Old 02-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Hal

Default waterlilies and their pots

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 02:01:00 -0600, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

** With a crane! :-) That's why I never use anything without at least
one drainage hole in the bottom. I lug it to the side and sit it there until
most of the water drains out so it's a manageable weight. But a 30 gallon
barrel???!?!?!!?

Yes, it is a nice size. Don't let the term barrel throw you, it is
only about 19" in diameter and a bit over 6" deep. (A mere 10 gallon
container.) I did put three holes near the top for a rope cradle just
in case I have to use a saw horse and long pole to lift it out.
I'm pretty excited about the way the lily in it bloomed last year and
looking forward to adding another pot like it this year.

Regards,

Hal

Old 03-03-2004, 03:37 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message

## What clogged too easily? Your filter????

The aKwatiks themselves.

$$ How does a fertilizer tablet clog? I don't know what you mean. The
tablets and spikes I use just disintegrate over the summer. How can a
tablet get clogged???

I feel that basically their diameter is too
small.

$$ The diameter of the fertilizer tablets?

I even tried experiments with different brands of lily tabs to
find the one that dissolved the most completely, but it still clogged
the aKwatik.

$$ What is aKwatik? Some kind of "thing" that holds the tablets? A
basket? Something like a steel tea-ball? A mesh bag?

--
Carol...
My website:

Old 03-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Steve J. Noll

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:30:35 -0600, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

.. .

http://www.akwatik.com/

--
Carol...
My website:
http://www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/index.html
[Insert humorous, clever or profound quote here]
~~~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~~~~~{@

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California

Old 04-03-2004, 07:05 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message

http://www.akwatik.com/

=======================
Oh, it's a feeding tube for pots. I just push them down with my finger!
:-)

Old 06-03-2004, 01:41 AM
john

and i use dish pans

John Rutz

~ Windsong ~ wrote:
"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
suggestions

I use 18-inch diameter 7-inch deep plastic pots from Home Depot.
No holes.

## Ok, this is what I was asking - do the hardy lilies thrive in a solid pot
or perhaps one with only one bottom hole. I wasn't sure if their roots
needed more water circulation than a solid wall pot allowed. I can look for
these pots at my Home Depot here in TN. I already have a few I used as
planters for the porch last summer. :-)

I've heard that hardy lilies want large diameter shallow

pots. Last season I used the Schultz Aquatic soil - it's like a
ceramic and is perfectly clean. I'm getting ready to re-pot now and
will be using a mix of that, composted steer manure, and a little 'Koi
Clay'.

## What is koi clay? Our native clay grows beautiful water lilies. I add
some rose fertilizer sticks and Ironite to the potting soil (clean clay from
our own land). I try and do them every year because they grow so rapidly.
I hope to take new pics for my website this coming summer, now that I have a
digital camera and better photo processing software.

Clay soil seems to be popular, but I don't have access to

any. I tried aKwatik fertilizers last year but found they clogged too
easily. Making my own this year.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 AM
john

and i use dish pans

John Rutz

Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 AM
john

and i use dish pans

John Rutz

Old 06-03-2004, 07:32 AM
~ Windsong ~

"john" wrote in message
and i use dish pans

I just found a few of them out in the outbuilding. My outbuilding is a
treasure throve of ..er,.. ummm... old stuff I just never got to toss out.
:-) You never know what these things may come in handy.

--
Carol.....
My Webpages: