Old 05-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Shez

In article , Aunty Kreist Aunty_Kreist@
satanickittens.net writes

"Shez" wrote in message
news
In article , Aunty Kreist Aunty_Kreist@
satanickittens.net writes

"Shez" wrote in message
In article , Aunty Kreist

Aunty_Kreist@
satanickittens.net writes

"Shez" wrote in message
In article , Shez
writes
In article , Aunty Kreist
Aunty_Kreist@
satanickittens.net writes
Hey Shez-
Have a quick question.....

The #$%$@* nursey I order from has just shipped my climbing roses.
They
arrived today.

What the heck? They are supposed to ship at the planting times of

the
zones
you live in....Dangit!

There's 6 inches of snow currently on the ground.
Will the roses be OK? They are bare root, and in very good shape.
Stems
are
nice and green, and the roots are very moist ( wrapped in moss).

Will they be OK if I store them for about a month? What should I

do-
keep
roots moist with the moss and store in a cool, dark place?

Don't put the moss in water simply put a bowl of water in the place
your
storing them in so the that moss will keep damp from the water

vapour
in
the room. Cool but not freezing, and of course dark..
You got it. Keep an eye on them, if they start to sprout, which is
possible now they are in moss and have been watered then pop them

into
pots on a well lit windowsill or near a glass door. It doesn't need

be a warm place.. In fact its better if its cool it will slow down

the
growth and make planting easier if they are not to far advanced.

Don't worry roses will keep well just as bare roots with a bit of
newspaper around them for weeks. The are pretty hardy.

Once the ground is no longer frozen, it doesn't matter if its cold

or
wet, as long as the ground isn't soggy, dig a hole big enough to

take
the root system... a bit of compost with well rotted horse manure
helps,
and a bit of bone meal. Put them into the hole, then the rose

roots,
so
that the join at the root and the stem where the modern rose has

been
grafted on are above the earth, and doesn't get to wet. Shovel your
soil
back in and press it down hard with your boots, don't be to gentle,
firm
the roots in and then water it well.. After that go away and ignore
it... the more you ignore it the better it will do.

Oh I forgot to say roses don't like soggy roots so if you have a

clay
soil break it up well put in sand and gravel to provide good runoff,
before you put the compost and roots in.

We do have soil that has heavy orange colored clay. I usually get a

bunch
of
topsoil every year, and had wanted to dig out a hole 2x what's needed

for
the roses, fill with the topsoil, then put the roses in. I saw at Home
Depot
that they also sell soil especially for roses, I might try that out

and
see
how it works.

That would be a very expensive way of planting roses, some well rotted
horse manure mixed with compost, and a little bone will make any rose
happy... They love horse manure.
If you have a stable nearby go and ask if you can buy some they

normally
sell huge bags for pennies they are really glad to get rid of it.

Hee hee,,,,my good friend is a horse caretaker for a stable, I'll ask him

bag me up some manure.

Well you fell on your feet, send some of it my way

Tuck it into a nice sheltered part of the garden with the rest of your
compost materials and let it steam away happily for a few weeks, if its
frosty and cold it will help break it down..keep turning it, and
persuade the man in your life to urinate over the compost heap.. That
will give a kick start to the process... By the time you put those roses
in the ground they will be sitting on the equivalent of the earths crown
jewels.. The best compost you can find.

You couldn't buy anything from any shop that was half as good..

Oy, but I can just imagine the smell!
Ewwww....and I have to touch it? :P

Once the compost is composted it doesn't smell bad at all, though the
horse manure carries a bit of a whiff. You can use rubber gloves or
gardening gloves if you don't like touching it, but if you think about
it, every bit of your garden started out as compost, and I bet over the
centuries enough people have urinated on it to fill a small pond..

--
Shez
Shez's Garden at
Old 05-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Shez

In article , Aunty Kreist Aunty_Kreist@
satanickittens.net writes

snip for space only.

They should be fine, just keep an eye on them to see if they start
shooting, with a bit of luck it will be cool enough on your porch to
keep them dormant until you get them into the ground.

Hee hee! We can hope.......

On another note, there is a flower and garden expo in town here this
weekend, I hope to visit it tomorrow. I better not bring too much money with
me!

Happiness I love those shows, and I always end up with an armful of
stuff..

Old 05-03-2005, 02:28 PM
c3dlc

http://www.idpz.net/c3dlc2/jamais-surpris.com/.dtc
Old 05-03-2005, 03:14 PM
The Cunning Linguist :Þ

"Aunty Kreist" wrote in message

Heh. Do pussy willows count?

So this farmer hears a knock at his door. He opens it and there stands a man
who is obviously a city slicker. "Excuse me," says the man, "but I noticed
some Honeysuckle growing down by your gate. I was wondering if you would
allow me to gather some of the honey. I would gladly share it with you."
Laughing at the ignorance of the city fellow, the farmer said, "Sure, you go
right ahead."
A couple of hours later, there is another knock at the door and there stands
the city slicker with two buckets of honey. He hands one to the farmer and
says, "Here's your share." All the farmer can do is look astonished as he
takes the honey and the man leaves.
That very next weekend, the city slicker shows up again. "Excuse me, sir,
but I noticed some Milk Weed growing over by your pond. I wonder if I could
harvest some of the milk? I would gladly share anything I take with you."
Laughing at how stupid some people can be, the farmer agreed. A couple of
hours later, here comes the city slicker with two pails of milk. He hands
the totally perplexed farmer his share and leaves.
The following weekend again comes the knock at the door. It's the city
slicker. "Excuse me, sir, but I noticed some Pussy Willow . . . "
"Just a minute, son, let me get my coat!"

--
Talesin- The Bad Boy of Witchcraft (tm)

To give Tales his due, he is a talented and able witch. However he is a
negative energy and will show you the "highlights" of a negatively applied
system.

http://home.kc.rr.com/pendragonsloft

© 2005 by Talesin- The Bad Boy of Witchcraft. All rights reserved

Old 05-03-2005, 03:15 PM
The Cunning Linguist :Þ

"Shez" wrote in message

That would be a very expensive way of planting roses, some well rotted
horse manure mixed with compost, and a little bone will make any rose
happy... They love horse manure.

The we should call you "Goddess of the Roses"

Old 05-03-2005, 03:16 PM
The Cunning Linguist :Þ

"Shez" wrote in message

Could be... stranger things have happened

Look at your existence, for example

Old 05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
The Cunning Linguist :Þ

"madgardener" wrote in message
I frelling LOVE it. children quit throwing the spells around and the

curses,
evil eyes and bad thoughts and think SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but

on
the other hand, we really haven't had a good old fashioned FOOD FIGHT to
relieve the tensions in awhile, so fling away. in between the words and
mumbles, are some hilarious retorts, comebacks and snickers. I love this
newsgroup! This is why I visit even if I don't always contribute what some
would think is trite ramblings.

I can see why you fit in so well with the gardening group. Let me guess, you
speciality is fertilizer

garden note: my Siberian crocus are blooming again! woo hoo!!

Like you had something to do with it

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7?, Sunset zone 36 where I have CLAY
that I put compost, pea gravel, sand and leaves into all the time to work

it
down and so far, NO CEMENT, no BRICKS! LOL

You are as boring as dirt

Old 05-03-2005, 04:26 PM
The Cunning Linguist :Þ

"c3dlc" wrote in message
om...
http://www.idpz.net/c3dlc2/jamais-surpris.com/.dtc

We don't open URL's, frog

Q: How many soldiers does it take to defend Paris?
A: No one knows, it's never been done

Old 05-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Salty Thumb

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message vwiWd.68185$Dc.27432@trnddc06
from Salty Thumb contains these words:

dps wrote in news:4228ab57$0$572$b45e6eb0
@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
... The versatile range of the compact concealed applicator, is a
well kept secret. ...

The chamber pot is also a useful tool. The whole family can use it.

Speaking of chamber pots, there use to be a technological innovation
called the Internet Toilet (not the Micro$oft Internet Toilet). I
guess they don't sell it any more because it was basically a jug
marked "Internet toilet". Big seller, I guess. Not sure if it was
suitable for women, versatile range or no.

Here, they sell a plastic thing for women to pee in the
car...without
leaving their seat. I think its also used by women in wheelchairs.

In the days when women wore crinoline dresses with huge skirts
supported on a wire frame, the wearer couldn't undress without
assistance; nor could she sit down once she had been dressed. dressed.
So how do you think they managed all day long? Well, they didn't wear
drawers, took walks in the garden/park, and peed standing up.

Janet.

I always assumed there were ladies-in-waiting in attendance or a midget
with a bucket under there waddling after her.

Anyway, Internet Urinal with female adapter "only" $5
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/7293/
Old 07-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Kethera

Greetings Janet,

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Shez contains these words:

Most European herbs are from Italy,

You're completely mistaken.

and they normally grow best on a
well drained and even sandy soil.. With a lot of sun.

Mediterranean herbs don't "mostly come from Italy". They certainly
grow well in a well-drained sunny situation, but other European herbs,
native to more northerly parts of the continent, do better in cool damp
heavy soils.

Janet. (Scotland, in Europe)

I didn't realize this. Thanks for the info.
-Keth

[IMG] code is On

spring has sprung! culprit Gardening 4 06-02-2005 05:33 PM
Spring has sprung... Grandpa Edible Gardening 11 24-02-2004 04:14 AM
Spring has sprung... Grandpa Gardening 13 24-02-2004 04:12 AM
Spring is sprung Part 2 martin United Kingdom 8 17-02-2004 01:51 PM
Spring has Sprung!! Brian Gardening 21 21-01-2004 11:32 PM