject. I'm accused of being dismissive,
but when Sheila tell us that she knows better just because of her unique
perspective, then that isn't dismissive. Go figure.

Old 22-08-2004, 04:46 PM
remove munged

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:34:50 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

I skipped this for a couple of days

If you're worried about wasted space consider trimming your
posts...netiquette 101!
Old 22-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:

It was clearly pointed out for your benefit that the religious right is NOT
REPRESENTATIVE of the majority of REAL Christians. Therefore, YOU have made
a one dimensional stereotype.

I am clearly pointing out the one-dimensional stereotypes of the so-called
religious right are bigoted. You are simply incapable of comprehending
that your bigotry is real.

billo
Old 22-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
remove munged wrote:
Great Bilbo is a bible and Monsanto whack!

Hiding behind another sock puppet, eh? At least I am not ashamed of
who I am.

billo
Old 22-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:

Usually the quiet ones, not the slobs who make it their business to get in
other peoples' faces about how they live their lives.

Yes, I am glad you are so critical of anti-Christian bigots who do this,
particularly by using newsgroups like rec.gardens to spread their
bigotry and hatred.

billo
Old 22-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:

Usually the quiet ones, not the slobs who make it their business to get

in
other peoples' faces about how they live their lives.

Yes, I am glad you are so critical of anti-Christian bigots who do this,
particularly by using newsgroups like rec.gardens to spread their
bigotry and hatred.

billo

Ah....but I will *never* affect your life. If you think words interfere with
your chosen ways, you're dreaming.