Old 27-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Scopata Fuori

Default 7b: Bud report 4/26

One bloom so far...on an unidenitfied J&P miniature...pink salmon color.

Almost every miniature (about 30 of them) has buds, small to medium.

Jeanne LaJoie, a climbing miniature (does a rose with four feet of climbing
canes count as a mini anymore?) lots of small buds...

Red Cascade, another climbing miniature, lots of small buds...

Iceberg tree rose, several small buds...

An unidentified red floribunda that was here when I bought the house,
several buds.

And Sea Pearl, a hybrid tea, has buds showing. It was actually the very
first of the lot of them to develop a bud at all, as it was last year, as
well. It is unquestionably my earliest-blooming full size rose.

I just sprayed the fruit trees today with Serenade Solutions, a biofungicide
to combat the brown rot that destroys every peach. I left a little in the
sprayer, and made up a fresh mix of Monty's Joy Juice (new to me, never used
it before), a spoonful of phosphorus, a large capful of Miracle Gro Quick
Start with B1, and a dash of Mancozeb (which is liquid Manzate) to
discourage any blackspot spores that might decide to alight upon the newly
sprayed, wet leaves.

I hope to get the Milky Spore into the ground tomorrow.

Next week, Banner Maxx. I sprung for a pint, not cheap! But if it works,
it's worth it.

I bought a battery powered sprayer this season. The 2.5 gallon pump sprayers
just weren't doing it anymore. This is the Rocket sprayer, paid $119, got it
at Sam's Club. It made spraying go MUCH quicker. My only complaints are the
lack of volume indications on the tank itself, and an on/off switch in a
very inconvenient spot. It has a recharger, and it says it will last for
spraying 13 tanks before a recharge.

I think it's five gallons. It took two tanks to spray everybody.

Scopata Fuori

Old 27-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Allegra

Default Bud report 4/26

"Scopata Fuori"

. My only complaints are the
lack of volume indications on the tank itself, and an on/off switch in a
very inconvenient spot. It has a recharger, and it says it will last for
spraying 13 tanks before a recharge.

I think it's five gallons. It took two tanks to spray everybody.

Scopata Fuori

Hello Swept Outside (love that name!)

I solved the problem with our old sprayer by
using a permanent marker and making marks at
different fluid measurements. The easiest
way I found -others may have a better idea-
was to use a measuring stick, pour one cup
of liquid, stick the measuring stick inside the
tank and take it out. Then I will mark on the
outside of the tank a line matching the wet
area on the stick. I did it for each cup till
it got to the gallon mark. Then I just measure
the distance between the bottom of the sprayer
and that mark and repeated to the top as many
times as gallons the sprayer would hold.

It took about 30 minutes but it was well
worth the effort. Also at the restaurant supply
place you can get some majestic size measuring
cups for a couple of dollars, plastic and pretty
strong that are very useful to mix the ingredients
before adding them to the tank if you rather do
that separately. And yes Banner Maxx is up there
and if you want everything to work really well
mix with it some Indicate 5, nothing clings to
the leaves better than that. This year we are having
some very clean foliage in the middle of the worse
Powdery mildew scene in memory.

Around here many buds, no blooms yet...

Allegra

Old 28-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Scopata Fuori

Hello Swept Outside (love that name!)

Actually, I used one of the online translators to translate something *much
ruder* into Italian...and found it also could translate as "swept away" or
"swept outside," so therein was created the nom de plume! E-mail me if you
*really* want to know what the English transliteration was... )

Also at the restaurant supply
place you can get some majestic size measuring
cups for a couple of dollars, plastic and pretty
strong that are very useful to mix the ingredients
before adding them to the tank if you rather do
that separately.

Excellent idea. I'll see what I can find. I did have a tiny measuring spoon
gizmo that had several spoonlets with different sizes, but I think I have
passed the measurig in spoonfuls point... :0

And yes Banner Maxx is up there
and if you want everything to work really well
mix with it some Indicate 5

Just got that too. I ordered from Rosemania, and got the Banner Maxx as well
as the Indicate, and Cygon and Milky Spore and the Monty's Joy Juice. We'll
see how it goes.

I am thinking, however, of investing in some of the aqua-cones, so I can
ensure the feritlizer solutiuon goes directly down to the roots instead of
being soaked up by the mulch and the weed fabric.

Scopata Fuori

Old 28-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Shiva

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:14:50 -0400, "Scopata Fuori"
wrote:

One bloom so far...on an unidenitfied J&P miniature...pink salmon color.

I am also in Zone 7b. This demonstrates how much diversity there can
be in places that are technically within the same zone.

My first bloom came over a week ago--on Granada. At the moment there
are 30+ blooms and more buds on Don Juan, Rio Samba has ten or more
blooms and more buds, Tradescant, George Burns, Sombrueil, Nicole,
White Lightnin', Abraham Darby, Ink Spot, Gold Medal, and Tamora are
blooming. In bud are Full Sail, Tineke, All That Jazz, Margaret
Merrill, Pat Austin, New Dawn, Tiffany, Sunsprite, Penelope, The
Prince, and The Squire.

[...]
, and a dash of Mancozeb (which is liquid Manzate)

Interesting. I didn't know this.
Old 28-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Daniel Hanna

In 65f8f0b6d0f14a8960a2069c07f10e4a@TeraNews Shiva wrote:
My first bloom came over a week ago--on Granada.

I've had my first few blooms on Granada too, Shiva - I purchased in
early Feb and it's thriving in a pot. Some mildew though.

You can see the pics he
http://members.optushome.com.au/djhanna/

Old 28-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Scopata Fuori

I am so jealous. Last couple of years, they have held out and held out, and
waited until mid-May, when I was gone on vacation for a week where I would
see NO roses of any kind (in Jamaica!). Then they all decided to bust loose
while I was gone.

I'm not going away this year, so they might as well bloom.

http://photos.yahoo.com/virtuanna

Click on the roses photos, (unless you want to see my miniature house
collection!)
and there they a

1. My first bloom of 2003, (nothing like yours, yet!),

2. Climbing White Dawn, Red Cascade, Jeanne LaJoie (left to right) and a yet
to be identified miniature in the hanging basket.

3. The basement door, with a Walmart Rescue $2 special to the left of it,
and the Cl. White Dawn to the right, with the climbing mini Red Cascade at
her feet.

The $2 Walmart special was a *stick* when I got it...and this year already,
I have lopped off a foot of dieback from the winter, and it's growing like,
well...a weed. Last year, it was the second to bloom, immediately after Sea
Pearl.

My husband keeps saying "no more roses!" WRONG. No more golf balls, then!!!

--
Scopata Fuori

Old 28-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Shiva

On 28 Apr 2003 01:02:09 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

In 65f8f0b6d0f14a8960a2069c07f10e4a@TeraNews Shiva wrote:
My first bloom came over a week ago--on Granada.

I've had my first few blooms on Granada too, Shiva - I purchased in
early Feb and it's thriving in a pot. Some mildew though.

You can see the pics he
http://members.optushome.com.au/djhanna/

Daniel--that is very pretty, and the form looks right, but, honestly,
I have never seen pink on my Granada. It is a very different color. I
suppose our different locations do this? Do you like it?

Old 28-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Cass

Daniel Hanna wrote:

In 65f8f0b6d0f14a8960a2069c07f10e4a@TeraNews Shiva wrote:
My first bloom came over a week ago--on Granada.

I've had my first few blooms on Granada too, Shiva - I purchased in
early Feb and it's thriving in a pot. Some mildew though.

You can see the pics he
http://members.optushome.com.au/djhanna/

What a difference temperature makes. Granada retains warm gold tones in
the center here on the cool coast:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...es/Granada.jpg

I'm glad you mentioned mildew. I've noticed the foliage folding, which
is the first sign here. I'll hit with jojoba oil if the rain ever
stops.

Daniel, what is that gorgeous red on your first page? An Austin? Neat
picture.
Old 28-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Shiva

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:03:56 -0400, "Scopata Fuori"
wrote:

I am so jealous. Last couple of years, they have held out and held out, and
waited until mid-May, when I was gone on vacation for a week where I would
see NO roses of any kind (in Jamaica!). Then they all decided to bust loose
while I was gone.

How do you prune? Hard or lightly? I prune lightly unless there is a
GOOD reason to prune hard--like canker, for example. My friend here in
Raleigh who prunes hard in fall and spring (!) still has no blooms and
only a few buds. But maybe it really is just the difference between MD
and NC.

Roses don't grow in Jamaica, or Jamaicans don't grow roses?

[...]

I love your garden. I have rescues from all the 'Marts! I babied a $3
Europeana along for two years, and it is just past the "sprouting
stumps" phase this spring!

--
Scopata Fuori

Old 29-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Scopata Fuori

How do you prune? Hard or lightly? I prune lightly unless there is a
GOOD reason to prune hard--like canker, for example.

I prune as lightly as possible. I don't believe in cutting down to a few
good canes. If it's strong enough to hold its own, that's one more I have,
in case another gets "sick" and has to be removed. The climbers, I only
trimmed to about an inch past whatever winter dieback they had, and it
wasn't much. Just a few odd sprigs.

Roses don't grow in Jamaica, or Jamaicans don't grow roses?

There is a resort called Rose Hall Manor, and I assume they have roses
there, but I never saw any rosebushes at the resorts I went to, nor any
growing in anyone's yard. Perhaps it's too hot and humid.

--
Scopata Fuori

Old 29-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Cass wrote:
Daniel, what is that gorgeous red on your first page? An Austin? Neat
picture.

That one is Austin's The Squire. It graces my front page because:

(a) It's Austin's best red bloom, despite the new releases;
(b) Austin rubbishes it and doesn't list it any more; and
(c) I'm bloody minded, and so are many Australian nurseries who still
carry it because they know it's the best!

My Squire has been in a pot all season and it is growing beautifully.
Until we had 4 weeks of solid rain last month it had no disease at all,
despite its poor reputation.

I'm a big fan.
Old 29-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Theo Asir

(b) Austin rubbishes it and doesn't list it any more; and

Has anyone done a correlation between plants that
go out of patent and Austin Rubbishing it.

I know he rubbishes Tamora too. But
its easily his best copper toned rose.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 30-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Daniel Hanna

In 2ddacc90051f5cf415f34a23461e2f1b@TeraNews Theo Asir wrote:
Has anyone done a correlation between plants that
go out of patent and Austin Rubbishing it.

I know he rubbishes Tamora too. But
its easily his best copper toned rose.

In fairness, he doesn't always rubbish his early efforts. In his own
book, David Austin's Roses (the one with photos to die for by Clay Perry)
he heaps praise on many older ones, including Heritage, Graham Thomas,
Abraham Darby and The Prince.

At the same time, he doesn't ever say that his new releases are a
backward step! Interesting comment this, about Tamora - you prefer it
to Pat Austin? I thought the two colours were quite different?

bud blast? J Fortuna Orchids 3 01-12-2003 01:22 PM
Granada (was 7b: Bud report 4/26) Shiva Roses 0 28-04-2003 07:08 PM
first bud dave weil Roses 17 02-04-2003 05:08 PM
Can I bud/graft cherry onto plum rootstock? Joe Jamies Gardening 4 06-03-2003 05:27 PM
impatien ,bud like thing********************************************* gort United Kingdom 2 30-09-2002 10:15 AM