Old 09-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Al

Default Formosae (Nigrohirsute) type Dendrobiums

I am looking for tips and tricks to help me grow this type of dendrobium.
All I really know about them is why they have the name Nigrohirsute.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Dave Gillingham

I know mvery little about the Section. One of my books (Lavarack,
Harris & Stocker) states, inter alia: "The plants are epiphytic in
areas with or without a defined dry dry season". Seems to me that you
would need to know the species, or the genealogy of the hybrid, to
determine the best treatment.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Wendy

Al,
Found this at www.sdorchids.com

FORMOSAE (Nigrohirsutae Type) Canelike pseudobulbs, with black hairs on
leaf sheaths and pseudobulbs often apparent, leading to the popular name
nigrohirsutae. Flowers usually white, up to 4 inches across, two to
three together from near the end of the pseudobulb. Long lasting.
Species such as Den. bellatulum, Den. dearii, Den. draconis, Den.
formosum, Den. infundibulum, Den. lowii, Den. lyonii, Den.
margaritaceum, Den. sanderae and Den. schuetzii.

Culture Intermediate to cool year round, 50 to 60 F nights, maximum 85 F
days. Water and fertilize when growing; give a slight short rest (dry)
when growth is completed. Keep barely moist until growth starts again.

Remove peterpan for email reply

Cheers Wendy

Old 10-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Lady Blacksword

Sounds interesting. Have you taken a pic of yours, Al? I'd love to see what
the hairs look like.
Murri

Al,

Old 10-03-2005, 04:30 PM
K Barrett

Same here. I've managed to get a small collection of Latoureas and I have
no idea what to repot them in. One local grower uses clay pots and sphag
moss. Another uses a seedling mix. H&R uses a diatomite mix. One grow
dry, one grows cool, one grows intermediate, one grows wet. sheesh. Add to
that the idea that they may/may not like to be pot bound. So I've left mine
in their original containers, but that's gottta stop.

K Barrett

Old 11-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Dave Gillingham

I think you really need to know which species, or the parentage of the
hybrid, for both Latourea and Nigrohirsute sections (and indeed for
most Den sections). Consider New Guinea - hot, steamy, swampy
equatorial lowlands to high, cold mountains. Very different rainfalls
from area to area. Different species within the Section can typically
grow at quite different temperatures; some have seasonal rainfall, &
some experience rain all year round. Applying generalised rules to
these can result in quite inappropriate conditions for some plants.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Al

So the sections into which they are divided can not be used to determine
general culture. Yippy. I knew the AOS culture sheets made it too simple
http://aos.org/aos/uploadedfiles/doc...eddendrobe.pdf

Old 11-03-2005, 07:45 PM
K Barrett

Yeah, and that's why I'd avoided collecting *any* dendrobium. Just too many
variables. (Do they go dormant? Do you seasonally withhold nitrogen?)

Nevertheless I've got these few and I'm hoping to grow them well....yet am
unsure about how to repot. Luckily there's a show ths afternooon, so I'll
ask some of the folks there and see if I get any sort of concensus at all
(like *that* will ever happen where orchids are concerned...)

I have/had a few nice dendrobium sites bookmarked, and always intended to
read up on them, but, you know...its always easier just to stand around...

K Barrett

----

Old 13-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Dave Gillingham

Most of my collection are dendrobiums. Like most of you, I guess, I've
simply bought a selection of books over time that cover my interests.
For dens, Baker & Baker, and Lavarack, Harris & Stocker are excellent.
The info in those helps to determine how to grow them. Over here, the
standartd wisdom regarding fertiliser seems to be high nitrogen whilst
rapidly growing, & then high potassium to enhance flowering. One
nurseryman whose plants are extremeny good cites the following
fertiliser ratios:
hi N: NPK 14:5:22
hi K: NPK 7:11:27

Old 13-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Dave Gillingham

Murri, I have only one nigrohirsute - Den. Thai Jasmine. I'll post a
pic of the plant in abpo.

Old 13-03-2005, 04:01 PM
K Barrett

Thanks Dave! I didn't know Stocker was a co-author on the Lavarack
reference. I guess I'll have to go book-buying. (always something I
enjoy!)

K Barrett

Old 14-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Dave Gillingham

I find the three most dangerous places to let me loose are orchid
nurseries, hardware shops, & bookstores. *Very* expensive. Some
would say weak willpower!

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:01:41 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Thanks Dave! I didn't know Stocker was a co-author on the Lavarack
reference. I guess I'll have to go book-buying. (always something I
enjoy!)

K Barrett

.. .