Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Black ratsnakes for vole control?

Quite honestly, I'd rather have a completely barren yard then have *any*
kind of snake in my yard. They just give me the creeps.

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.3908e933d851a4fa612b2b13bec204f5 @1060533123.cotse.net...
Shiva wrote:

Wow, this never ocurred to me! This was in today's paper.
Remember, I have tried every thing else.

http://newsobserver.com/features/hom...-2561854c.html

What do you all think??

Hmmm. Wrong article, but I swear I saw the one I was referring to
in today's gardening section, hardcopy. (For those of you who missed it, I
have lost many beloved plants, esp. roses, to voles this year, and in the
past three years.)

Here is the New Weapon:

Black ratsnakes! One guy who had tried the sonic things, the traps, the
chicken wire, the Permatil and the Rozol ordered a couple pair of black

rat
snakes and they wiped out his vole infestation!

Here is the scenario: very woodsy, mulchy yards, about half an acre,
in the city of Raleigh, NC but this city is very green and lush. We have

bats, owls,
hawks, and some stray cats, but not many of the latter due to a leash
law and lots of animal lovers. (In other words, we keep them inside and
safe.) We have lots of little brown snakes in the yards, and tons of bugs.

If you all think this might work, how might I get some of these snakes?
I love reptiles and have kept snakes and lizards and frogs and salamanders
and toads as pets. You herp folks, how old should the snakes be before I

let
them live in the yard? Do I need to get wild ones, or could those born in
captivity adapt? TIA!

P.S.--Just thought of a drawback. If these snakes get big, can they eat
things like chipmunks, rabbits and squirrels? The voles are the only
thing I want to lose.

Vole control Paul W. Paulsen Gardening 2 15-03-2008 02:04 AM
Vole control idea higgledy Gardening 6 09-05-2006 01:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM