Old 01-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Matt

Default Koi

My daughter is very interested in raising koi. We live in the Northeast
(Upstate NY) and are trying to decide what we need to raise koi.

We are thinking of buying an aquarium and starting there as we will need one
anyway to over winter them. What would be the min aquarium size to make sure
that we can keep two koi happy and healthy year round?

We have looked at pre made ponds, but they are only about 18 inches deep and
we have been looking into making a pond using a pond liners. My question is
what is a safe depth and what is the min size in gallons to raise two koi,
ones that we would like to grow to 10 to 12 inches in the northeast where
they can over winter in the pond?

Also, I could use some good info links

Thank you for your time.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Denise

Hi Matt,

I live upstate NY too. I have a small preform pond (about 65 gallons)
with three koi (one is new butterfly) in it and since it's not deep
enough, they do enjoy their winters inside a 55 gallon tank. I do
regular water changes and make sure the water quality is good so no
problems. It's also wonderful to see their colors so clearly under tank
lights :-)

I have friends nearby who do have year round pond with over 25 koi. It's
5 foot at it's deepest and they keep a hole in the ice to make sure
gasses can get out and the fish do well. This past winter was very hard
because of all the snow they had to keep cleaning off. Much easier to
keep a year round pond in a warmer climate.

Here is a page that is very helpful. I never bought anything from this
company but have been getting their newsletter which is full of info.
and they do respond to any questions very quickly.

http://www.pondsolutions.com/

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 01-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Chris

If you want to overwinter the fish you need to find out what the frost depth
is during the winter where you live and dig below that so the water will not
freeze up at the bottom. You wil also need to supply a way for the fish to
get air during the winter.

Old 01-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Denise, Did you say 3 Koi in 65 gallons of water?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Denise" wrote in message
Hi Matt,

I live upstate NY too. I have a small preform pond (about 65 gallons)
with three koi (one is new butterfly) in it and since it's not deep
enough, they do enjoy their winters inside a 55 gallon tank. snip

Old 01-06-2003, 04:20 PM
K30a

These are some good pages to start with

http://www.pondrushes.net/
and
http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm
and
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/index.html

k30a

Old 01-06-2003, 04:56 PM
John Hines

"Matt" wrote:

We are thinking of buying an aquarium and starting there as we will need one
anyway to over winter them. What would be the min aquarium size to make sure
that we can keep two koi happy and healthy year round?

Koi will go 24" full grown, so your best bet would be a 300 gal stock
tank, or better.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Denise

Yup, 3 koi (each just over eleven inches now) in 65 gallons. The deepest
part, in center is 30 inches. The water quality is excellent (I test
frequently) with 20-25% partial water change done once a week.

I make sure to NOT overfeed and I do not feed any kind of "growth
formula" stuff, just "color enhancing" koi sticks.

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 02-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Don

I agree. Animals can survive in stressful environments but I believe it is
up to us to provide the best conditions we can for them. Water changes will
get you by but it only makes sense a bigger fish would do better in a bigger
pond. Would you keep a Great Dane in a bathroom? It might live but would
it be happy and healthy?

Old 02-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Denise

I appreciate the input from the backyard pond hobbiests here, however, I
will have to go by the advice of an expert with over twenty-five years
of breeding and selling koi at his koi farm in New Jersey. He has seen
my pond and my fish, says my set up is fine and my fish are thriving. If
they are "unhappy", you sure can't tell.

I find it somewhat interesting that some of the people I have met with
ponds, as well as some people here in this group, have HUGE ponds, not
many fish, yet they have all kinds of water problems and filter problems
and their fish are ill or dying.

I have a healthy pond and healthy fish :-)

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 03-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

You sound like you are being defensive! I apologize if in asking the
question I made you feel like I was criticizing you, far from that. I was
actually shocked and impressed that you are able to keep such a large Koi in
such a small water. You must have incredible filtration.

I was once told that water volume is not the only criteria, that waterflow
and filtration matters. A friend of mine with prized Koi (Think minimum
24inches, and kept for 8 years) had them in 600 gallons with great flow, and
zeolite. But one day the pump went off while he was at work, that many fish
in a small enclosure and they did not stand a chance! All but 2 died!
After 8 years of babying and caring for these fish gone down the tubes by
not having enough buffer.

Anyway, all opinions and approach are welcome here and we learn from each
other on what works and what doesn't.

BTW, I have learnt a whole lot more from these "backyard pond hobbiests"
than from the professionals that want to peddle filters, zeolites, and other
quick fix, chemical dependent cycle that keeps you spending your hard earned
money in their stores.

Just my 2cents (keep in mind that I am a newby to this hobby, so what do I
know?)

--
_______________________________________

Old 03-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Denise

Hey, no problem! Some people just think their way is the only right way
:-) .

If you have a good volume of water moving and recirculating the whole
pond often and you keep leaves and crap out and you make sure to keep
your filter clean (rinse often!) and you feed high quality food only and
your fish are stressed as little as possible, you can keep some big fish
in a little pond. My two older koi come right up to my fingers to get
food. I can even pet them (wet your hands first!)

I stated that I would listen to the fellow from the koi farm in NJ over
others simply because I was so impressed with his operation and gorgous
fish and the over a dozen ponds he had on display. My most expensive koi
came from him and he actually delivered my fish to me and stayed for a
couple of hours giving me priceless info.

I have been using Stress Coat and Stress Zyme in my tank for many years
and I started using them in my pond when I put it in last year. GOOD
stuff.

BTW, I showed some of the posts, including the ones about "unhappy"
fish, to my husband, and he said that if our fish ever seem to be
"unhappy", he will go out there with his 12-sting acoustic and entertain
them, will even tell a few jokes...

Denise

Old 04-06-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Denise" wrote in message
Hey, no problem! Some people just think their way is the only right way
:-) .

snip

I feel your pain. I stopped hanging out over in rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
because of the 'one wayers'. All I know is my 55gallon aquarium has been
running for about 5 years, and the only time I lose fish is when I listen to
the one-wayers. According to them, my tank is no better then a toilet, but
my fish are happy, healthy and best when left alone.

There are certainly reasons behind the rules, and they are worth listening
to, but IMHO, you find what works for you, and go with it.

BV.

Old 04-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Hank Pagel

I will drink to BV's last statement. (but then again I'll drink to anything)