Old 13-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Maybe OT -- Internet Orchid Shopping

I would like to hear the concensus of those who post here concerning this
topic. I'm not asking anyone to "name names" but I would like to know:

If you place an order, receive it, and are not happy with it, for whatever
reason, what do you want the grower to do?

Our own policy is to apologize [whether or not we think we did anything
wrong G], and ask that the unsatisfactory plants be returned, whereupon we
will issue a full refund including the return postage. Fortunately for us,
it's a rare occurence, but I'm still curious.

What say all of you? What more would you expect, if anything?
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 13-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:04:19 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

I would like to hear the concensus of those who post here concerning this
topic. I'm not asking anyone to "name names" but I would like to know:

If you place an order, receive it, and are not happy with it, for whatever
reason, what do you want the grower to do?

Our own policy is to apologize [whether or not we think we did anything
wrong G], and ask that the unsatisfactory plants be returned, whereupon we
will issue a full refund including the return postage. Fortunately for us,
it's a rare occurence, but I'm still curious.

What say all of you? What more would you expect, if anything?

Well so far it has not happened to me with Orchids. (Thanks to you who
know who you are!)

I would like the chance to have the vendor make the order good first
before going for a refund. Just my Humble Opinion. Everyone has a bad
day or has an unforeseen accident happen to their shipment, and it
seems to me that letting the Vendor have the option of making the
order good or refunding the order would be a reasonable attitude and
policy to have.

But then I do own rose colored glasses..
Dave
Old 14-05-2005, 12:04 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:04:19 -0400 in Kenni Judd wrote:
I would like to hear the concensus of those who post here concerning this
topic. I'm not asking anyone to "name names" but I would like to know:

If you place an order, receive it, and are not happy with it, for whatever
reason, what do you want the grower to do?

Our own policy is to apologize [whether or not we think we did anything
wrong G], and ask that the unsatisfactory plants be returned, whereupon we
will issue a full refund including the return postage. Fortunately for us,
it's a rare occurence, but I'm still curious.

What say all of you? What more would you expect, if anything?

Beyond bad plants, there are some things I expect.
1) Notify the customer upon shipment. Do not depend on Fedex
to successfully send the email with the tracking information.
2) Make sure that your ordering system doesn't arbitrarily truncate
or convert customer data. Email addresses can be exceedingly long.
Phone numbers may be international or have an extension or use
non-standard separators.

Now, plant specific....

The only orchid I've ordered mailorder that came in extremely poor condition,
the grower realized this plant was in ppor health and sent an extra plant
to begin with.
I will order from this vendor again, but I'm going to need more room first :-).

I recently received some Plantanthera Blephariglottis (Ooops, I essentially
named names), of which one did have some sort of an infection on the leaf.
That seems to have subsided with an application of physan. Because
the value of the plant is less than shipping costs, I don't see the
point of returning if the plant dies within the next week.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 14-05-2005, 01:09 AM
halgren

Kenni Judd wrote:
I would like to hear the concensus of those who post here concerning this
topic. I'm not asking anyone to "name names" but I would like to know:

If you place an order, receive it, and are not happy with it, for whatever
reason, what do you want the grower to do?

Our own policy is to apologize [whether or not we think we did anything
wrong G], and ask that the unsatisfactory plants be returned, whereupon we
will issue a full refund including the return postage. Fortunately for us,
it's a rare occurence, but I'm still curious.

I think that is pretty much the right way to handle it. I don't know
what else you can do... But keep track, I'd start refusing orders from
people who made a habit of complaining. If they complain each time (it
can't be that bad or they wouldn't keep ordering) those kinds of
customers nobody really needs.

What say all of you? What more would you expect, if anything?

I'm pretty relaxed, I'd settle for an apology if I thought the grower
was at fault, and not the shipping company. But I think some customers
have unreasonable expectations. Don't know if you can satisfy them.
And then there are the ones that want free plants. "No, the plants were
awful, refund my money but I'm not sending them back", is a sure sign.
If they are that awful, why would they want to keep them?

Rob (littlefrogfarm.com still not working right. Heads are gonna roll,
folks...)

Old 14-05-2005, 01:58 AM
J Fortuna

Kenni,
I am probably a bad respondent to this thread, since the only time that I
was not satisfied with a mail ordered orchid I did not inform the vendor but
I never ordered from them again. I don't know whether any vendor could do
anything in response to that. The main thing that this vendor should have
done is not send me a phal with almost no roots left to begin with (so bad
that it wobbled when shaken -- it maybe had one or two healthy roots when I
had it repotted within a week of receiving it). I don't know why I didn't
inform the vendor. I decided to keep the plant and treat it well and see how
it would do. Two years later this plant (a phal belina) has a very healthy
root system and it is in bud (yay!), so the story has a happy ending for the
orchid and for me. However, I still would not buy from that vendor, and they
still don't know why not, they didn't ask, I didn't tell. I wonder how often
that happens.
Joanna

Old 14-05-2005, 03:09 AM
Susan Erickson

Kenni Judd wrote:
I would like to hear the concensus of those who post here concerning this
topic. I'm not asking anyone to "name names" but I would like to know:

If you place an order, receive it, and are not happy with it, for whatever
reason, what do you want the grower to do?

Our own policy is to apologize [whether or not we think we did anything
wrong G], and ask that the unsatisfactory plants be returned, whereupon we
will issue a full refund including the return postage. Fortunately for us,
it's a rare occurence, but I'm still curious.

We were spoiled when we moved from Chicago (and all the vendors
in the Michigan/Northern Indiana/Chicago Land/Southern Wisconsin
area to Colorado. Here the city water is great, the light is
tremendous, and winter is mild. Locals think a local nursery is
the place to buy orchids... and I read the tags - They are from
all the places I can buy from online. I shop the shelves too.
But I am more apt to go home and place an order with the original
grower than buy from the local flower shop.

There is one vendor in the Metro Denver area who is an Orchid
grower- Fantasy Orchids. But compared to Oak Hill and
Hausermann's it is not a lot larger than a good hobby collection.

So when I buy on line, I want - no make that DEMAND that my order
generates a notice - Nothing worse than sending an order then
wondering if they got it, can they fill it, will they ship it?
Until your bank says they collected the money.
So - acknowledged order -
and shipping information - "your order is being mailed on xx/xx.
Or we are shipping the delivery service under this code number.
We have problems with the mail-bot - she can't read - so
packages that say do not bend are bent to fit in the mail box and
boxes that are labeled for protection from sun or cold are left
on the doorstep in the sun.
I want to know when to expect delivery so I can make sure I am
home and the inside door is open so I can see the delivery as it
is made.

As to plants - I wish I could pick them off the bench - but
realize they will be someone else's choice. I want the largest
that was described or I want a discount or some other 'I am
sorry.' If I find the plant in the 4" pot is potted up that
morning and was better suited to a 2 1/2 or 3" pot I am going to
feel cheated. If I don't feel cheated I will tell others to shop
with you. If I do I will tell them not to bother if they tell me
they are thinking of placing an order.

I will tell you to let the weather break if it is Feb. and I may
tell you to use less heat packs. I have found more damage from
heat packs than cold on early spring shipments. But like Joanna
- I probably will not complain.
SuE
Old 14-05-2005, 04:02 AM
Dave Sheehy

Kenni Judd ) wrote:
: I would like to hear the concensus of those who post here concerning this
: topic. I'm not asking anyone to "name names" but I would like to know:

: If you place an order, receive it, and are not happy with it, for whatever
: reason, what do you want the grower to do?

Like Joanna I rarely if ever contact a mail order vendor about a problem. If
I get the sense that the vendor is a flake I'll chalk it up to experience
and never order from that vendor again. Luckily, I've never had a problem
with a grower (I've ordered from at least 5) so I've never really had to
cross that bridge. Well, there was the time that a grower sent me a
Dendrobium with scale on it but I don't consider that a problem worth
contacting the grower about.

If sufficiently motivated to contact the grower (e.g. I really, really,
really, want that plant and you're one of the few that offers it) I would
want a replacement and not a refund. I want the plant, not the money.

: Our own policy is to apologize [whether or not we think we did anything
: wrong G], and ask that the unsatisfactory plants be returned, whereupon we
: will issue a full refund including the return postage. Fortunately for us,
: it's a rare occurence, but I'm still curious.

I really hate having to ship stuff back. Not only do I have spend the time
to re-package the silly thing but I have to spend money to ship it back
making the whole transaction more expensive for me. Of course the box it
came in is probably too big for shipping it back (who mail orders just one
orchid?). Oh by the way, my wife throughs all empty boxes in the trash so in
all likelihood I'll have to buy a box in order to ship the plant back to you.
Worst of all, I have to somehow find time in my day to make the trek down
to UPS/FedEx during business hours to stand in line to get the thing shipped.
My life is too hectic already without having to deal with all that hassle.
You will go on my list of high maintenance vendors and one of three things
will happen. First, if I perceive you to be a high quality vendor then I
won't sweat that rare problem and I'll take the hit myself and make life
easy on myself. Second, if there are other vendors that I know of who don't
require me to ship stuff back I'll deal with them preferentially over you.
I feel that I should state that while I don't expect a grower to provide a
replacement without returning the unsatisfactory plant I greatly appreciate
(and am amazed at the trust) of the growers that do. Third, if the first
two situations don't apply I'll silently never order from you again.

As a side note I think the preceding diatribe answers Rob's rhetorical
question about why an honest customer would object to sending an order back.
Then again, maybe my laziness qualifies me as a bad customer. :-)

Dave

Old 14-05-2005, 04:21 AM
Kenni Judd

Hi, Dave: In my effort to be brief, I neglected to mention that we will
replace rather than refund -- if we believe the complaint to be in good
faith [note Rob's post]. Otherwise, we'd rather have our plants back, issue
the refund and be done with it.

It's only happened to us 4-5 times in several thousand shipments over the
last seven years. A couple of times, it was good repeat customers; we took
them at their word and replaced the plants, waiving the return of those
deemed unsatisfactory. A couple of times, it was people obviously "trying
out" plants, at our expense for shipping both ways [we used to include
shipping costs in our prices until the post office made that unfeasible].
E.g., one lady complained about a box of vandaceous; when we got it back,
one plant had one brown leaf-tip -- and then she wanted Catts in replacement
.... So, generally, we won't waive the return of the "unsatisfactory" plants
for a first-time buyer. [Note Rob's post again] But we pay the return
postage to get the plants back, which is more than I think most nurseries
do.

The notice issue hasn't seemed to be a problem for us. I tell people when
their orders are going to ship, and so far the USPS has been good about
confirming it when I generate the labels. The only delivery problems I can
recall a (1) the postal worker got stuck in a snow drift; she used her
cellphone to call the customer to rescue her plants; (2) one gentleman
relied on his neighbor to get his plants, the neighbor left them broiling in
the metal mailbox for 2 days (we took the plants back, he eventually
re-bought them G); (3) one lady claimed, after I had a delivery
confirmation receipt, that the USPS had stolen her plants (I offered to
replace them at half-price, to "share the loss," didn't hear back from her).
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 14-05-2005, 05:44 AM
J Fortuna

All this talk of packages and delivery reminded me of the one time my orchid
shipment got misplaced on a different floor of the office building that I
used to work in. I never mail-ordered from that vendor again.

That sounds harsh and unfair doesn't it?

Except that it's actually rather silly. You see, the vendor was Al -- it's
ok to name names, since it certainly wasn't his fault that the orchid got
misplaced in my office building. And his greenhouse is located only a 40
minute drive from where I live. Don't ask me why on earth I mail ordered the
orchid instead of coming for it. Insanity? I had bought from Al before, and
I have bought from him since. Al was nicely calm and reassuring about the
mail misplacement, and he didn't call me an idiot for mail ordering the
plant to begin with (not calling client idiot, even when they clearly are at
fault, is a big plus). We both agreed though that the mail ordering was a
bad experiment not to be repeated.

Joanna

Old 14-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Ray

From the consumer perspective, I always let the vendors know if there is a
problem, but my expectations of the resolution vary. If a plant was
misrepresented, and is much smaller than what I expected, I usually ask for
a replacement, or another as compensation. If, on the other hand, I see
that the culture was very poor, I just request a refund, as I'd rather not
have more problems headed my way.

From the vendor end, I'd LIKE to hear of problems, so I can fix them. As I
don't typically stock large numbers of plants, sending a replacement is not
always an option. Usually, I apologize and simply refund the money, adding
that I hope they are successful in raising the disappointing plant to their
level of satisfaction. Like Kenni, this has only happened a couple of times
in 10+ years of business, and fortunately, I haven't run across too many
scammers trying to take advantage of that. (If I get a surge of them now
after saying this, I will refuse them all, so don't get any ideas.)

Keep in mind that some things are perception-based. If I have 50 plants and
see that 20 or so are in bud, I consider them, as a whole, to be flowering
size. Once that plant gets to you (assuming you were a late orderer and got
one not in-bud), YOU may not think it's large enough to bloom, and for your
culture it might not be. In that situation, I might let the tone of the
claim request influence my decision on response... (It's remarkable how
"Are you SURE it's flowering size?" elicits a different response than "You
lying *******!")

It is important to provide as accurate a description as possible in the
list. In this situation, I'd state clearly that 40% of the plants are
in-bud or spike, are in X" pots and are approximately "this size." If you
then complain about the size, I will point out that the plant clearly
matches the description, and ask for a return in order to issue a credit,
and if the condition of the return is not as it was when I sent it, I may
refuse to issue the full refund.

I go to great pains to wrap plants for shipment, but I remember a situation
in which a guy decided - once the plants arrived - that they weren't right
for his conditions. No problem, return them for a refund. They were
dropped in the box - unwrapped - and a bunch of newspaper smashed down on
top of them. They arrived unpotted, untagged and broken. Refund? I don't
think so...

I once had a guy email me that he was very disappointed with the plants he
got from me, as they were totally infested with insects. I explained how
surprised I was, as I had not seen any infestation in my greenhouse in a
very long time. When I looked up his order, it turns out to have happened
in late summer, some 8 months prior, and I suggested that a lot could have
happened in that time frame unrelated to the original, as-shipped condition.
I never heard back.

Old 14-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Diana Kulaga

This has been an interesting discussion, right out of a Customer Service
seminar I wrote. All the attitudes are the the vendors who want to make
things right but are wary of the scam artists (anyone hear of Wendy's
lately??); customers who would rather tell anyone rather than the vendor of
their satisfaction, thus guaranteeing bad outcomes for both themselves and
the vendor; customers who are overly aggressive in their complaints; and the
occasional vendor who doesn't care bat s**t about what the customer thinks.
That last type is a tiny minority of all vendors, in and outside the orchid
community. Most business people understand that a speedy and good response
to a legitimate complaint can change an irate customer into a customer for
life.

I do not order from you, Kenni, because you are "jest down the road a piece"
and I see you all the time. Ray, never have I been disappointed with a
shipment. I do remember an order that I placed a few years ago, from a major
and well recognized orchid vendor (no names!). The plants were listed as
blooming size. Hah! They are still in the nursery, after about 3 years. They
are growing with the former residents of a compot that I bought around the
same time. I suspect they will all bloom out at the same time, in probably
another year. I blamed myself, because the prices were unrealistically low
for BS plants.

To close, it's not always the big bad businesses that are to blame; it's
often the customer who has overly high expectations or worse. I once had a
bank manager come in to speak to a seminar I was conducting. She told of a
customer who insisted that he didn't know there would be a charge if he
overdrew his checking account. She told him, "We'll take care of the fee
THIS TIME, and I'll make a note of our conversation here in the remarks
section of your account." No more problems with that one!

Diana

Old 15-05-2005, 05:10 AM

I enjoyed reading the above posts and can see "above and beyond the
call of duty" on the vendor's part and poor judgement in the buyer's
part as in the newspaper incident. I've ordered a little off of ebay in
the past and could tell when an order was carefully packaged. (I liked
seeing the exact plant I was getting) What nobody's mentioned though is
maybe putting care instructions in with the order ......Burr

Old 15-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Ray

Putting care instructions in with plants can be as harmful as helpful
because folks' growing conditions vary so greatly.

For example, in my warm, breezy greenhouse, plants dry out pretty rapidly,
so I water frequently. If I was to recommend that to others with different
conditions, I could be telling them to rot their roots!

I have the generalized, middle-of-the-road AOS culture sheets posted on my
website, so folks can always read- or download them, as they see fit, but
the buyer has to realize that to be a successful orchid grower, he must
analyze his own conditions and take the steps necessary to make them right
for his plants. AND...he should buy plants suited to those conditions.

Occasionally I'll get an order from someone I suspect is an inexperienced
grower, and I'll quiz them about their selection before filling the order.
Occasionally I end up canceling it altogether, but I'd rather do that than
let the customer spend lots of cash and be disappointed. More than once
those individuals ended up going to H-D or Lowes, buy a plant, kill it and
come back to me for advice... Ultimately I gain them as a customer anyway,
and I really fight the urge to say "I told you so."

Old 16-05-2005, 12:10 AM

Point well taken, I completely understand what your saying. Sometimes
when you read instructions it says to water like every 7 to 10 days.
Well it really depends on how fast the plant dries out. You could tell
people the basics like what growing medium to use (not dirt!) and to
poor off the excess water and such. I really needed this when I got my
first orchid. Burr

Old 16-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Ray

Ah! But it was your FIRST orchid! (and you didn't know anything back then)

Telling someone what medium to use is just as bad. Diatomite is a great
medium for some. For me, in my greenhouse, it's the kiss of death. I
"manage" with sphagnum, while others find it to be the kiss of death, and
another group finds it "ideal."

Sorry, Burr. No matter what, I believe that you should 1) analyze your own,
unique situation, and make a decision based upon that, and 2) consult with
locals who may have conditions much closer to yours than the online vendor
who happens to live (and grow his plants) in the ideal paradise of...