Old 23-07-2003, 10:02 PM
dave weil

Default More on Sevin and Japanese beetles

Well, after my first couple of applications of powdery Sevin, I got
relief for almost a week. Then, the JBs came back in swarms each time.
I finally decided to buy some concentrated Sevin liquid today (mainly
because I didn't like the idea of casting the power to the wind). I
sprayed liberally and saw an almost immediate effect (something I
never saw with Orthonex, Shiva's experience notwithstanding). It
really knocks them down right on the spot!

It says to do no more than 5 foliar applications per season, but they
should be gone for good in about 3 weeks, so I'm hoping that this will
do the trick.
Old 23-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Anne Lurie

I hear ya, Dave! I'm almost (but not quite!!!!) disappointed that I've seen
fewer Japanese Beetles this year than I recall in the past (no traps this
year), because it was rather gratifying to see the little ba**ards fall down
after I sprayed them.

BTW, thanks for the warning about no more than 4 foliar applications per
season -- my bottle of Sevin has been in the garage long enough that the
instruction booklet on the back was long gone, so I had to go online to find
the darned dosage!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 23-07-2003, 11:12 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:48:54 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

I hear ya, Dave! I'm almost (but not quite!!!!) disappointed that I've seen
fewer Japanese Beetles this year than I recall in the past (no traps this
year), because it was rather gratifying to see the little ba**ards fall down
after I sprayed them.

BTW, thanks for the warning about no more than 4 foliar applications per
season -- my bottle of Sevin has been in the garage long enough that the
instruction booklet on the back was long gone, so I had to go online to find
the darned dosage!

Do you see a residual effect between sprayings? Also, if you start
early in the season, do you just spot spray on the little buggers
themselves, instead of spraying the whole plant?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

.. .

Old 24-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Anne Lurie

Dave,

When you say "residual effect" do you mean the effect on the JB, or the fact
that Sevin doesn't come off the foliage until a good hard rain? I confess
that I don't know the answer to the first part.

As for your second question, it's not an "either or" for me -- I spray JB
first, then the entire plant..... depending on my mood, I give the JB an
extra shot when I'm done! (Wow -- I guess it's a good thing I wasn't into
growing roses when I was young enough for PMS!!! "This one's for you and
the horse you rode in on!" Back then, I was too busy using Diazinon on
radishes, sigh.......)

Also, Dave, I misquoted you about the foliar applications; you said they
should be limited to 5, but I typed 4 in my post. I'm still trying to
figure out which is worst: not being able to A) type; B) read; or C) count

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 24-07-2003, 12:04 AM
dave weil

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:45:36 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

Dave,

When you say "residual effect" do you mean the effect on the JB, or the fact
that Sevin doesn't come off the foliage until a good hard rain? I confess
that I don't know the answer to the first part.

I sort of mean, is it *just* a contact killer, or does it stick around
to kill them several days later when they decide to munch? I suspect I
know the answer to that based on your comment above.

Ironically, even though it wasn't supposed to rain until at least the
weekend, I'm looking at a downpour outside my window right now. So, I
might have to spray again in a day or two, although, maybe it doesn't
count toward the 5 foliar sprays because it was washed off within
hours of application.

As for your second question, it's not an "either or" for me -- I spray JB
first, then the entire plant..... depending on my mood, I give the JB an
extra shot when I'm done! (Wow -- I guess it's a good thing I wasn't into
growing roses when I was young enough for PMS!!! "This one's for you and
the horse you rode in on!" Back then, I was too busy using Diazinon on
radishes, sigh.......)

Well, my concern is the limitation on the number of sprays allowed. If
I need to just do spot sprays, then so be it. I can derive some
pleasure from that. In fact, I'd almost prefer to do that as opposed
to spraying th whole plant. After all, I'm lazy, as everyone around
here knows...

Also, Dave, I misquoted you about the foliar applications; you said they
should be limited to 5, but I typed 4 in my post. I'm still trying to
figure out which is worst: not being able to A) type; B) read; or C) count

I decided not to point out the discrepancy.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

.. .
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 24-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Henry

dave weil wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 "Anne Lurie" wrote:

When you say "residual effect" do you mean the effect on the JB, or the fact
that Sevin doesn't come off the foliage until a good hard rain? I confess
that I don't know the answer to the first part.

I sort of mean, is it *just* a contact killer, or does it stick around
to kill them several days later when they decide to munch? I suspect I
know the answer to that based on your comment above.

The sevin that is left on the leaves will kill them if they eat it but
for the most part, it kills those that are present when sprayed. Also,
for me, anyway, they are mostly eating the buds as they start to open.
Johann Strauss, August Renoir, Linda Campbell and Pat Austin are opening
lots of new flowers every day now and they just crowd in and enjoy
themselves. So, every morning when I get up and every evening when I
get home I have been squashing beetles. They are also way up high on
Zepherine Drouhin but I need a step ladder to get to them. They don't
seem to be bothering the plants that are "between flushes" right now.
The rugosa seedlings and Mary Rose have a few. Graham Thomas and my
small New Dawn are free of them but that may just be a coincidence.

I had dusted late last week and that stayed around until last night when
we had a very hard rain (the first in almost 10 days, our longest dry
spell since I don't remember when!). It's raining again now. The dust
kept them off the leaves and off the flowers that were open when I put
it down but didn't help with the new flowers. I've filled a small
sprayer with a sevin solution and will do some selective spraying
starting tomorrow and see if that works any better.

Ironically, even though it wasn't supposed to rain until at least the
weekend, I'm looking at a downpour outside my window right now. So, I
might have to spray again in a day or two, although, maybe it doesn't
count toward the 5 foliar sprays because it was washed off within
hours of application.

Since I'll just be spraying directly on the buggers, I'm not going to
keep particularly close track of how many applications I'm putting on.
If I spray an entire plant (or even most of it) then perhaps I will.

My parent's neighbor uses a hemostat to squish them. I've gotten to the
point where I just use my bare hands (and then wash well). Anyway, it's
nice to go out and see lots of dead beetles on the ground around the roses.

--
Henry

Old 24-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Susan H. Simko

Anne Lurie wrote:

Also, Dave, I misquoted you about the foliar applications; you said they
should be limited to 5, but I typed 4 in my post. I'm still trying to
figure out which is worst: not being able to A) type; B) read; or C) count

Not being able to count comes in handy with roses. "But I *only* have
five roses. I need more." "What do you mean honey that you counted
sixteen?" "I'm supposed to use *two* hands and my toes?"

I still can't bring myself to use Sevin. I wish I could because some of
my roses would love me for it. I just can't bear the thought of
possibly hurting the resident toads, nesting bluebirds and their babies,
or the beneficial insects. *sigh* I don't feel anywhere near as guilty
when I spray orthenex.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 24-07-2003, 09:02 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:14:27 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

Anne Lurie wrote:

Also, Dave, I misquoted you about the foliar applications; you said they
should be limited to 5, but I typed 4 in my post. I'm still trying to
figure out which is worst: not being able to A) type; B) read; or C) count

Not being able to count comes in handy with roses. "But I *only* have
five roses. I need more." "What do you mean honey that you counted
sixteen?" "I'm supposed to use *two* hands and my toes?"

I still can't bring myself to use Sevin. I wish I could because some of
my roses would love me for it. I just can't bear the thought of
possibly hurting the resident toads, nesting bluebirds and their babies,
or the beneficial insects. *sigh* I don't feel anywhere near as guilty
when I spray orthenex.

Susan,

I can see your reluctance to wreck havok on toads and other
beneficials.

Me, I don't have any toads to worry about, but I do worry about the
butterflies. However, the incredible damage that the beetles do to my
plants overrides that concern. Hopefully, the butterflies remain fine,
since they usually just hang out at the zinnias.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 25-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Henry

dave weil wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, "Susan H. Simko" wrote:

I still can't bring myself to use Sevin. I wish I could because
some of my roses would love me for it. I just can't bear the
thought of possibly hurting the resident toads, nesting bluebirds
and their babies, or the beneficial insects. *sigh* I don't
feel anywhere near as guilty when I spray orthenex.

I can see your reluctance to wreck havok on toads and other
beneficials.

Me, I don't have any toads to worry about, but I do worry about the
butterflies. However, the incredible damage that the beetles do to my
plants overrides that concern. Hopefully, the butterflies remain fine,
since they usually just hang out at the zinnias.

Sevin is considerably more toxic to invertebrates than to vertebrates
who break it down and excrete it pretty quickly. Beneficial insects are
certainly affected but you probably won't decimate the toad or bluebird
population too drastically if you use it with restraint.

--
Henry

Old 25-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

Henry wrote:

Sevin is considerably more toxic to invertebrates than to vertebrates
who break it down and excrete it pretty quickly. Beneficial insects are
certainly affected but you probably won't decimate the toad or bluebird
population too drastically if you use it with restraint.

That's a little too controversial in my opinion. There has been some
evidence of possible vertebrate kills from ingesting inverterbrates that
have consumed Sevin. Since my bluebirds are insectivores and heavily
feeding right now due to their babies, I just don't want to risk it. JB
season appears to be slowing down. Certain roses (blue girls) have been
decimated but as long as I can keep the s.o. from dusting the pussy
willow (my JB sacrificial plant) with diatomaceous earth, the JBs seem
to prefer that to most of my other roses.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 25-07-2003, 08:32 PM
NC_FUBAR

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:57:33 -0400, Henry
wrote:

My parent's neighbor uses a hemostat to squish them. I've gotten to the
point where I just use my bare hands (and then wash well). Anyway, it's
nice to go out and see lots of dead beetles on the ground around the roses

Careful with the bare hand.. I had one bite the P---- out of my finger
last week. Damn thing stung like hell and was sore for 2 days. Now I
weare leather gloves.

Lee

Liquid Sevin vs.Sevin powder? [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 26-04-2016 06:14 PM
Sevin and toxicity? Unique Too Roses 11 20-04-2011 06:58 PM
White bugs, Sevin and pruning Robert North Carolina 7 29-09-2003 06:02 PM
Sevin dust and Japanese beetles dave weil Roses 11 13-07-2003 11:52 PM
Japanese beetles and the morning glory Wendy Puckett North Carolina 2 13-07-2003 04:45 PM