Old 21-08-2004, 03:21 AM
Sheila

paghat wrote:

In article , Sheila
wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

OK. That last paragraph is precious. Could you please provide at least two
sources (web links, scientific journals) for that ridiculous information,
preferably sources NOT connected with any religious organization?

By the way, some say I attribute too much to linguistic skills, but your

inclusion of an apostrophe in "girl's" reveals a lot about you.

Yep, when you have no arguments then pick out an error in typing or
spelling or putting an apostrophe in the wrong place. Insults replace
the need to have valid arguments.

Conversely, when you have no basis for silly assertions, whining &
whinging about feeling insulted replaces debate, even invalid debate.

What silly assertion are you talking about? What whining and
whinging(whatever that means) and felling insulted are you talking
about?
I'm not doing any of the above, just pointing out that she was
substituting that for debate.

I have lived and I have grandchildren and friends with grandchildren, so
I do know what is going on. Experience counts you know.

If you had valid arguments, you could have focused more on the request for
evidence of an assertion that on the surface appeared assinine &
incorrect. If you had any evidence for your amazingly silly assertions,
you would've provided it, instead of saying you're old & you just know.

Your assertion was that sex education "encourage sexual activity" and
"makes it harder for girl's [sic] to say 'no' to a guy."

I echo Doug's request: where do you get this crap? Out of your ass?

If you have to talk with a potty mouth, then talk to someone else!

Because here is the truth, according to the US Teenage Pregnancy
Statistics Special Report, & the "Survey of Sex Education Provision in
Secondary Schools" from the organization AVERT which is struggling to
lower the incidence of HIV & AIDS in teenage childrne.

Less than half the schools in America have adequate sex education. The
better the sex education program, the lower the teenage pregnancy rate.
Less sex education, more teenage pregnancy. WITH sex education there is a
loweredincidence of HIV and AIDS. Without adequate sex education fewer
girls learn "relationship negotiation skills" which arm them with a far
BETTER chance of saying "no," avoiding date-rape, & getting home without a
venereal disease.

Deal with this: Those who oppose adequate sex education in the schools
destroy the lives of children whose lives didn't need to be destroyed. Our
current president pandering to the religious right & perhaps his own idea
of God has sided with those who are fighting AGAINST adequate sex
education, without regard for what would actually protect children. So he
too is a danger to children.

And yes, some people will want to just insult you for deploring what
protects children best, quite justifiably insulted too. But be glad about
it because it gives you a chance to whine & whing that you were insulted,
rather than learning & growing sufficiently that you will no longer be
promoting mistruths & misguided notions that endanger even your own
vaunted grandchildren.

There is far more problems with teen pregnancy than years ago when sex
education wasn't in the schools. Yes, the last year or so, teen
pregnancy has come down, but it nowhere near the levels when I was
young.
But of course, you know all the answers!

This is my last post to you.
Old 21-08-2004, 03:26 AM
Sheila

If you knew me you would know that I'm honest to a fault.
Old 21-08-2004, 03:38 AM
Doug Kanter

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
In article ,
paghat wrote:

And bad people who try to coopt the ghosts of good people to their causes
hate to note that Martin could & did work well with Jews, agnostics, &

all
kinds of people, & was poiitically inspired by a Hindu.

And bigots forget that this is not uncommon in Christians.

billo

Usually the quiet ones, not the slobs who make it their business to get in
other peoples' faces about how they live their lives.

Old 21-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Doug Kanter

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
In article ,
Vox Humana wrote:

No. You just illustrated that the religion and the "religious right" are
two different entities.

No. Reducing any group to a one dimensional stereotype with statements
like "There are only two issues that concern the religious right - sex,
and sex." is bigotry. I don't expect you to comprehend that conservative
Christians are not all fundamentalists and don't all fit your bigoted
stereotype. Bigots like you will rarely face their bigotry.

billo

It was clearly pointed out for your benefit that the religious right is NOT
REPRESENTATIVE of the majority of REAL Christians. Therefore, YOU have made
a one dimensional stereotype.

Old 21-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Doug Kanter

"Sheila" wrote in message
When you can't debate with facts on your side, people always turn to
insults. That is what you are doing.

I'm not insulting you. I'm pointing out that what you call "changing the
subject" is nothing but an example of a binary thinker being left somewhat
behind by someone who is capable of taking small detours without losing the
main road.

Old 21-08-2004, 03:50 AM
Sheila

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Sheila" wrote in message
When you can't debate with facts on your side, people always turn to
insults. That is what you are doing.

I'm not insulting you. I'm pointing out that what you call "changing the
subject" is nothing but an example of a binary thinker being left somewhat
behind by someone who is capable of taking small detours without losing the
main road.

People change subjects exactly to lose the main road. Yes, you did and
still do insult me. It's a classic trick for when one is out of
arguments. This has turned into a really silly argument so I'm signing
out.
Old 21-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Doug Kanter

"Sheila" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote in message

I don't accept the government paying for abortions on demand.

I don't accept the government paying for superstition and bull shit

like
"Creationism" being taught in public schools.

Touché. Especially when the bullshit comes from a book written by

HUMANS.

Well, to each his own! I'll stick with my belief system and you stick
with yours.

Good! Make sure your belief system doesn't go near the laws of the land.

Old 21-08-2004, 03:55 AM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote in message

I don't accept the government paying for abortions on demand.

I don't accept the government paying for superstition and bull shit

like
"Creationism" being taught in public schools.

Touché. Especially when the bullshit comes from a book written by

HUMANS.

Which bullshit book do you have in mind? The Vedas & Upanishads? The
Koran? Rebi Kordova's The Palm Tree of Deborah? The Talmud? The Descent of
Inanna? Oh right, the Bible. It's a FASCINATING compendium, one of the
greatest literary works of all time, & only as bullshitty as the other of
the top-ten works of literature since literacy began. I mean criminy, do
you know the story of why Tamar posed as a harlot to get knocked up by her
father-in-law, at risk of being stoned to death; & why this made her more
righteous than Judah? It's just one of hundreds of deeply profound
beautiful & strange tales with psychological complexity & heroism. All our
favorite genres are in there somewhere. Humanity is a stinking eruption on
the face of the planet that destroys everything in its path, & if ANYthing
justifies our appalling existance, it is this very capacity to create such
art & poetry that is Torah.

-paghat the ratgirl

Yes. All religions have interesting literature. But, unless I can raise hell
and insist that elected officials believe in John Updike as if he were a
deity, these stories need to be kept far away from government.

Old 21-08-2004, 03:57 AM
Doug Kanter

"Sheila" wrote in message

Vox Humana wrote:

"Sheila" wrote in message

I don't accept the government paying for abortions on demand.

I don't accept the government paying for superstition and bull shit like
"Creationism" being taught in public schools.

It's no different than teaching evolution. That's what I was taught,
although I don't believe that my ancestors were monkeys.

In that case, there must be a few thousand scientists whose academic major
was lying. Are their irrefutable findings influenced by the devil?

Old 21-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Doug Kanter

"Sheila" wrote in message

paghat wrote:

In article , Sheila

wrote:

Vox Humana wrote:

"Sheila" wrote in message

I don't accept the government paying for abortions on demand.

I don't accept the government paying for superstition and bull shit

like
"Creationism" being taught in public schools.

It's no different than teaching evolution. That's what I was taught,
although I don't believe that my ancestors were monkeys.

Well, some were taught one thing and some people were taught others.

Nor does anything about Evolution suppose that your ancestors were
monkeys, so clearly you weren't educated on this topic even at even the
simplest entry-level!

Now Faith can be a poetic thing, but the desire of the Faithful to

remain
ignorant of science, deny science, misrepresent science, & attempt to

stop
the teaching of science, suggests that their own faith is a very tiny
thing.

I also believe in science do not deny, misrepresent or attempt to stop
the teaching of science. As a matter of fact I think teaching science
is a good thing. I just don't happen to believe in evolution.

Honest to gosh FAITH is an end in itself that requires no proofs -- the
moment you require proof, or deplore proof to the contrary for some
baseless religious sentiment, you have shown a tepid faith or a lack of
faith.

It takes no faith to believe in scientific ideas of Evolution or the age
of the earth or any number of things that tepidly faithful

fundamentalists
deplore. Scientific method is capable of testing a premise & improving

on
the testing methods as knowledge increases. Physics for instance isn't

an
alternative theory to "God did it," its just a practical method of
defining what is real. By comparison there is no evidence that God

exists
& in all reasonable likelihood there never can be evidence. But Faith
requires no evidence or it wouldn't be Faith.

If you ever do acquire a solid Faith, you'll discover that science &
practicality & reality are not rivals of Faith, ook ook!

Never did I say that science and practicality and reality are rivals of
Faith. I'm a very practical person and I believe in reality, also in
action and reaction. Where did you ever get the idea that I didn't?

Because you said you don't believe in evolution, silly. Meanwhile, there's
no evidence that we existed in our present form millions of years ago. So,
what do you suppose Adam & Eve looked like?

Old 21-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Doug Kanter

"Sheila" wrote in message

Really? How many do YOU think there are? A ballpark guess will suffice.

And,
what's the difference anyway?

The vast majority of people without insurance are either in between jobs
or don't work at all.

Sorry. No. Tell your minister to arm you with better information so you
don't sound silly when you repeat it.

If there are 1000 in this entire country, they
deserve to receive assistance, especially if they're working their tails

off
like the rest of us and still unable to make ends meet.

Does someone who doesn't work and is able really DESERVE to take money
from the rest of us for anything! I'm not talking about those that
really can't work, but most welfare recipients are very able to work.

Sorry. No. Tell your minister to arm you with better information so you
don't sound silly when you repeat it.

I don't accept the government paying for injuries incurred when morons

don't
wear eye protection while using power tools. But, I accept it because

it's
not the government's place to judge how people ended up the way they

are.

It's not the same thing at all.

Sorry. No. Certain types say a woman who gets pregnant outside of a
situation where she can afford it is getting what she deserves for being
immoral or irresponsible. That's exactly the same as my harsh judgement that
someone who loses an eye deserves what they get for not wearing goggles.

No, it's not immature to thing that way. Sex education at school

seems
to encourage sexual activity, not just educate. It makes it much

harder
for girl's to so 'no' to a guy today.

OK. That last paragraph is precious. Could you please provide at least

two
sources (web links, scientific journals) for that ridiculous

information,
preferably sources NOT connected with any religious organization?

By the way, some say I attribute too much to linguistic skills, but your

inclusion of an apostrophe in "girl's" reveals a lot about you.

Yep, when you have no arguments then pick out an error in typing or
spelling or putting an apostrophe in the wrong place. Insults replace
the need to have valid arguments.

I have lived and I have grandchildren and friends with grandchildren, so
I do know what is going on. Experience counts you know.

Based on your comments thus far, I'd bet a week's pay that you were a
grandmother when you were 30.

Old 21-08-2004, 04:09 AM
Doug Kanter

"Sheila" wrote in message

There is far more problems snip

Oooh. The litmus paper just turned purple.

"...is our children being educated?" -George W. Bush

You're a drone/clone!

Old 21-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Sheila

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Sheila" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote in message

I don't accept the government paying for abortions on demand.

I don't accept the government paying for superstition and bull shit

like
"Creationism" being taught in public schools.

Touché. Especially when the bullshit comes from a book written by

HUMANS.

Well, to each his own! I'll stick with my belief system and you stick
with yours.

Good! Make sure your belief system doesn't go near the laws of the land.

No, not your choice to tell me what my belief system goes near. I will
vote for candidates who believe that same things that I do.
Old 21-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Sheila

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Sheila" wrote in message

paghat wrote:

In article , Sheila

wrote:

Vox Humana wrote:

"Sheila" wrote in message

[...]

You can not believe in evolution and still believe in science. Some
science is junk science and some is not.

Meanwhile, there's
no evidence that we existed in our present form millions of years ago. So,
what do you suppose Adam & Eve looked like?

How long ago did Adam and Eve live?
Old 21-08-2004, 04:24 AM
Sheila

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Sheila" wrote in message

Vox Humana wrote:

"Sheila" wrote in message

I don't accept the government paying for abortions on demand.

I don't accept the government paying for superstition and bull shit like
"Creationism" being taught in public schools.

It's no different than teaching evolution. That's what I was taught,
although I don't believe that my ancestors were monkeys.

In that case, there must be a few thousand scientists whose academic major
was lying. Are their irrefutable findings influenced by the devil?

Where is the science that shows irrefutable findings for evolution?