Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-09-2003, 04:14 AM
profpam

Default Stanhopia Oculata Question

Jeff,

I just love the blooms that the Stanhopia produces, and I have several
grown in wire baskets with greater than 12" leaf-spans. Leaves are not
real dark green are provided cattleya light. But, only once have I had
a bloom on them despite the fact that they appear to be getting ample
light -- tips sometimes will get sunburned; so, in this respect I'm in
the same boat as Shell.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Wendy wrote:

Yes Jeff, whatever you are doing, don't change a thing. I think my Stans are
in dire need
of a change of sphagnum moss.
Cheers Wendy
"P.J. Bloodworth" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I obtained a small Stanhopea oculata seedling from Oak Hill in 5/02 for a
very reasonable $4.00. At that time, the longest leaf blade, not including
the petiole, was 5" atop a pseudobulb about 1/2" in diameter. I placed it

in
a 10" wire basket in pure sphagnum moss. Since that time, it has grown
steadily longer leaves (5", 7", 6",11") on a single lead. The largest
pseudobulb is now 1" in diameter. To my amazement, I saw a spike this
morning protruding from the bottom of the basket! If this is any

indication,
your wait may not be so long.

Jeff

"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
I have just gotten a Stanhopia oculata on eBay. I have been doing some
reearch on the web but I can't find anything on how old a plant has to

be
flower. Is it like most and needs to be several years old?

&rd=1

This is the page for the auction. Any opinions on the plant?

Shell

What's with Stanhopia's TRAINMAN9 Orchids 6 21-04-2004 06:04 PM
Stanhopia Oculata Question-Plastic Coated Mesh Baskets?? Wendy Orchids 4 23-09-2003 01:05 AM
stanhopia again nanook Orchids 0 27-01-2003 06:16 PM
stanhopia again Diane Mancino Orchids 1 27-01-2003 04:00 AM