Old 30-11-2005, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Impatiens niamniamensis

Just a bit of curiosity - is anyone growing Impatiens niamniamensis outside
all year round, with success? I ask because we had someone buy one the
other day, insistent that, as he lives very near the sea in Torquay, he was
going to try it outside and "if it dies it dies". I like its common name
The Congo Cockatoo!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-11-2005, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Just a bit of curiosity - is anyone growing Impatiens niamniamensis outside
all year round, with success? I ask because we had someone buy one the
other day, insistent that, as he lives very near the sea in Torquay, he was
going to try it outside and "if it dies it dies". I like its common name
The Congo Cockatoo!
--
Sacha

Mine died..................indoors!
Jenny

Old 30-11-2005, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/11/05 11:58, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Just a bit of curiosity - is anyone growing Impatiens niamniamensis outside
all year round, with success?

I've never got around to trying it out, but then in terms of
wow-factor, it is a bit lacking without close inspection. There's a
very, very attractive variegated form, that I've tried to get hold of
for years and which they list at Duchy nurseries, but never seem to
have. Anyone got any influence with them?

Ray knows the past manager - I'll see if he can have a word with him.

I ask because we had someone buy one the
other day, insistent that, as he lives very near the sea in Torquay, he was
going to try it outside and "if it dies it dies".

Well, if he plants it out in winter, it will die. It would need
fairly deep planting to protect dormant buds plus a good autumnal
mulch. Even here will almost certainly want some form of overhead
cover or evergreen shade to minimise the effects of radiational
burning on cold clear nights.

I think we'll have to engineer a meeting one day, David. He's new to
Torquay and is making a new garden. He also picked up a Leonotis leonurus
ad a couple of Pitts the name of which I forget now. It seems he's quite
keen on unusual plants.

My 'New Guinea' Impatiens have just
about struggled through, sited immediately below a canopy of Musella,
but they are teetering on collapse. Niamniamensis is hardier, but its
not in the same league as tinctoria. Nor does it produce the same
huge tubers.

The only place we have I. tinctoria in the garden is outside the cottage and
it comes back every year - so far! We've got the big one in the small double
greenhouse and I think it's the most magical plant. I love those orchid
like flowers and the fabulous scent.

I like its common name
The Congo Cockatoo!

Being a keeper of parrots, I completely fail to see any resemblance to
cockatoos. Since the birds are australasian in origin, white, pink or
grey, pink and white (with the exception of a few black or brown
species) even the colour fails to justify the name. I think it must
be an ill-thought out alliteration by someone who struggled to
enunciate niamniamensis and had never seen a cockatoo.

Probably but it's still a jaunty, cheeky sort of name for the plant!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-11-2005, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
I've never got around to trying it out, but then in terms of
wow-factor, it is a bit lacking without close inspection. There's a
very, very attractive variegated form, that I've tried to get hold of
for years and which they list at Duchy nurseries, but never seem to
have. Anyone got any influence with them?

Yes! I am seeing Tracey the manager in a week or two I will ask, but they
have just had a major fire and are a bit at six's and sevens at the moment
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Well, if he plants it out in winter, it will die. It would need
fairly deep planting to protect dormant buds plus a good autumnal
mulch. Even here will almost certainly want some form of overhead
cover or evergreen shade to minimise the effects of radiational
burning on cold clear nights. My 'New Guinea' Impatiens have just
about struggled through, sited immediately below a canopy of Musella,
but they are teetering on collapse. Niamniamensis is hardier, but its
not in the same league as tinctoria. Nor does it produce the same
huge tubers.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 01-12-2005, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Dave Poole
writes
For a while I had seedlings popping up each spring. So in Torquay at
least it seems as hardy as the common Himalayan balsam (Impatiens
glandulifera) and might even show similar invasive properties. I
understand that Will Giles successfully overwinters it outside in his
Norfolk garden - and their winters are very cold by comparison.

Wil's garden is very well protected and his clever use of planting means
that more delicate plants are always given some protection by those
growing alongside. I haven't been to his garden in Thorpe for some
years - I promised myself I wouldn't go back as I returned home
afterwards and kicked my gate open as I was disgusted that he had this
wonderful garden which put mine to absolute shame - I think that's what
is called Envy!

--
Judith Lea
Old 01-12-2005, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Sacha
writes
Oh no! Not more gold slippers ruined!? ;-)

I had a lovely gold leather pair, I promised myself they would not get
as far as the outside hall - they are now in the garage, alongside the
pristine green wellies and leaning on umpteen gold pairs of slippers;
that, I promise myself, I will hose down and put in the washing machine.
I am still looking for the left one of a pair that is lodged about half
a metre down in heavy clay - I wonder if I could claim on the insurance
for several years of gold slippers.

--
Judith Lea
Old 01-12-2005, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Dave Poole
writes
Very true, but his garden is still very much colder than those on this
side of the country. That said, all credit to him - although I'm not
sure that I would want to go through fad of packing stuff up, hauling
some of it away to overwinter under glass and cladding everything else
in straw stuffed tepees every autumn. Then there is the reverse to
undertake out in spring. That's a huge amount of work.

Absolutely right Dave, he goes to an enormous amount of trouble with his
Palm Trees, and his Bananas could be used as a telephone mast. A local
magazine did a spread on him last year showing the elaborate measures he
takes regarding crating plants and then stuffing them with wadding etc.
I have to admire him for his drive as I would find it onerous to garden
in that way. However,it is well worth a visit to Norwich to see his
garden for which only a small charge is made on entry. Temperature last
night in my garden 4 under freezing - but the Impatiens in an urn in an
outside protected position is still alive - for the moment.

--
Judith Lea

Old 01-12-2005, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 1/12/05 13:53, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
Oh no! Not more gold slippers ruined!? ;-)

I had a lovely gold leather pair, I promised myself they would not get
as far as the outside hall - they are now in the garage, alongside the
pristine green wellies and leaning on umpteen gold pairs of slippers;
that, I promise myself, I will hose down and put in the washing machine.
I am still looking for the left one of a pair that is lodged about half
a metre down in heavy clay - I wonder if I could claim on the insurance
for several years of gold slippers.

When a few centuries have past, someone is going to come across your hoard
and spend hours and hours of academic time, puzzling out what curious tribe
had the ritual of burying gold slippers!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Registered User

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
Just a bit of curiosity - is anyone growing Impatiens niamniamensis outside
all year round, with success? I ask because we had someone buy one the
other day, insistent that, as he lives very near the sea in Torquay, he was
going to try it outside and "if it dies it dies". I like its common name
The Congo Cockatoo!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)
I live in south wales and left my plants out in several areas of the garden. I lost the lot ! . I forgot to take cuttings until it was too late and i can't seem to find it anywhere . If you do try it take plenty of cuttings early. I know it as the PARROT PLANT .