Old 13-06-2004, 01:04 PM
GolfNut

Default Deer Trouble

help!! besides a fence...how do i keep the derr from eating my small
trees and plants. i use liquid fence but that is sooo expensive. plus
after a watering or rain, it's all gone.

is there a home remedy...some type of organic tea that i could brew to
put on stuff or around it to keep the deer away. they are even going
after "deer resistant" plants these days.

tw
Old 14-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Scruffy Dog

There may be some special home brew but more than likely it would wash
away as well.

I have heard of success with a big rubber or inflatable snake. A motion
detector that turns on lights seems like it would work, though I don't
know how expensive that would be and the deer might get used to it.
Maybe play a tape of coyotes howling? It shouldn't be too expensive and
wouldn't have to be too loud, I wouldn't think. Then there's an electric
fence?

Alternatively, You could plant something they like better away from your
trees and plants. Maybe they'll fill up before they get to the trees.
Some kind of grass, oats, clover. Then again, this method might attract
more deer.

Alan

Old 14-06-2004, 05:09 AM
Red

I read the label on Liquid Fence and decided that I could do that and more.
I use 5 dozen eggs, two quarts of whole milk, 10 oz of garlic powder. I
have an old egg beater . I beat the eggs and half of the garlic and half of
the milk and then put it in a 5 gal bucket. I add about a pint of Molasses.
Seems the sugar is good for the mix. Then repeat with the rest of the eggs.
Fill the Bucket up to about the 4 gallon level. Put this out in the sun for
a week or two with a cover. You will have to strain this mixture when you
are ready to use it, probably four or five times other wise the garlic will
clog the sprayer. Use two quarts of this mixture in a 2 gallon sprayer
along with a heaping tablespoon of Habanera powder
http://www.redsavina.com/ you can buy it here. Then if you are really
devoted, you can add a chemical which is the main ingredient on a lot to
the repellents. http://12.98.152.21/induspro_test.htm check this out.
This is the main ingredient in Ropel and other repellents. It is $200 for
one Kilo but one tsp is strong enough to be detected in 1000 gals of water.
If you look at the label on the deer repellent you will see that the
concentration is about .05 % the rest is water. I also use a couple of tbs
of Palmolive just for grins. And as long as I am spraying I use an once of
Seaweed to the gallon.

As involved as all of this is, it only helps when conditions are good. When
it dries out and there is not a lot of forage, the deer will eat anything
and everything. During the extend dry period of last year they ate my
prickle pear and everything else. GOOD LUCK

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT "GOOD LUCK" MEANS CHECK OUT

http://www.garagelogic.com/onthenet.htm

from 3 -6 on week days.

Old 14-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Bob

"GolfNut" wrote in message
help!! besides a fence...how do i keep the derr from eating my small
trees and plants. i use liquid fence but that is sooo expensive. plus
after a watering or rain, it's all gone.

is there a home remedy...some type of organic tea that i could brew to
put on stuff or around it to keep the deer away. they are even going
after "deer resistant" plants these days.

I have been fighting them for years - about ready to give up.

Fences don't work unless well over 6 feet high. Just today, I saw a doe in
my back yard jump a six foot fence into my neighbor's yard.

Electric fences don't work. A few years ago, I put an electric fence around
a garden. I used four runs of wire separated about 12 to 14 inches.
Within a week, I saw a deer get onto the fence and get tangled, and the last
I saw of most of the wire, it was trailing behind the deer as it ran off.

When I plant bushes or trees, I put a 4 foot fence around the plant, leaving
room for the plant to grow. I stake it to the ground with 3 or 4 pieces of
3/8 inch rebar (cut to about 3 feet long). I keep the wire about a foot
off the ground so I can mow and trim around it. If the bush/tree limbs
start pushing through the wire, I may add bird netting over them. I leave
this fence up for a few years until the tree is tall enough the deer can't
reach the leaves or the bush is older and less tender (I suppose) and then I
let the deer eat off the lower part they can reach, if they want to.

Sorry, I don't think there is a good answer to your problem except to get
rid of the deer, and I don't know how to do that safely and/or legally.

Bob

Old 14-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:16:34 GMT, "Red" wrote:
(snipped)
I use 5 dozen eggs, two quarts of whole milk, 10 oz of garlic powder.

Red, what does this stuff smell like?

Rusty Mase

Old 21-06-2004, 02:02 PM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

The more logging the more deer are blamed on for the problem. The true
problem is logging federal public land does not increase forest health but
make parts of the once fertile forest to appear as pathogens. We are the
pathogens.

Old 23-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Bill Hawk

John A. Keslick, Jr. wrote:
The more logging the more deer are blamed on for the problem. The true
problem is logging federal public land does not increase forest health but
make parts of the once fertile forest to appear as pathogens. We are the
pathogens.

John,

I would guess you are not in Austin, Texas - what limited cutting of
trees we have in these parts could not be referred to as "logging" under
the best of circumstances.

Clearing cedar and oak for development *may* contribute to the situation
in the manner you suggest, but I don't think any of it is federal public
land.
Old 23-06-2004, 07:07 PM
B.Server

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:26:52 -0400, "John A. Keslick, Jr."
wrote:

The more logging the more deer are blamed on for the problem. The true
problem is logging federal public land does not increase forest health but
make parts of the once fertile forest to appear as pathogens. We are the
pathogens.

"GolfNut" wrote in message
.. .
help!! besides a fence...how do i keep the derr from eating my small
trees and plants. i use liquid fence but that is sooo expensive. plus
after a watering or rain, it's all gone.

is there a home remedy...some type of organic tea that i could brew to
put on stuff or around it to keep the deer away. they are even going
after "deer resistant" plants these days.

tw

Best I can tell, the nearest "federal public land" is around 175-190
miles from here. I rather doubt that the vermin eating my garden are
either refugees from there or that the condition of that federal land
is germane to the issue.

Deer are genetically adapted to heavy predation and fluctuations in
food supply. In a suburb filled with soft-headed bambi lovers and
succulent vegetation that is missing any form of predator other than
the occasional SUV, they will breed until they are thick as flies.

If you have, as I do, a moron living nearby that feeds the damned
things 40# bags of corn, the only answer is venison. Unfortunately,
achieving that is a little hard in suburbia.

Old 23-06-2004, 07:07 PM
GeneS

It's refreshing to read a post where someone has a clear
grasp of reality - nice job.

We live on an old ranch, so we have a fair knowledge of deer
and their habits. IMHO, there is only two ways to insure that
they do not get into your garden, orchard, etc. The first is to erect
a deer fence using the 10' (overall) T posts & 2 3/8" welded steel
braces. This is your run-of-the-mill deer fence you see in the country.
You are probably thinking, "Yeah, gonna build that in a subdivision, right?"
The answer is "YES" - you can. My kids did it in a subdivision in
Georgetown.
They were a bit skeptical at first, but everyone loves it now. No deer, as
well as
dogs, bad guys, etc. can get in. The front (street side) is a 6'+ custom
cedar
design. The deer have not attempted to enter from the front. Here is the key
"Run an
irrigation line around the base of the 8' fence, plant evergreen vines, etc,
& think
of the entire 8' fence as a lush trellis." This design has cured so many
problems,
just use your imagination:-)

The second way, and one of my favorites, is Wick Fowler chili mix.
http://www.foodlocker.com/twoalchilmix.html

Gene
Briggs, TX

wrote:

The more logging the more deer are blamed on for the problem. The true
problem is logging federal public land does not increase forest health

but
make parts of the once fertile forest to appear as pathogens. We are the
pathogens.

.. .

Old 24-06-2004, 01:04 PM
catalina

GolfNut wrote in
:

help!! besides a fence...how do i keep the derr from eating my small
trees and plants. i use liquid fence but that is sooo expensive. plus
after a watering or rain, it's all gone.

is there a home remedy...some type of organic tea that i could brew to
put on stuff or around it to keep the deer away. they are even going
after "deer resistant" plants these days.

tw

Not sure how well this works, and maybe not so well in large areas, but
there is a product called the "scarecrow" it is a motion activated
sprinkler --- I bought one but it was shipped to me broken so I can't tell
you yet how it works. You could always get an outside dog that chases them
away (I discovered that the one I am petsitting at the moment enjoys doing
that.)

Old 24-06-2004, 05:11 PM
GeneS

Hmmm - if you wanted a good reliable way to turn on
a sprinkler with a motion detection device, all you would
have to do is connect a cheap irrigation timer device to a
110V screw-in plug that is in a cheap dual bulb motion sensing light.
The outside motion sensing nightlight device could even turn on a
spotlight, the sprinkler, and a noise making device - all instantly:-)
I have not added up the cost, but I bet it's not much more than $50.
I may be willing to pay to see the excitement!

BTW, if the 24V transformer to the sprinkler water valve will open
with the 110VAC transformer on, then you will not even need the
timer? But for $20, I think I would just get a timer (computer)
and set it to "always on" when 110VAC power is present.

Gene

"catalina" wrote in message
GolfNut wrote in
:

Old 24-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Nancy V. Lynch

well, the famous remedy for keeping deer away is to pee on the ground you
want to warn the deer away from. when i first moved to Texas and learned
that deer could actually be considered pesky, i was pretty amused to read
about a woman who was arrested for habitually trespassing and peeing on
deliberate deer traps hunters set up on their property. good luck.

In article , "GeneS"
wrote:

Hmmm - if you wanted a good reliable way to turn on
a sprinkler with a motion detection device, all you would
have to do is connect a cheap irrigation timer device to a
110V screw-in plug that is in a cheap dual bulb motion sensing light.
The outside motion sensing nightlight device could even turn on a
spotlight, the sprinkler, and a noise making device - all instantly:-)
I have not added up the cost, but I bet it's not much more than $50.
I may be willing to pay to see the excitement!

BTW, if the 24V transformer to the sprinkler water valve will open
with the 110VAC transformer on, then you will not even need the
timer? But for $20, I think I would just get a timer (computer)
and set it to "always on" when 110VAC power is present.

Gene

"catalina" wrote in message
GolfNut wrote in
:

Old 24-06-2004, 06:12 PM
GeneS

That would certainly explain why you never
see deer in beer-joint parking lots ...

wrote:

Hmmm - if you wanted a good reliable way to turn on
a sprinkler with a motion detection device, all you would
have to do is connect a cheap irrigation timer device to a
110V screw-in plug that is in a cheap dual bulb motion sensing light.
The outside motion sensing nightlight device could even turn on a
spotlight, the sprinkler, and a noise making device - all instantly:-)
I have not added up the cost, but I bet it's not much more than $50.
I may be willing to pay to see the excitement!

BTW, if the 24V transformer to the sprinkler water valve will open
with the 110VAC transformer on, then you will not even need the
timer? But for $20, I think I would just get a timer (computer)
and set it to "always on" when 110VAC power is present.

Gene

"catalina" wrote in message
GolfNut wrote in
:

Old 24-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Slinky

hang slivers of stinky deoderant bath detergent bars in old pantyhose
feet. maul occasionally to keep the perfume stink fresh.

install deer fence.

rethink your landscape plan and install stuff the deer won't eat (yes,
virginia, there are plenty of things they won't eat despite your
experience to the contrary).

GolfNut wrote in
:

Old 24-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Mapanari

"GeneS" you babbled and gurglednews:4hCCc.59
:

"catalina" wrote in message
GolfNut wrote in
:

help!! besides a fence...how do i keep the derr from eating my small
trees and plants. i use liquid fence but that is sooo expensive. plus
after a watering or rain, it's all gone.

is there a home remedy...some type of organic tea that i could brew to
put on stuff or around it to keep the deer away. they are even going
after "deer resistant" plants these days.

tw

I suggest you rent "The Trouble with Tribbles" from Star Trek to get a
better idea of how to handle your deer problem.

--
---Mapanari---