Old 29-03-2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Broken record water lily question

OK....this has been asked many times but since it is a new group and I
can't remember what I had for breakfast I will ask it again.

I have two hardy lily tubers with leaves coming to me.

What is the best way to plant these ?
I have had no luck with tubers. Also can I put them in the pond even
though the water is still in Canadian spring mode ?

Thanks !!

Old 29-03-2007, 05:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

They should be butted against the pot, at kinda sorta 30 degrees or so,
growing end towards the middle and not covered up, clay type soil. Others
more toward your area can probably tell you about appropriate water temps.
I know they can withstand low temps when they are acclimated but not sure
about shocking a new plant. HTH
Bill

.com...

Old 29-03-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"©anadian Ponder" " wrote in message
.com...
OK....this has been asked many times but since it is a new group and I
can't remember what I had for breakfast I will ask it again.

I have two hardy lily tubers with leaves coming to me.

What is the best way to plant these ?
I have had no luck with tubers. Also can I put them in the pond even
though the water is still in Canadian spring mode ?

=============================
I plant them in those black plastic pond baskets lined with old pillow
cases. I fill the pot with soil and put the tuber, cut end against one
side. This is done so the lily can grow across the pot. Then I add about 2
inches of medium size gravel to keep them from digging in the pots. I also
add 1/2 (give or take) of a Jobe's Rose fertilizer spike. Push it down into
the soil.

Goldfish don't root around the lily much but some koi will. I've had koi
root them right out of their pots. Don't let the tuber or growing tip
freeze.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-03-2007, 07:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:47:40 CST, "humBill" wrote:

They should be butted against the pot, at kinda sorta 30 degrees or so,
growing end towards the middle and not covered up, clay type soil. Others
more toward your area can probably tell you about appropriate water temps.
I know they can withstand low temps when they are acclimated but not sure
about shocking a new plant. HTH
Bill

I agree, except the soil doesn't have to be clay. Mine do great in my sandy
soil.... though I do fertilize often (about once/month).

I use baskets, the cheaper utility type that look like mini laundry
baskets, lined with weed cloth. After I've added dirt, adjusted the tuber
as Bill mentioned, I put strips of weed cloth on top of the dirt and then
my rocks. This keeps the rocks from shifting thru the sand to the bottom of
the basket, I don't have to use as many rocks, and best of all, when I put
the basket in the water, very little floats/escapes into the water. You
must use thin strips, running in the same direction the plant is going to
grow.

Canadian Ponder, you now have some homework. It is your job to surf the
internet and find the best website with pictures. Post site here. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 29-03-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thank you©anadian Ponder wrote:
OK....this has been asked many times but since it is a new group and I
can't remember what I had for breakfast I will ask it again.

I have two hardy lily tubers with leaves coming to me.

What is the best way to plant these ?
I have had no luck with tubers. Also can I put them in the pond even
though the water is still in Canadian spring mode ?

Thanks !!

Thank you all !!!!

Can you even but clay soil ?

Old 29-03-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 28, 10:07 pm, ©anadian Ponder " wrote:
OK....this has been asked many times but since it is a new group and I
can't remember what I had for breakfast I will ask it again.

I have two hardy lily tubers with leaves coming to me.

What is the best way to plant these ?
I have had no luck with tubers. Also can I put them in thepondeven
though the water is still in Canadian spring mode ?

Thanks !!

ideally if you can plant them in your pond on a shelf so the roots can
extend throughout he pond and become a natural filter for the
sediment. if you must put it in a pot then place it a bit deeper in
the pond. dont know much about canadian springs but do know lilies
are pretty hardy no matter where you put them
Pete
http://www.relaxingdecor.com

Old 29-03-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 29, 12:11 am, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:
"©anadian Ponder" " wrote in nowhere.com... OK....this has been asked many times but since it is a new group and I
[...]

i have found that when planting lilies or any aquatic planst for that
matter that placing a perimeter of large rocks around the base of the
plant makes it nearly impossible for koi to get to the roots.

Old 29-03-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In the frozen tundra you need to put these into a solid pot with a hanger, a
cord and a bobber attacked to the hanger.
Fill with loam or clay.
Submerge the pot of soil in warm water and let it sit for an hour or more
until the soil is soft.
take the cutting and clean off anything looks rotten. find the growing
point, that will point towards the center of the pond. fan the roots out
and grasp the whole from the top and gently push the entire cutting down
into the soft mud near one side with the growing tip pointed towards the
center. now pull the growing point and tuber itself up above the level of
the mud. the roots should be under the mud, the tuber and growing point
should stand "proud" above.
push 2 fertilizer tabs down into the mud somewhat away from the roots.
for GF, cover the top with good sized pea gravel. For koi get river rocks.
place these on the mud and infill with pea gravel.
koi that are fed high protein/high fat quality type koi food wont ravage the
water lily pot.
lift the pot out of the now dirty water. refill the tub with warm water and
gently lower the pot letting the water gently rinse the worst of the mud off
the top.
lower the pot gently into your pond in a spot that is no than 18 inches
deep. in cold northern climates the sun warms the top layer and lilies like
it warm so keep it as close to the surface as possible. My pots are 12
inches below the surface.
in winter the pots must be lowered below the level of the ice, so cord and
bobber makes it easy to find them and haul them up in spring.
Ingrid

Old 29-03-2007, 05:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 29, 12:11 am, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:
[...]

==============================
That crossed my mind but I though the lily may not be able to root over
larger rocks, which we have here in great abundance (limestone). Do your
lilies root over them without a problem? Are you using those about the size
of eggs called "eggrock" from places like Lowe's? Larger?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-03-2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
oups.com...
ideally if you can plant them in your pond on a shelf so the roots can
extend throughout he pond and become a natural filter for the
sediment. if you must put it in a pot then place it a bit deeper in
the pond. dont know much about canadian springs but do know lilies
are pretty hardy no matter where you put them

==========================
I don't know where you live but water lilies can become a serious pest in
soil bottom ponds here in TN. They will take them over covering the water
surface completely.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-03-2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:10:00 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

I don't know where you live but water lilies can become a serious pest in
soil bottom ponds here in TN. They will take them over covering the water
surface completely.

Will they choke out duckweed? At least lilies bloom, I've never seen
duckweed do that.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Illiterate? Write for FREE help

Old 29-03-2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I don't know where you live but water lilies can become a serious pest in
soil bottom ponds here in TN. They will take them over covering the water
surface completely.

Will they choke out duckweed? At least lilies bloom, I've never seen
duckweed do that.

============================
Whatever duckweed survived would have to utilize the small spaces between
the lily leaves. I would think any fish in some of the ponds I've seen
would smother.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-03-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 29, 11:10 am, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... ideally if you can plant them in yourpondon a shelf so the roots can
extend throughout hepondand become a natural filter for the
sediment. if you must put it in a pot then place it a bit deeper in
thepond. dont know much about canadian springs but do know lilies
are pretty hardy no matter where you put them

==========================
I don't know where you live but water lilies can become a serious pest in
soil bottom ponds here in TN. They will take them over covering the water
surface completely.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
MyPond& Aquarium Pages:http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
ISP: Hughes.net
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

florida and they grow rapid here too but the technique i use with the
rocks allow theplant to survive the koi assult but beyong the
peremeter the roots are exposed and the koi control the spread.

Old 29-03-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 29, 11:09 am, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 29, 12:11 am, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:
[...]

well i am refering to artifical liner ponds in which you actually make
depretions on your shelf and fill them with soil. the rock is just a
barrier so koi cant get to them. that said we are in florida and its
pretty much limestone everywhere and in natural habitat lillies can
grow and in some instances be invasive.
Pete
http://www.relaxingdecor.com

Old 30-03-2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

©anadian Ponder wrote:

OK....this has been asked many times but since it is a new group and I
can't remember what I had for breakfast I will ask it again.

I have two hardy lily tubers with leaves coming to me.

What is the best way to plant these ?

Well, my personal preference is to tie them to a rock...

Bare-root has always worked very well for me.

I have had no luck with tubers. Also can I put them in the pond even
though the water is still in Canadian spring mode ?

I think it's still a little early in most of Canada. Whatever you do,
you're likely to lose _these_ leaves, but if you're past the likelihood of
ice on your pond they should survive.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Rate This Thread: