Old 30-03-2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Broken record water lily question

humBill wrote:

They should be butted against the pot, at kinda sorta 30 degrees or so,

Please don't top-post, it makes having a conversation difficult.

growing end towards the middle and not covered up, clay type soil.

That's really for lotuses. Lilies don't all have a "growing end". They
grow from any crown, which might be at an end, or in the middle.

The most vital thing to know about lilies is that the growing crown _must_
be above the soil surface. If you plant a lily and it does nothing all
year, it's almost guaranteed that you planted it too deep.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 30-03-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
ideally if you can plant them in your pond on a shelf so the roots can
extend throughout he pond and become a natural filter for the
sediment. if you must put it in a pot then place it a bit deeper in
the pond. dont know much about canadian springs but do know lilies
are pretty hardy no matter where you put them

==========================
I don't know where you live but water lilies can become a serious pest in
soil bottom ponds here in TN. They will take them over covering the water
surface completely.

This is a problem? I routinely have to break down and just compost a plant
or two. Essentially, if the lilies are sprouting aerial leaves like a
lotus, you have too many!

Old 30-03-2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
ideally if you can plant them in your pond on a shelf so the roots can
extend throughout he pond and become a natural filter for the
sediment. if you must put it in a pot then place it a bit deeper in
the pond. dont know much about canadian springs but do know lilies
are pretty hardy no matter where you put them

==========================
I don't know where you live but water lilies can become a serious pest in
soil bottom ponds here in TN. They will take them over covering the
water
surface completely.

This is a problem?

To some people yes. They want to see their ornamental fish, go fishing,
swimming or maybe take the rowboat out for awhile. When the pond is
completely full of water lilies they say they can't use the pond to enjoy.

I routinely have to break down and just compost a plant
or two. Essentially, if the lilies are sprouting aerial leaves like a
lotus, you have too many!

I keep mine in pots and have given away many over the years, when I divide
them. There's no problem with them taking over my ponds. :-)

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-03-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 29, 11:10 am, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

florida and they grow rapid here too but the technique i use with the
rocks allow theplant to survive the koi assult but beyong the
peremeter the roots are exposed and the koi control the spread.

==============================
I understand. But you have a liner pond. If they jumped the pots they'd be
easy to remove as they are in my lined ponds. Some ponds here in TN that
are covered in waterlily leaves are soil bottom ponds where the lilies took
over. I know one has no fish (the woman said).... the other two, I don't
know. My lilies are all in pots either on shelves or on milk crates.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-03-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

well anyone ever has any plants going to compost is more than welcome
to let me know...I'll pay to have them shipped as long as they cross
the border ok.

Elaine
Always want more plants

Old 30-03-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

most of the time when reading the messages we know what the converstation is
about. there is no need to re-read others messages not to mention that
because they are embedded are almost impossible to know who said what
anyway. those few who cant remember what the topic is about CAN scroll down
lower to refresh memory. and when top posting their will be a neat column
of newer messages at the top going down to oldest messages at the bottom but
they will be complete and from one person each message, not embedded.

is this a male vs female thing? I am just wondering. Ingrid

Old 30-03-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:10:39 CST, "drsolo" wrote:

most of the time when reading the messages we know what the converstation is
about. there is no need to re-read others messages not to mention that
because they are embedded are almost impossible to know who said what
anyway. those few who cant remember what the topic is about CAN scroll down
lower to refresh memory. and when top posting their will be a neat column
of newer messages at the top going down to oldest messages at the bottom but
they will be complete and from one person each message, not embedded.

is this a male vs female thing? I am just wondering. Ingrid

IMHO, I don't care how people post, up, down, in the middle. Snipping is
nice, but I can manage. I'm just happy to see people post on ponds and
happy to be able to post on ponds.... (except on this post on how to post
about ponds). ;-) I think top or bottom posting ... some like it hot some
like it cold?

Course I'm posting using agent, and it color codes, so old stuff is blue
and new stuff is black. Makes it easy to find the new stuff. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 30-03-2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 29, 7:15 pm, Derek Broughton wrote:
humBill wrote:
They should be butted against the pot, at kinda sorta 30 degrees or so,

Please don't top-post, it makes having a conversation difficult.

Personally I don't agree, but I will not repost again on this OT
subject. I find it a bit more trouble to have to scroll through
previous parts of the thread. Apparently google does to as they used
to offer the option to not repost the previous message at all. Now
they seem to condense to only the last message or two. I am trying to
be minimally humorous and not smart alec but why do emails top post
and news bottom post? Do emailers have a longer rate of retention??
All that being said I do recall NetMax once mentioning back in
rec.freshwater.. that bottom posting was the norm in ng's so I WILL
try to remember to bottom post or what I most often prefer to do is, I
guess you would call, middle post - answering within the previous post
if there is more than one item I am referring to.

Especially having taken on the responsibility as a moderator, I know
you are just trying to be helpful - so as I say I will try not to
forget.
Thanks
Bill Brister

Old 30-03-2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I wasnt aware that there was any difference in email vs newsgoup in terms of
where they post. it all started out with bunches of scientists
communicating and maybe the time between posts was such that they needed to
reread everything before answering. It makes sense to bottom post if you
cant remember the thread of what people have said. Well.... I do have the
option of just deleting long posts rather than scrolling all the way down to
the bottom. maybe my reader doesnt show enough of the message in the first
place. the fields are dividing up into newsgroups on left, then message
thread on top, individual messages below. most posts are very narrow in
text field width too. ah well. Ingrid

Old 31-03-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:43:50 CST, ~ jan
wrote:

I'm just happy to see people post on ponds and
happy to be able to post on ponds.... (except on this post on how to post
about ponds). ;-) I think top or bottom posting ... some like it hot some
like it cold?

Ditto! I do appreciate a bit of trimming the distractions though.

Regards,

Hal

Old 02-04-2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

humBill wrote:
They should be butted against the pot, at kinda sorta 30 degrees or so,

Please don't top-post, it makes having a conversation difficult.

Personally I don't agree, but I will not repost again on this OT
subject.

It only works on web forums, or for people who read little enough Usenet to
remember every thread. I read 1000 or more posts a day. A little context
is good.

I find it a bit more trouble to have to scroll through
previous parts of the thread.

I didn't suggest bottom posting either. One should reply in context and
trim everything that isn't necessary.

I am trying to
be minimally humorous and not smart alec but why do emails top post
and news bottom post?

They don't. Most programs for either put the insertion point at the top.
Putting it at the bottom would just encourage people to include everything,
too.

However, in many business situations email is always top posted, and no
trimming is done. This is the equivalent of business snail mail, where all
prior correspondence is paper-clipped to the back of your new letter.

...what I most often prefer to do is, I
guess you would call, middle post - answering within the previous post
if there is more than one item I am referring to.

That's the best way.

Especially having taken on the responsibility as a moderator, I know
you are just trying to be helpful - so as I say I will try not to
forget.

Please note the .sig! I asked only for myself.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

humBill wrote:

Especially having taken on the responsibility as a moderator, I know
you are just trying to be helpful - so as I say I will try not to
forget.

Please note the .sig! I asked only for myself.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated
moderators.

Yes, I did see the sig. I just mentioned this because online post are
sometimes very difficult to discern the 'tone of voice' that one is
using - are they being bossy or helpful? My assumption is your are
being helpful, if you give of your time to be a moderator as well.
And yes the ' include snip for point of reference' does make good
sense. Thank you!!
Bill

Rate This Thread: