Old 08-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Thanks to Kay and everyone else for making me welcome. And for explaining how you "work".
I've just spotted the FAQ button on the bar above. I'll take a look at that too.

I'm looking forward to getting answers to all my questions. Hope I'll be able to give a little input too.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire coast, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trin
Before I ask any more gardening questions, I would just like someone to clarify for me the relationship between Garden Banter and this forum(I'm sure I'm not meant to use that word). I found the you through Garden Banter and thought it was part of that site. Is it not? I notice that below my name in a post it says registered user rather than usernet poster.
I started posting here because it made sense to ask questions about gardening in Britain to a British group. If this is a private site or invitation only please accept my apologies.
I'm afraid I tried to read the link about usenet in garden banter. It was called Lost in Usenet..... and I'm still lost
. ........................................

Hi! trin.
I see you are on line. Personally I don't know any of these people, I have
only used the site recently to ask a few questions, and impart a bit of my personal
gardening knowledge where, I thought it might help someone. But it is quite obvious,
as I am sure you have realised by now, that you/we are impinging on the territory of
a bunch of folk who have known each other for some time and have formed a certain cosiness. A totally natural, human characteristic, - we are all the same in this respect
However some particularly insecure people become apprehensive about a newcomer, - who may be potentially disruptive, or who may "steal" their friends affections, - and they will try to make you feel uncomfortable. There is one such
on this page, who can be so disturbed as to become particularly infantile in his comments on the discovery of a newcomer.
The more mature will try to welcome any new blood as a possible
source of additional interest.
For myself, if I wanted social contact, I would go to a social site. I am here solely to increase my gardening knowledge, and couldn't give the proverbial "reservoir"
for personalities good bad or indifferent.
All the best to you
Dave
__________________
Dave
Old 09-06-2006, 06:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

Default Posting in this forum

In message , Michael Crowe
writes
I have told you before. I am spoken for and as such I know it hurts
you. You MUST accept this. I am sorry but ALL the hero worship in the
world will not alter the fact.

pathetic!

dave or stella @ stejonda

Old 09-06-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

trin writes

Thanks to Kay and everyone else for making me welcome. And for
explaining how you "work".
I've just spotted the FAQ button on the bar above. I'll take a look at
that too.

That may be the gardenbanter FAQ.

See if you can see a post in the uk.rec.gardening box that is an 'abc
for newcomers' - I think that tells you where our FAQs are.

I'm looking forward to getting answers to all my questions. Hope I'll
be able to give a little input too.

Questions are input too. They make you think about what you know in
different ways and therefore add to your understanding.

--
Kay
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

Questions are input too. They make you think about what you know in
different ways and therefore add to your understanding.

That is a very valid point Kay, I used to use the question technique in my
lectures. "Why should ......" "What do you think .....". I learnt this when
I was at H.M.S.Collingwood and as a student I learnt a lot off the other
students, thus I applied it later in life when I became a Lecturer :-))

Michael Crowe

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 09-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

I've tried the abc over the last 3 days or so, but when I try the link provided to the FAQ's it says can't connect to server. I was not sure if it was a "my end" problem due to the different way of reading posts
Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

.. However, is not the real world, and
people should know better than get their knickers in a twist over a
comment passed on urg or any other ng. If someone says something which
ruffles your feathers, say so, or better again, make a witty joke of
it, and move on.

Well said ;-))

Michael Crowe FEP

Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Yes I did, thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)
Thank you, that will be a great help. It makes interesting reading too, to hear lots of different ideas.