Old 29-05-2007, 05:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

In article .com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

The silicone would work fine, like a gasket, if it has compression.
With plastic flex, it is likely to come loose from its bond.

Jim

But the silicone is designed to be adhesive. I know that cheaper
silicone window seal is easy to peel, but the quality stuff sticks
pretty well. Aquarium sealer is designed for pressure on the glass (from
the inside, too).

Old 29-05-2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

But the silicone is designed to be adhesive.

Good point. Our aquaria have the silicone holding well on glass.
Indeed, we have had to shave it off to clear the glass!

We have not had as good a result with plastics. They have to be
really clean and the bond really good. I wouldn't want to run with it
without compression to hold things steady.

Maybe someone can get with a manufacturer to talk about bonding and
flex.

Jim

Old 29-05-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

But the silicone is designed to be adhesive.

Good point. Our aquaria have the silicone holding well on glass.
Indeed, we have had to shave it off to clear the glass!

Silicone is a really odd adhesive. If you ever read the package or tube,
you'll see "not to be used below the waterline". It isn't a very strong
adhesive, and it functions _really_ poorly when wet. The interior of the
glass join in an aquarium _isn't_ wet - but if you somehow allow water in
there, the joint failure can be catastrophic.

We have not had as good a result with plastics. They have to be
really clean and the bond really good. I wouldn't want to run with it
without compression to hold things steady.

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 30-05-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

But the silicone is designed to be adhesive.

Good point. Our aquaria have the silicone holding well on glass.
Indeed, we have had to shave it off to clear the glass!

Silicone is a really odd adhesive. If you ever read the package or tube,
you'll see "not to be used below the waterline". It isn't a very strong
adhesive, and it functions _really_ poorly when wet. The interior of the
glass join in an aquarium _isn't_ wet - but if you somehow allow water in
there, the joint failure can be catastrophic.

We have not had as good a result with plastics. They have to be
really clean and the bond really good. I wouldn't want to run with it
without compression to hold things steady.

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.

Hmm.. so then I'm still left with a glue dilemma.. only thing I can still
think of is a goop/shoe goo "sleeve" on the inlet 1" pvc pipe, and then shoe
goo applied both inside and out as well.

UV seems to be doing OK so far, but without being able to remove the
suspended particles, visibility still sucks.

Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 30-05-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 30 May 2007 06:37:27 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.

Hmm.. so then I'm still left with a glue dilemma.. only thing I can still
think of is a goop/shoe goo "sleeve" on the inlet 1" pvc pipe, and then shoe
goo applied both inside and out as well.

Bulkhead fitting with flange on both sides of the
bulkhead/liner/container wall. Insert silicon seal allow to cure,
then tighten, or compress the silicon seal.

May be more expensive, but it will save time and energy.

Regards,

Hal

Old 30-05-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.

Hmm.. so then I'm still left with a glue dilemma.. only thing I can still
think of is a goop/shoe goo "sleeve" on the inlet 1" pvc pipe, and then
shoe
goo applied both inside and out as well.

Bulkhead fitting with flange on both sides of the
bulkhead/liner/container wall. Insert silicon seal allow to cure,
then tighten, or compress the silicon seal.

May be more expensive, but it will save time and energy.

Not sure where I'd get the parts for this..they don;t really have a lot for
this type of setup in the local Lowe's, keeping in mind this is for either
3/4 inch or 1" pvc pipe.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 31-05-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Bulkhead fitting with flange on both sides of the
bulkhead/liner/container wall. Insert silicon seal allow to cure,
then tighten, or compress the silicon seal.

May be more expensive, but it will save time and energy.

Not sure where I'd get the parts for this..they don;t really have a lot
for this type of setup in the local Lowe's, keeping in mind this is for
either 3/4 inch or 1" pvc pipe.

Hi Gary - Hal is right - Bulkhead fittings are the answer, for any thickness
of plastic or rubber, just make sure you tighten it - I use it on 45 gal
plastic barrels for bio-filters - no leaks - they come from 3/8" up to 2"
and maybe larger - go to a farm supply store that has supplies for sprayers
for fields - up here in Canada a 2" fitting is about $15 Can - smaller ones
are less - I would never use pvc fittings and any kind of glue - Bulkheads
around here are used on up to 5000 gal (and maybe larger) tanks with no
problem - my filter has been running for 12 yrs - no leaks
Gale :~)

Old 31-05-2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"G Pearce" wrote in message

Hi Gary - Hal is right - Bulkhead fittings are the answer, for any
thickness of plastic or rubber, just make sure you tighten it - I use it
on 45 gal plastic barrels for bio-filters - no leaks - they come from 3/8"
up to 2" and maybe larger - go to a farm supply store that has supplies
for sprayers for fields - up here in Canada a 2" fitting is about $15
Can - smaller ones are less - I would never use pvc fittings and any kind
of glue - Bulkheads around here are used on up to 5000 gal (and maybe
larger) tanks with no problem - my filter has been running for 12 yrs - no
leaks

Ok, so bulkhead fittings are metal? I have a farm supply store here,
(fortunately).. are they also available at Lowe's? I did something similar
with the toilet flanges.. I attached them from the inside, and used the
regualr wax seals for them. I added long bolts, and used LARGE washers on
each side, tighten down,. with silicon between them and the rubbermaid to
add just a little more seal to them. Those look to be working great.

I'll see if I can find the bulkhead fittings tomorrow if possible. If they
are heavy, might that be an issue for the plastic to support?

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 31-05-2007, 10:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

I entered bulkhead fitting and got 454,000 hits. This one might even be
what you're looking for; http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm.

Bulkhead fittings are usually made of various plastics and can be found
on-line or at swimming pool suppliers and some specialty plumbing supply
shops.

Old 31-05-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.

Hmm.. so then I'm still left with a glue dilemma.. only thing I can still
think of is a goop/shoe goo "sleeve" on the inlet 1" pvc pipe, and then
shoe
goo applied both inside and out as well.

Bulkhead fitting with flange on both sides of the
bulkhead/liner/container wall. Insert silicon seal allow to cure,
then tighten, or compress the silicon seal.

May be more expensive, but it will save time and energy.

Not sure where I'd get the parts for this..they don;t really have a lot
for this type of setup in the local Lowe's, keeping in mind this is for
either 3/4 inch or 1" pvc pipe.

"Bulkhead" fittings are exactly what they sound like - fittings for
providing a seal through marine bulkheads. So you get them from places
that sell parts for boats.

Old 31-05-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ok, so bulkhead fittings are metal? I have a farm supply store here,
(fortunately).. are they also available at Lowe's? I did something similar
with the toilet flanges.. I attached them from the inside, and used the
regualr wax seals for them. I added long bolts, and used LARGE washers on
each side, tighten down,. with silicon between them and the rubbermaid to
add just a little more seal to them. Those look to be working great.

I'll see if I can find the bulkhead fittings tomorrow if possible. If they
are heavy, might that be an issue for the plastic to support?

The ones I use are plastic - I don't think Lowes would carry them as they
are used mainly for industrial applications, not home repair
No they aren't heavy, no extra support required. I used them on a square
Rubbermaid container for a bio-filter for a small pond for a customer (3/4"
inlet and 2" return fitting). The container was a square ~ 28"X20" and 24"
deep - the ones they have in Walmart (blue)
Gale :~)

Old 31-05-2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"G Pearce" wrote in message

[...]

An Improvised PVC Bulkhead Fitting for Liquid Storage Tanks
http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm
"...plastic electrical conduit fittings are the secret ingredient to
improvising a bulkhead fitting."

Rubbermaid Commercial Products
5050-12 Stock Tank Drain Plug Kit , $20.40
http://tinyurl.com/2l542w

http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/pr...egoryID_rcpNum
=507_5050-12&categoryID_subcategoryID_rcpNum=507_555_5050-12

Old 01-06-2007, 05:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Doug Brown" wrote in message
This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

True, but as you just said, you got TONS of hits.. and after trying about 8
different ways to attach fitting to the rubbermaid, I don;t want to screw it
up, and I don't want to deal with leaks and tearing the whole thing apart a
week from now.

It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with specs,
part numbers and order info.

I went through similar issues last year building the smaller filter, and not
once was adding a bulkhead even mentioned.

After seeing th epics the last poster posted of what they look like, it all
makes good sense now, and looks doable. With any luck, the local farm supply
store will have them. otherwise, I'll have to order parts over the web.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 01-06-2007, 09:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 28 May 2007 14:16:18 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

I could use shoo goo (by the Goop people, and put a very generous amount on
both the interior and exterior. another thought, was to put it first on the
pvc pipe itself, so there's already a rubber "gasket" around it, and then
use it ac I described above.. I'd think the goop then would bond well to
itself.

DS said he roughed up the surface of the Rubbermaid before applying. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-06-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gareee© wrote:

Doug Brown" wrote in message
This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

True, but as you just said, you got TONS of hits.. and after trying about
8 different ways to attach fitting to the rubbermaid, I don;t want to
screw it up, and I don't want to deal with leaks and tearing the whole
thing apart a week from now.

It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with specs,
part numbers and order info.

There isn't? Too bad, I know there used to be some (OK, perhaps not so far
as "order info" but with specific part availability).
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated
moderators.

Rate This Thread: