Old 26-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Libralove

Default Where to find day laborers in Austin?

Hey Folks,

When I first moved to NYC in 1973 from Austin, I found myself sitting in the
living room of the Bronx Mercedes dealer and the Bronx Borough Democratic
President over looking the Hudson River in a fabulous apartment.

What a view that was! I was cute young thing and politically clueless. I did
know what the SDS was, since I had spent the late '60s at UT.

I remember there was a Baccarat elephant and a donkey on the glass coffee
table.

At one point, one of the men turned to me and said, "What do you think about
us maybe making Puerto Rico a state instead of a commonwealth?" I was like,
"I have no clue what you are talking about".

At the time, Puerto Ricans were allowed to become U.S. citizens but they
were not encouraged to come over here and work. I had no idea what the
issues were or why they either wanted them here to work or not. But I did
realize that I was privy to some inside view of how "The Organization"
worked. That was what they called the cronies of theirs that they were
discussing. They were either members of "The Organization" or not.

New York City politics was/is a rough game. These two guys are dead or at
least I know for sure one is, his liver got him and the other one must have
had liver damage too, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, they both began to explain to me the mechanics of keeping a city
like New York running relatively smoothly considering the vast labor needs
that it has. This was New York City Management 101 and a speed track for the
evening. Buckle your seat belt lil girl and listen up...

They began to explain it to me. One of the biggest problems is/was the
immigrant population matures and in 5 years or so, the people who arrived on
the shores, no longer want to clean public restrooms, sweep the streets,
wipe the behinds of the elderly, etc.

America is a "land of opportunity", so in about 5 years or so, many
immigrants are ready to move into better jobs like driving a cab, or waiting
tables or city or government work with benefits. The lowest, hardest and
most unpleasant jobs go lacking of any workers to do them unless the
immigrant gates are opened from time to time.

Therefore, these two politicos explained to me, we must have a constant
fresh source of emigrant labor to replenish the supply. Without it, the city
could become paralyzed from lack of labor on the low end.

They were constantly looking at nearby islands like Puerto Rico and Haiti as
a source for these labor needs. The problem is with racism. Puerto Ricans
are lighter skinned and therefore preferable over Haitians. So they would
try to get more Puerto Ricans to come first and then open some doors for the
Haitians to come next.

Who knows they told me, "If we can get rid of Baby Doc, we might even make
Haiti a commonwealth if the labor supply runs low".

Now this is a rather warped, but probably realistic view of how this
immigrant thing works, at least in the NYC area. This was an amazing
revelation to me. Like I said, I had no clue of where they found people to
clean the public restrooms of New York City. But imagine what it would be
like if they could find no one to do it! I left that evening shaking my head
saying, "Wow! I wonder if what they said was true...." I have since
realized, MOST PROBABLY!

Best to All -- LL

in article , Spam-A-Ram-A at
e wrote on 5/26/03 9:27 AM:

Uh, just what is *your* lineage, mr. "jet"?

European? Did your folks come over on a boat? Did they go through Ellis
Island?

African? Compulsory trip to the U.S. of A., perhaps?

Your high'n'mighty attitude about "illegal activities" is complete BS.
Through the mid-1900's, it was immigrants that grew this country, and our
"doors" were wide open. So, it is only because of current "morals" on the
part of our alleged representatives (as if they actually have morals that
didn't concern making money above all else) that immigration laws are the
way they are.

The reason we have so many illegal Mexican immigrants is simple: because it
is illegal. The reason we have so many Mexican, Central & South American
immigrants is simple: because we share a border. So long as we have that
border, folks will continue to cross it. Case closed.

Believe you me, if folks could have walked here from, say, Poland at any
time after the Iron Curtain fell, they would have.

Now, I must agree with some of the other posts. These people come here
because to them the money is good. Whereas $7.50 / hour may seem like chump
change, it's much better than $7.50 / month, or zero, or being forced to
grow coca leaves and deal with the ilk of those that process them.

Yes, most of these people are hard working. And yes, they are people. This
is the true bottom line. They are fellow humans, and deserve the respect one
would give to any member of your own family.

To believe otherwise is simply letting your animal brain control you,
barking at the stranger so he doesn't come into your territory.

One other thing. Forget about the idea that we live in a democracy, unless
you consider that money, not opinion, is what matters. So long as someone
is willing to build a house and work for $whatever / hr, when "legitimate"
workers are demanding $whatever+, the person financing the building will
always go with the lesser amount.

Yes, unions had their place in time, but that time is past. They have
succumbed to rampant capitalism, as has, alas, most of our country.

You sound like an isolationist, and that is an absurd notion. We're all one
planet, and need to get along, not bicker over who is better suited to run
things. Remember, there's much more to it than just the folks who make it
here. What about the children working in the Nike factory overseas, or the
guys picking the bananas you put on your cereal? Again, they are cheaper,
so that's where the manufacturers go for their product.

So, put up or shut up. If you really feel this way about the illegal
immigrant problem, put your money where your mouth is. Don't buy the
produce from Mexico, or the shoes that were manufactured in China, or the
vodka from Poland. Just build a garden, grow your own food, mine your own
metals to fashion the tools to cut down your own wood to build your own
house. For if you partake of even one product that was not totally produced
within the confines of this country, you are just being a hypocrit.

"JETman" wrote in message

Libralove wrote:

in article
, JETman at
wrote on 5/24/03 8:32 AM:

animaux wrote:

On Sat, 24 May 2003 07:07:55 -0500, Libralove

wrote:

Well, some one has to construct those Roy Roy, Davenport Ranch,

Seven Oaks
and Bellalago homes for you rich people.

How many legals do you know will put on a roof at high noon in

mid-July here
for $7.50 an hour?

As I can clearly see, people have absolutely no compassion and I'm

slated as
that libral yanquee. Oh well. When we had our pool built, it was

Mexican
men
who broke their backs. I made sure they always had something ice

cold to
drink
and gave them all a nice sized tip at the end. They were shocked. I

'pose
us
yanqueez tip too much.

And as such, you were aiding and abetting illegal activities.

Just wtf is INS doing these days???

The INS? They are trying to keep housing construction going full blast

by
NOT stopping illegal laborers from coming here to build our houses.

Housing
construction is about the only healthy part of the US economy right now.

If they stop them, US housing construction comes to a screeching halt.

Do
you think the fat cats in Washington and the rich here who want a

million
dollar home for $750,000. want them stopped at the border?

Only ignorant right wing middle-class people want them stopped.

Get real, dude.

And you are full of shit up to the tops of your ears.

Only in Texas and other border states is labor in the form of illegal
immigrants as rampant as here in Austin.

It is low interest rates that is driving the housing/refinance market,
not cheap labor. Cheap labor only serves the scummy contractors who
pocket the extra profit as houses are not that much cheaper here than in
other parts of the country where labor costs are much, much higher. Oh,
and while we are at it, those higher priced carpenters pay higher taxes,
have valid drivers licenses and insurance and actually contribute in
many more ways than does illegal labor.

--
Regards,

JT (Residing in Austin, Texas)

Just Tooling Down The Internet Superhighway With my G4.......

Old 26-05-2003, 11:20 PM
JETman

Spam-A-Ram-A wrote:

[...]

Quite a tirade from someone that refuses to accept FACT.

Yep, the same old tired argument that defies common sense, logic, and
the REAL situation.

Now, go back to your little comfy hut in the back yard and pray that I
don't find out who your parents are, cause maybe it time fer a lickin'...

JT

"JETman" wrote in message

Libralove wrote:

in article , JETman at

Old 27-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Spam-A-Ram-A

OK, speaking of tirades, how about some actual information?

Just what are these "facts" to which you refer, this "real situation"?

Please, don't just spew, give some data that can be checked. I'm curious.

BTW, don't have a hut. We're not cruel, the dogs sleep inside at night.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Nell Reynolds

I am a conservative Republican, but I can see that the illegal aliens who
come here work hard. Many of them send much of their paychecks home to
families they can afford to visit only once a year, if that often. They
come here because there is not even the opportunity to make $6 an hour at
backbreaking work in Mexico. They live six or more to a cheap apartment and
walk or take a bus wherever they want/need to go, because most of them
cannot afford a car, even if they pool their money.
People who know the border situation say that we will stop the illegal
immigration only when we raise the economy of Mexico closer to the level of
the US.

Nell S

"JETman" wrote in message

Bill wrote:

"Spike" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Yeah and you will be paying illegals as well. A federal offense I
believe even though our own police department is aiding and abetting
them as well...

JT

Don't know which is worse them or the Yankees coming here!
Spike

Yes. Pretty soon the yankees will want to unionize them, and raise our
taxes for their pension plans and more! For illegals!

I can assure you that THIS yankee might think of unionizing, but
certainly not for illegal immigrants.

What really ****es me off is that the TeeVee stations in all of their
political correctness don't even call them ILLEGAL. And the cops have a
policy of NOT questioning legal status of these workers... A revoltin'
situation if in my not so humble opinion...

Old 01-06-2003, 11:08 PM
crosem

I have recently been seeing quite a few on bicycles!

news | I am a conservative Republican, but I can see that the illegal aliens who

Old 01-06-2003, 11:32 PM
JETman

Why is it OUR responsibility to "raise" the levels of ********s like
Mexico to "be more like the US."

Irrational thinking like this is exactly what has put us in the spot
that we find ourselves.

Get a clue!

JT

Old 02-06-2003, 03:08 AM
JETman

Yep, just change the subject and avoid serious discussion. Another
liberal has struct and is now dispatched...

JT

Old 02-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Mapanari

"Nell Reynolds" babbled and bored us in
news
I am a conservative Republican, but I can see that the illegal aliens
who come here work hard. Many of them send much of their paychecks home
to families they can afford to visit only once a year, if that often.
They come here because there is not even the opportunity to make $6 an
hour at backbreaking work in Mexico. They live six or more to a cheap
apartment and walk or take a bus wherever they want/need to go, because
most of them cannot afford a car, even if they pool their money.
People who know the border situation say that we will stop the illegal
immigration only when we raise the economy of Mexico closer to the level
of the US.

Nell S

Who's "we" Tonto? And I use the name tonto in this case because in spanish
it means "fool".

1. Work hard? Who gives a shit. The slave indians on Catholic missions
worked hard. The jews in the Auschwitz worked hard. I work hard, Americans
are the hardest working western civ country in the world. So what?
Are you really meaning they work at jobs you don't want to do? That's
called economics, simple and pure.

2. Raise the economy of Mexico? And how pray tell would you do that? It's
a ******** country overpopulated with hundreds of millions of breeding
slightly retarded catholics with a horrible failed culture who can run fast
enough to escape their ******** and come north where our superiour culture
and people provide clean water, paved streets and we don't screw our donkeys
on stage for a $10 tip.
You want to send them another trillion dollars of foriegn aid that the
american middle class will have to pay for, so your kids can't go to college
or get health insurance or drugs for sickness? That will never be paid back?
You want more free trade? How much freer than it can be with Mexico
destroying our own tomato industry and hitech moved south and all of our last
clothing manufactures etc left there, and have now left mesko for even
cheaper locals?
You want to become a marxist liberal socialist society and tax every
american 90% of their savings and money and send it to all meskins?

This is not rocket science...see Mexico is blessed just like the USA is with
beautiful arable land, lots of oil, fishing, agriculture and minerals and a
great location and two seas. They've managed to destroy almost all of that.

What have they done with it?
Made tortillas and periodically put each other against the wall and shoot
each other, marry their 12 year old neices and sit around complaining about
the yankis, when they're not sneaking across the border and complaining about
the yankis and their "rights" here.

The only solution to a being next to a horrible failed disgusting culture
like Mexico is what the Irsaelis should do with the arabs; make a big
impermeable fence and plant land mines and only let some honest, hardworking,
non-criminal men only come in through checkpoints with foolproof id cards for
work visas that last only 6 months and massive penalties for being here
illegaly.

Let mexico burn, or starve, or **** themselves into overpopulation oblivioun,
whatever...just keep those hordes of meskins out of USA and sooner or later,
mother nature will take care of the meskin problem in due course, and when
the herd is thinned down there, everything will be so much nicer for them.

mapi

--
When we go to war over religion, we're basically killing each other to
see who's got the better imaginary friend.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Robert

in article , Mapanari at
wrote on 6/1/03 8:05 PM:

[...]

Y'know, I take back what I said the other day... You are unbelievably
disgusting, you know that? I think the world would be a better place without
people like YOU, and **** you if you don't like it.

Ignore me NOW, prick.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 AM
animaux

I wanted to know what spot you were talking about so I could give you a more
informed answer. To me, it appears you are the one avoiding the question.
Maybe if you were more clear and realize I am not a mind reader, you would
answer what "spot" might that be?

Old 06-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Carol Adams

I've held off on commenting on this thread because I've felt that my
sentiments would be unpopular. But, I must say that I find Mapanari's
references to "Meskins" and all of the commentary below (except Nell's)
offensive with respect to how these remarks denigrate Mexicans. If similar
comments were made denigrating women, African Americans, Asians, Russians,
Canadians, Presbyterians, etc., our society as a whole (individual and
special-interest-group exceptions excluded) would find them quite
unacceptable.

Flame me if you want to. I just felt that I had to protest the way some of
the participants in this list characterize people. Like it or not, illegal
Mexican workers in the US are a fact of life. And they are no less human
(perfect/imperfect) than you and I are. They just happen to have a much less
fortunate living situation than we do.

I also think that it's very convenient for us as individuals and for the US
economy in general that these workers are willing to do work that most of us
don't want to do, and to do it for a rate of pay that we would not even
consider. For example, would you want to work in a slaughterhouse? for
minimum wage? not reporting the accidental amputation of your right arm
because you had no medical coverage and were afraid of being deported?

In a related note, interestingly, very few of us don't eat meat.

My $0.02... thanks for listening.

carol

Old 06-06-2003, 12:08 PM
JETman

Carol Adams wrote:

[...]

Ho hum.

Again the typical liberal antidote... Do Nothing!

Well honey, if you can't remove your blinders and seed the truth, may
you just enjoy basking in your ignorance. Or is it stupidity, another
commodity so familiar with liberals?

Every one of your propositions have been debunked more times than I care
to remember so " acceptance" of illegal activity is ok, eh?

Old 06-06-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:02:50 GMT, JETman wrote:

Ho hum.

Again the typical liberal antidote... Do Nothing!

Oh give that banal blather a break. I think you listen to far too much Rush
Limbaugh to actually know what it is to have compassion. Gluttony is not a good
thing.

Well honey, if you can't remove your blinders and seed the truth, may
you just enjoy basking in your ignorance. Or is it stupidity, another
commodity so familiar with liberals?

Again with the liberal comment. Are you a puppet man? Are you THE puppet for
the conservative party? Are you a monkey turning the organ crank? Do you hate
so much that you will stave another human being? Oops, more "liberal" antidote.

Every one of your propositions have been debunked more times than I care
to remember so " acceptance" of illegal activity is ok, eh?

Um, it seems to be that way when it comes to our vice president who fudged his
address to make it look like he's from Montana. Want to explain how he was a
top executive at Brown and Root, but lived in Montana? Oh yeah, then there's
the government contracts his buddies all have now to rebuild Iraq. We are
building hospitals for the Iraqi people. How bouts built some justice in this
country.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Typical political right. Oh,
wassa matter, don't like being called typical? You say there's no such thing?
Hmmm.