Old 13-01-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

Default not quite a gardening question !

In article , Sacha
writes

Some time ago and thanks to David Poole, I used Agent on my then PC. I
thought it was wonderful. Unhappily there isn't a Mac version. For your
sanity's sake, it might be worth finding a guru who will come to your house,
load Agent onto your computer and give you a short tutorial. I hate and
loathe Google, for example, and won't touch it with a bargepole if I can
help it. Clunky, cumbersome, slow and bossily unco-operative, IMO!

Everyone has their favorite news readers - but I think Turnpike is as
good as any and better than most. Just a shame that they aren't
developing it beyond the current version (except for maybe any security
fixes that are identified). Again, not for Mac though.

--
regards andyw
Old 13-01-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:32:34 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 12/1/06 19:01, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

snip

Sacha, I used to use Agent and have just moved over to a Mac. I have found
Hogwasher works very like Agent but is much better. The more I use it the
more I like it. It isn't free, but you can download a free 60 day trial and
play. When I get to the 60 days, I will definitely buy.

Thanks for that tip - I'd never heard of it so I'll have a look.

It's available from
http://www.asar.com. If you want any more info, feel
free to take it to email - the one I'm posting from does work although I only
check it occasionally.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 13-01-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

I doubt if he did.

Ruppert said and I quote "10/10 for perseverance. Can you now explain
to La puce the differences between Linux and Windows so she can tell
which one she is using (at work or home)".

So I replied Windows, not linux because it is another operating system,
non? ;o)

I said:

OE runs under Windows, yes.

And you said:

Or Linux I was told by the expert Ruppert!

So I replied:

You *MIGHT* be able to run it in Wine under Linux,
but that would be like cooking with Chateau Haut Brion 1970

I'm fixing my OE tomorrow. My IT boy's coming. Lucky me, I know ...

I thought you had a son in the house? And I thought that all childer
knew everything about well, er, everything.

But you still need to access the web. To do that you must use a computer
with an operating system.

I've got my own server Rusty. At work that is.

It doesn't work without an operating system though.

Well, I'd be looking for something a hell of a lot safer to use than OE...

Now he tells me!!! What should I use then?!?

Hmmm. Since you can't use ZIMACS, I'd suggest you look at Thunderbird,
which comes as part of Firefox - both free, and both, BTW, have Linux
versions for when you come over from the Enemy...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 13-01-2006, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

I thought you had a son in the house? And I thought that all childer
knew everything about well, er, everything.

Two sons actually. Angels ) I'm fine at home. I don't want to change
anything. It's at work that I have a probleme with er... you lot it
seems. I'm happy using google beta, though I know I could use OE. So
I'll ask me IT boy when he comes.

It doesn't work without an operating system though.

I've got Professional Windows XP on my server.

Now he tells me!!! What should I use then?!?

Hmmm. Since you can't use ZIMACS, I'd suggest you look at Thunderbird,
which comes as part of Firefox - both free, and both, BTW, have Linux
versions for when you come over from the Enemy...

) My mate downloaded Thunderbird yesterday. He's got mac. I don't see
why I should have two different email system when OE seem to be fine.

Old 13-01-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

) My mate downloaded Thunderbird yesterday. He's got mac. I don't see
why I should have two different email system when OE seem to be fine.

'Seems' is the operative word.

The coding was written by a collection of wunches: to begin with in an
effort to catch up, the official Muco$not line being that 'The Internet
won't catch on'.

When it did, and it was seen by them to have done so, and that it was
growing exponentially, they performed their usual grab for power and
wrote IE and OE to be non-compliant of protocols, and bundled it up in
Windows so that most Windows users would run them as the easiest
options, and that anyone who didn't run them wouldn't get the full
'benefit' of all the eye candy and other unnecessary rubbish they
included.

The script-kiddies soon found that IE and OE were full of holes through
which you could drive an epidemic, let alone a single virus, and this
they proceeded to do.

If you run either (include Outpuke in that too) and aren't really savvy
about these things, your computer will soon become full of scumware. You
won't notice a lot of it, because it will sneak out onto the WWW when
you think in your innocence that you are connecting to a perfectly
legitimate website, which well you may be, and in sneaking out, may post
lots of copies of itself to everyone in your address book, and perhaps,
if you have such in a file on your computer, details of your bank
account, your card(s), numbers, PIN, etc.

You will think that the pop-up messages telling you that you have n
errors in your registry, or system, and to go to some website to get a
fix, are Windows messages, because they are made to look like them. Then
you will either pick up another virus, trojan or worm, or download the
program, for which you will be asked a considerable sum. Of course, it
will pretend to find lots of errors, and offer to fix them. After you've
paid.

In paying, of course, you give them details of your account...

Most of this activity is preventable, but you need to know a bit about
how to do it. I gather from your posts that this is not the case.

So, my advice would be, use Firefox or Opera as a browser, and
Thunderbird as a mail and news client.

Then install a good AV program, and some proper adware and spyware
killers/preventers.

I run AVG, SpyWareBlaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, and
HijackThis, as well as probably the most secure mail and news software
available, Firefox, and Opera.

OE, Outlook and IE are disabled and can't run.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-01-2006, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

I can not understand why you run all this stuff on Linux? Or are you saying
that you actually use Windows?

I run Firefox, Opera and the AV software in Windows, as this (alpha)
mail/newsreader won't run in Wine. (Needs VB.NET)

I run a lot of other things in Linux, and a few in CP/M

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-01-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

'Seems' is the operative word.

) Me, I just scream when something wrong happens and I have, on a
good day, perhaps 14 blokes running to my desk. So far, so good.

(snip horrors)

So, my advice would be, use Firefox or Opera as a browser, and
Thunderbird as a mail and news client.

(snip)

I have Firefox, Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware too. Me and my
army are undestructible.