Old 27-11-2008, 04:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default goldfish house with observation feature

I have a quite shallow pond (18" or so) in north London, u.k. . I built a
substantial little house out of bricks for the gold fish to hide under. It's
complete with a ventilator type grill on the roof. (the kind you put in the
wall of your house just above ground level to assist air flow around the
foundations) The purpose of this was to enable the fish to see out from
their house.

The other day a heron flew in (we chased him off several times) and he ate
them all, when we weren't looking.

Somehow I've never liked nets over the pond, and would prefer to build a
good house for the fish; preferably so they can see danger coming. I
beginning to think maybe some fine mesh type chicken wire, so they can get a
good look around, but be safe under it?

Would anyone have any ideas on how to design something suitable please? Or
are the fish just too dozy and inattentive and really the whole pond has to
be covered ? Thanks for any advice.

Old 28-11-2008, 03:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:25:10 EST, "john zeiss"
wrote:

[...]

Now that the heron has dined at your pond, it will have all the patience in
the world to wait for a fish to poke its nose out of whatever hiding place.
Better would have been a place where the heron couldn't see the fish
hiding.... but for now, a net will be needed if you get more fish. Next
spring you can install a motion activated sprinkler and remove the net.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-11-2008, 11:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi John
Herons don't like any form of physical barrier. Try potted plants around the
pond. I use grasses in 15" pots. They kinda blend with the
pond........evergreen........low maintenance. I'm sorry for your loss of
fish.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 29-11-2008, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi John
Herons don't like any form of physical barrier. Try potted plants around
the pond. I use grasses in 15" pots. They kinda blend with the
pond........evergreen........low maintenance. I'm sorry for your loss of

fish.

A determined heron will penetrate almost anything - I cannot see potted
plants working at all round here !

Netting stands the best chance IMHO.

However I am interested in this suggestion from Jan

" Next
spring you can install a motion activated sprinkler and remove the net."

Could he please expand. - Many thanks

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 29-11-2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pete Stockdale wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi John
Herons don't like any form of physical barrier. Try potted plants
around the pond. I use grasses in 15" pots. They kinda blend with the
pond........evergreen........low maintenance. I'm sorry for your
loss of

fish.

A determined heron will penetrate almost anything - I cannot see
potted plants working at all round here !

Netting stands the best chance IMHO.

However I am interested in this suggestion from Jan

" Next
spring you can install a motion activated sprinkler and remove the
net."
Could he please expand. - Many thanks

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Something like this................?
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/DVSCAR.htm
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 29-11-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:44:50 EST, "Pete C" wrote:

Something like this................?
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/DVSCAR.htm

That's it, Scarecrow, not Heron Scarer. blush ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 29-11-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:17:25 EST, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

However I am interested in this suggestion from Jan

" Next
spring you can install a motion activated sprinkler and remove the net."

Could he please expand. - Many thanks
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

A picture/video is worth a thousand words:

http://www.break.com/index/motion-ac...s-pigeons.html

I use a wider swath, and sensitivity can be adjusted (even that little bird
could have set mine off if I had the sensitivity all the way up,
unfortunately wind blowing plants also sets it off at the higher
sensitivity). ;-) The brand I have is called a heron scarer, course one
still needs cover in the winter when the water is off. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 30-11-2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"john zeiss" wrote in message
[...]

================================

After years of battling herons and trying everything in the book we final
ly
netted the ponds. Birds are a lot more intelligent than fish and will cl
ean
out your pond every time. My fish had things to hide under also. The her
ons
still got them.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-11-2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi John
Herons don't like any form of physical barrier. Try potted plants arou

nd
the pond. I use grasses in 15" pots. They kinda blend with the
pond........evergreen........low maintenance. I'm sorry for your loss

of

fish.

A determined heron will penetrate almost anything - I cannot see potted

plants working at all round here !

Netting stands the best chance IMHO.

However I am interested in this suggestion from Jan

" Next
spring you can install a motion activated sprinkler and remove the net.

"

Could he please expand. - Many thanks

========================
Make sure if you get one of these you don't use a hose that can split und
er
pressure. You may come home from work to find your yard flooded and a wat
er
bill to put you in the poorhouse.... or the doghouse for awhile. ;-)

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-11-2008, 10:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"ReelMcKoi" wrote in message

========
Make sure if you get one of these you don't use a hose that can split und
er
pressure. You may come home from work to find your yard flooded and a wat
er
bill to put you in the poorhouse.... or the doghouse for awhile. ;-)

No problem with pressure hose round here - I already run at three times
mains pressure in the greenhouse.
Any heron would be in for a wet time.
Still waiting for the "gun" details from Jan though.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 01-12-2008, 12:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pete Stockdale wrote:
"ReelMcKoi" wrote in message

========
Make sure if you get one of these you don't use a hose that can split
und er
pressure. You may come home from work to find your yard flooded and a
wat er
bill to put you in the poorhouse.... or the doghouse for awhile. ;-)

No problem with pressure hose round here - I already run at three
times mains pressure in the greenhouse.
Any heron would be in for a wet time.
Still waiting for the "gun" details from Jan though.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

You gonna replace the water with a 12 bore?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 01-12-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Pete C" wrote in message

No problem with pressure hose round here - I already run at three
times mains pressure in the greenhouse.
Any heron would be in for a wet time.
Still waiting for the "gun" details from Jan though.

You gonna replace the water with a 12 bore?

--

No bore size would probably be nearer .410 (four-ten) !

I have now found it in the catalogue.

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/pub...ard/dvscar.jpg

Just need a bit of advice before considering a purchase from a previous
user.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 07-12-2008, 01:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

No problem with pressure hose round here - I already run at three times
mains pressure in the greenhouse.
Any heron would be in for a wet time.
Still waiting for the "gun" details from Jan though.

I sent this prior to RM's answer, but perhaps you missed it... or it went
off into cyberspace:

A picture/video is worth a thousand words:

http://www.break.com/index/motion-ac...s-pigeons.html

I use a wider swath, and sensitivity can be adjusted (even that little bird
could have set mine off if I had the sensitivity all the way up,
unfortunately wind blowing plants also sets it off at the higher
sensitivity). ;-) The brand I have is called a Scare Crow just like the
picture of the website you have, course one still needs cover (screen/net)
in the winter when the water is off. ~ jan

PS. Never had a problem with a hose popping, though we eventually hard
piped them with pvc so as not to tie up the hose or have it going across
the grass.

PSS: Raccoons get use to them or continue to test them till the batteries
run out or someone forgets to set it. So if you have them and they've fed
at your pond.... HOT WIRE. Raccoons will also TEAR nets to get fish, as
recently reported by a local ponder. Thus, if that is the problem, use
strong netting or screen if one doesn't want to hot wire.
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

[...]

Thanks for that. At least I should not be troubled with raccoons here in UK.
I am still not convinced that I could position one to cover all appearances
of the heron.
A photo of my pond is at ---

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...ys04032006.jpg

If I put one at one end - the thing could attack from behind or round the
side I reckon.

In your video the bird conveniently appears in the same place. Bit silly
really !

Convince me, or it is back to the (yet to be built) wire mesh frames idea
AYR.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 14-12-2008, 11:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:33:30 EST, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

Hi

Thanks for that. At least I should not be troubled with raccoons here in UK.
I am still not convinced that I could position one to cover all appearances
of the heron.
A photo of my pond is at ---

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...ys04032006.jpg

If I put one at one end - the thing could attack from behind or round the
side I reckon.

In your video the bird conveniently appears in the same place. Bit silly
really !

Convince me, or it is back to the (yet to be built) wire mesh frames idea
AYR.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

See my pond at my website below, it completely covers both the koi pond and
lily pond (separate areas, separate sprinklers), the area sprayed is
adjustable, just like regular Rainbird sprinklers, so the swath it patrols
is up to your discretion. As far as the vision of the sensor, I have mine
about 10 feet back from the middle of the koi ponds, nothing is safe
approaching from the sides or approaching from the far side. The stream and
distance it shoots is also adjustable. How wide is your pond? ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: