Old 08-02-2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

Default How fast do tadpoles grow?

About a month ago I had a bulldozer and front end loader come in and scoop
out a big hole in the ground. Actually, the thing looked like it had been
a pond before, in that it was fairly deep and full of water. But someone
had turned it in to a junk pile, with a bunch of willows and weeds growing
around the outside and the inside filled with junk. Mostly the junk was
dead branches and brush, but there were things in there like an old chair
or two, an old bar-b-que grill, a metal desk, other well, uh, junk.
Anyway, all that is gone and now I have a pretty bare 40' in diameter 5'
deep mud puddle. I think the pond might be below the local water table
because as soon as I quit pumping the water out, it filled back up to about
5' deep. The guy who cleaned out the pond told me to get some rye grass
seed because it would sprout real fast, covering up the bare places and
helping control any possible erosion. The store I went to was out of rye
grass seed but the salesclerk sold me some other seed he said would work
just as well. I must have screwed up and made the clerk think I wanted
seed that absolutely would *not* sprout, because that is exactly what I
got. But that's another story.

Some two weeks ago I was out fussing around the pond and noticed about 4
big clumps of frog eggs. I thought that was a little fast, but just
figured I didn't know hardly as much as I thought I did about frogs. Then
today I was out fussing again and saw what looked like a ping-pong ball
with a tail. I couldn't exactly place what it was, so I grabbed a stick
and poked at it. It blinked at me, then lazily swam away. There are
oodles of small tadpoles in the water, but this thing was far, far bigger
than any of them. It didn't have any legs or anything either. I couldn't
imagine anything surviving the bulldozer and front end loader and having
the water pumped out of the pond, but then again I can't imagine this
tadpole growing in just a month. So how fast do these things grow, or was
this most likely a (very lucky) survivor?

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of the future
Old 08-02-2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:55:33 -0500, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:
[...]

Just what does all that crap above have to do with tadpoles? So now
your pond ois 5 feet buty a month ago it was like 3 feet..Please make
up your mind how deep your pond is...I seriously doubt yu were sold
seed that would not germinate, your just not smart enough to sow it
correctly form the sounds of it.

Some two weeks ago I was out fussing around the pond and noticed about 4
big clumps of frog eggs. I thought that was a little fast, but just
figured I didn't know hardly as much as I thought I did about frogs. Then
today I was out fussing again and saw what looked like a ping-pong ball
with a tail. I couldn't exactly place what it was, so I grabbed a stick
and poked at it. It blinked at me, then lazily swam away. There are
oodles of small tadpoles in the water, but this thing was far, far bigger
than any of them. It didn't have any legs or anything either. I couldn't
imagine anything surviving the bulldozer and front end loader and having
the water pumped out of the pond, but then again I can't imagine this
tadpole growing in just a month. So how fast do these things grow, or was
this most likely a (very lucky) survivor?

So your weather pattern rained tadpoles. It happens get over it.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 08-02-2006, 11:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

wrote:
[...]

A month ago Roy told me that

"...in all my years your the first to ****** their
way into a kill file not due to crap posts but for my not wanting to
deal with a babbling freaking idiot.
Even Koi lo has not managed to get into my kill files as hard as they
try, but your a first."

Remember that? I wonder how you even saw the message.

In any event, it has rained here the past week, and the water rose at least
16 inches (before it submerged the yardstick I had put in there) even
though the weatherguessers said that the accumulation for this area was
less than 6 inches. I didn't have a rain gauge out there so I don't know
exactly how much rain fell here. I guess it was more than 6 inches because
I sure don't see any way water could drain in. The water rose from the 34"
mark to the 35" mark one day while there was no rain whatsoever. I can't
say for sure there wasn't any that night but the yardstick was submerged in
the morning. I planted a bunch of day lilies that had better learn to
become water lilies if they want to survive.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Galen -

I don't know what kind of tadpoles you have,
but I recall reading that different tadpoles
grow at different rates, some very quickly,
maturing in a matter of weeks, others taking a
year or so.

You might check out web sites for your
state or country. Most show local
animal life, how to identify, and so on.

I tend to get in my in-ground pond small green
frogs that produce bunches of tadpoles that
convert in a matter of a month or so to tiny
froglets. A couple of years ago I had toads in
the same pond. But I can't recall how long
their tadpoles/toadpoles took to mature.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 09-02-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:16:03 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

Hi Galen -

I don't know what kind of tadpoles you have,
but I recall reading that different tadpoles
grow at different rates, some very quickly,
maturing in a matter of weeks, others taking a
year or so.

You might check out web sites for your
state or country. Most show local
animal life, how to identify, and so on.

I tend to get in my in-ground pond small green
frogs that produce bunches of tadpoles that
convert in a matter of a month or so to tiny
froglets. A couple of years ago I had toads in
the same pond. But I can't recall how long
their tadpoles/toadpoles took to mature.

Howdy.

I don't know what kind of tadpoles they are either, I just didn't think any
kind of tadpole could get that big in just a month. I've got lots and lots
of frogs around here (also lizards and skinks) so I'm not exactly surprised
to find tadpoles, I just hadn't expected any that big so soon. I live up
in northern Florida, zone 8 also, but it seems to be a bit warmer zone 8
than where you live. By the way, I went to Cambridge Elementary School in
(you guessed it) San Antonio, TX.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
Howdy.

I don't know what kind of tadpoles they are either, I just didn't think
any
kind of tadpole could get that big in just a month. I've got lots and
lots
of frogs around here (also lizards and skinks) so I'm not exactly
surprised
to find tadpoles, I just hadn't expected any that big so soon. I live up
in northern Florida, zone 8 also, but it seems to be a bit warmer zone 8
than where you live. By the way, I went to Cambridge Elementary School in
(you guessed it) San Antonio, TX.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of the future

I thought I recognized that "Howdy"!

One of the web sites I have bookmarked
from searches I've done to ID frogs, toads,
insects, etc., is the IFAS site:
http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/frogs/default.htm
Sometimes I can find a better photo or
description in another State's site than in
Texas sites, although TX does pretty good
in the wildlife area.

Anyway, I hope you can ID your frogs
or toads. They're fun to watch grow.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 09-02-2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:56:36 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

I thought I recognized that "Howdy"!

One of the web sites I have bookmarked
from searches I've done to ID frogs, toads,
insects, etc., is the IFAS site:
http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/frogs/default.htm
Sometimes I can find a better photo or
description in another State's site than in
Texas sites, although TX does pretty good
in the wildlife area.

Anyway, I hope you can ID your frogs
or toads. They're fun to watch grow.

I've never been much good at identifying frogs (or they could be toads, as
you mention) from tadpoles, I have book marked the site, although I suspect
they will have to mature before I get a good ID on them. Thanks for the
site.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message

Some two weeks ago I was out fussing around the pond and noticed about 4
big clumps of frog eggs. I thought that was a little fast, but just
figured I didn't know hardly as much as I thought I did about frogs. Then
today I was out fussing again and saw what looked like a ping-pong ball
with a tail. I couldn't exactly place what it was, so I grabbed a stick
and poked at it. It blinked at me, then lazily swam away. There are
oodles of small tadpoles in the water, but this thing was far, far bigger
than any of them. It didn't have any legs or anything either. I couldn't
imagine anything surviving the bulldozer and front end loader and having
the water pumped out of the pond, but then again I can't imagine this
tadpole growing in just a month. So how fast do these things grow, or was
this most likely a (very lucky) survivor?

=================================='
It's probably one of last years bullfrog tadpoles that survived the
bulldozer in a small puddle of water.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 09-02-2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:39:48 -0600, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

It's probably one of last years bullfrog tadpoles that survived the
bulldozer in a small puddle of water.

Thinking more about it, that's almost what it *has* to be. I am rather
astonished that anything survived the bulldozer and stuff.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:57 AM posted to rec.ponds
cat daddy

From: "Koi-Lo"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Subject: How fast do tadpoles grow?
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:39:48 -0600

Old 09-02-2006, 04:11 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote:

It's probably one of last years bullfrog tadpoles that survived the
bulldozer in a small puddle of water.

Thinking more about it, that's almost what it *has* to be. I am rather
astonished that anything survived the bulldozer and stuff.

==================
My neighbor bulldozed his stock pond a few years ago as it was filling in
with soil from runoff. I never thought anything would survive but some of
the snapper turtles did. Before we netted our ponds they would migrate over
here when his stock pond got too low.
--

-------------
Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

From: "Koi-Lo"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 22:11:33 -0600

Old 09-02-2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:25:38 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

A month ago Roy told me that

"...in all my years your the first to ****** their
way into a kill file not due to crap posts but for my not wanting to
deal with a babbling freaking idiot.
Even Koi lo has not managed to get into my kill files as hard as they
try, but your a first."

Remember that? I wonder how you even saw the message.

Yeah, well afaict Roy _is_ Koi Lo (at least the abusive one). If only he'd
put us all in his kill file.

Grass is funny. We have a number of types of grass planted around our well
that are generally considered "invasive" - and were invasive where we dug
them up. Four years later, there are still bare patches around the well.

In any event, it has rained here the past week, and the water rose at
least 16 inches (before it submerged the yardstick I had put in there)
even though the weatherguessers said that the accumulation for this area
was
less than 6 inches. I didn't have a rain gauge out there so I don't know
exactly how much rain fell here. I guess it was more than 6 inches
because
I sure don't see any way water could drain in.

Unless your pond sides are vertical, the water level _will_ rise faster than
the precipitation rate, but if you're right about the pond being below the
water table then it would keep filling until it reached the water table
level, but rain will increase the subsurface pressure in the whole area,
and speed up the process.

There are
oodles of small tadpoles in the water, but this thing was far, far
bigger
than any of them. It didn't have any legs or anything either. I
couldn't imagine anything surviving the bulldozer and front end loader
and having the water pumped out of the pond, but then again I can't
imagine this
tadpole growing in just a month. So how fast do these things grow, or
was this most likely a (very lucky) survivor?

My bet is on survivor. I doubt it was that lucky - I bet there's a bunch of
critters that survived the digging.

We are the CroMagnon of the future

Aren't we already the CroMagnon of the past?
--
derek
Old 09-02-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Sorry to dissapoint you asshole, but Roy is Roy, I hide behind no
nyms, and openily post with my same user name all the time. If I do
change I will notify you...........now go cry to mommy you were told
your wrong, your abaout the biggest cry baby I have ever had the
opportunity to come across.....I bet you wore dresses and panties as a
youngin, you little sissy twerp!

Old 09-02-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote:

Howdy.

I don't know what kind of tadpoles they are either, I just didn't think
any
kind of tadpole could get that big in just a month. I've got lots and
lots
of frogs around here (also lizards and skinks) so I'm not exactly
surprised
to find tadpoles, I just hadn't expected any that big so soon. I live up
in northern Florida, zone 8 also, but it seems to be a bit warmer zone 8
than where you live. By the way, I went to Cambridge Elementary School in
(you guessed it) San Antonio, TX.

Tadpoles have to grow up before the water source dries up. For example,
tadpoles in northern Africa don't have much time, the ponds and puddles dry
up within a month or two. On the other extreme, the Amazon rainforest has
frogs that lay their eggs in the pockets of water that form in the base of
tree branches, because they almost never dry out.

Most tadpoles grow up in a month or two, a few stick around for a year. If
you're worried about the tadpoles, collect them, and drop them off in a
local pond, or creek. Or better yet, fill up a half whiskey barrel with
water, let them grow in that.