Old 08-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Registered User

Location: South West UK
Unhappy Posting in this forum

Before I ask any more gardening questions, I would just like someone to clarify for me the relationship between Garden Banter and this forum(I'm sure I'm not meant to use that word). I found the you through Garden Banter and thought it was part of that site. Is it not? I notice that below my name in a post it says registered user rather than usernet poster.
I started posting here because it made sense to ask questions about gardening in Britain to a British group. If this is a private site or invitation only please accept my apologies.
I'm afraid I tried to read the link about usenet in garden banter. It was called Lost in Usenet..... and I'm still lost
Old 08-06-2006, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

Default Posting in this forum

--
trin

In a nutshell, to the 'owners' ie those who have been here for a thousand
years, NO other gardening forum, newsgroup, gardening information media, is
as good as uk.rec.gardening, commonly known as 'urg' and the users therein
known as urglers!!

If you speak your mind, then you will be hounded down and known as a troll,
trouble maker, nasty piece of work etc etc etc, whatever the 'owners' decide
to use at the time.

HOWEVER, you have found one of the most informative sites on gardening, even
"I" have found it useful and I am not a gardener, my wife is :-))))

My hobbies are in my sig and that upsets them toooooooooo ;-((

Michael Crowe

(Oh by the way, to be 'someone' you must post your full name :-))

I am 'somebody' :-))

Now, to see what I mean about 'attacks', sit back and just see the petty
remarks which will now come in :-))

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 08-06-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , trin
writes

Before I ask any more gardening questions, I would just like someone to
clarify for me the relationship between Garden Banter and this
forum(I'm sure I'm not meant to use that word). I found the you through
Garden Banter and thought it was part of that site. Is it not? I notice
that below my name in a post it says registered user rather than
usernet poster.
I started posting here because it made sense to ask questions about
gardening in Britain to a British group. If this is a private site or
invitation only please accept my apologies.
I'm afraid I tried to read the link about usenet in garden banter. It
was called Lost in Usenet..... and I'm still lost

Welcome to urg where you will be warmly looked after by many
knowledgeable gardeners who, in my opinion, are the best on usenet. I
know nothing about garden banter as I only contribute to urg.

However, this is not a private group in any way and some of us have even
met each other. When I was very new to urg, Kay hosted a meet at Leeds
and I had a wonderful time where I was welcomed by everyone and I stayed
overnight with Kay and her "boys". urg is a great place to ask about
anything gardening in the UK. One little word of advice is that there
are FAQs (Frequently asked questions) and a lot of the time, the answers
may be in there which will save you typing your fingers down to the
bone.

Finally, don't worry about making a mistake by asking the same question
twice, in general they are patient and tolerant and treat those like me,
a bit of an idiot in the garden, with enormous respect; they only give
trolls a hard time and rightly so.

--
Judith Lea
Old 08-06-2006, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 8/6/06 09:35, in article , "trin"
wrote:

Before I ask any more gardening questions, I would just like someone to
clarify for me the relationship between Garden Banter and this
forum(I'm sure I'm not meant to use that word). I found the you through
Garden Banter and thought it was part of that site. Is it not? I notice
that below my name in a post it says registered user rather than
usernet poster.
I started posting here because it made sense to ask questions about
gardening in Britain to a British group. If this is a private site or
invitation only please accept my apologies.
I'm afraid I tried to read the link about usenet in garden banter. It
was called Lost in Usenet..... and I'm still lost

Kay's explained it very well in a reply she made to an earlier post of yours
but basically, Garden Banter is a commercial group that lures people in by
'pinching' our posts here and putting them onto its site. GB does none of
the work, it merely plagiarises and quite a few of us object to that. Some
of the people here are professionals (I'm not, I'm married to one) and some
are keen amateurs and some are incredibly experienced and knowledgeable and
we feel it absolutely wrong that this expertise should be 'stolen' in this
way. That is nothing personal against GB posters, by the way, though one
non-gardening trouble making troll here would have you think it is.
I didn't see your other post because at times, my news reader doesn't
deliver them. I think that's the case with quite a few people, so
contributing direct to urg by using something like e.g. Outlook Express and
subscribing to the group through that, means your posts will be seen by
everyone and you will get more answers to any questions you have.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-06-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Judith Lea wrote:
In article , trin
writes

[...]

I think Sacha left out those of us that are stumbling around in the
dark, and are given glimpses of blinding light by the experienced ones.
MC is right and wrong, sooner or later we all upset someone, sometimes
unintentionally, just apologise if you do or ignore the flak, it will go
away.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

snip

I have always found this group to be very kind and helpful even when I
ask a daft question like wot I did re. pyracantha`s, should have known
better but that demonstrates the fact that no one jumped down my throat
and told me off. Stick with us and you will be fine.

kate morgan - a somebody :-)))
Old 08-06-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Michael Crowe" writes:

| In a nutshell, to the 'owners' ie those who have been here for a thousand
| years, NO other gardening forum, newsgroup, gardening information media, is
| as good as uk.rec.gardening, commonly known as 'urg' and the users therein
| known as urglers!!

Well, as one of the first half-dozen posters, I need to point out that
nobody has ever claimed to own the group. But I certainly don't know of
a better forum.

| If you speak your mind, then you will be hounded down and known as a troll,
| trouble maker, nasty piece of work etc etc etc, whatever the 'owners' decide
| to use at the time.

Oh, Mike! Despite your trollish tendencies, we love you dearly. But
I definitely need to point out that you are twaddling, even if not
actually trolling.

| HOWEVER, you have found one of the most informative sites on gardening, even
| "I" have found it useful and I am not a gardener, my wife is :-))))

I agree, and I am one!

| Now, to see what I mean about 'attacks', sit back and just see the petty
| remarks which will now come in :-))

Yes, dear. Whatever you say, dear.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Michael Crowe" wrote
"trin" wrote
Before I ask any more gardening questions, I would just like someone to
clarify for me the relationship between Garden Banter and this
forum(I'm sure I'm not meant to use that word). I found the you through
Garden Banter and thought it was part of that site. Is it not? I notice
that below my name in a post it says registered user rather than
usernet poster.
I started posting here because it made sense to ask questions about
gardening in Britain to a British group. If this is a private site or
invitation only please accept my apologies.
I'm afraid I tried to read the link about usenet in garden banter. It
was called Lost in Usenet..... and I'm still lost
trin

In a nutshell

SNIPPED
Michael Crowe

Take no notice of Mike. he's gets grouchy at times.
URG is a wonderful newsgroup and most people here are helpful and full of
knowledge :~)

Here's some info about newsgroups: http://www.usenet.org.uk/

Welcome and ask away :~)
Jenny

Old 08-06-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Broadback
writes
I think Sacha left out those of us that are stumbling around in the
dark, and are given glimpses of blinding light by the experienced ones.
MC is right and wrong, sooner or later we all upset someone, sometimes
unintentionally, just apologise if you do or ignore the flak, it will
go away.

Sacha is one of the most knowledgeable and likeable people in urg and I
KNOW that if you want any advice about anything to do with gardening she
will answer it and if she doesn't know, she will ask Ray who does.

With regard to your mention of another poster with initials, I'm afraid
that I don't see that poster's posts - through choice.
--
Judith Lea
Old 08-06-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

--
Judith Lea

a 'somebody' :-))

Michael Crowe FEP
Who didn't go to a Convent but knows what Convent girls are :-)))))))

;-)

Old 08-06-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

trin writes

Before I ask any more gardening questions, I would just like someone to
clarify for me the relationship between Garden Banter and this
forum(I'm sure I'm not meant to use that word). I found the you through
Garden Banter and thought it was part of that site. Is it not?

No, uk.rec.gardening is not part of gardenbanter. It existed long before
gardenbanter was even thought of. It will continue to exist even if
gardenbanter folds. Gardenbanter merely copies our posts to its own
site, and redirects your posts to uk.rec.gardening.

I notice
that below my name in a post it says registered user rather than
usernet poster.

You are a registered user of gerdenbanter and are using gardenbanter to
read and post to the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening. I am reading
uk.rec.gardening direct, using software capable of reading newsgroups -
in my case Turnpike.

I started posting here because it made sense to ask questions about
gardening in Britain to a British group.

Indeed!

If this is a private site or
invitation only please accept my apologies.

No this is an open newsgroup (*not* a site) and you are very welcome.

I'm afraid I tried to read the link about usenet in garden banter. It
was called Lost in Usenet..... and I'm still lost

Try an experiment -
go into Google, look at the line above the search box and click on
'groups'
Then enter any word you fancy and click 'search' - that will bring up
posts from newgroups containing your search term - that will give you
some idea of the huge number of newsgroups that are out here
--
Kay
Old 08-06-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Judith Lea

a 'somebody' :-))

Michael Crowe FEP
Who didn't go to a Convent but knows what Convent girls are :-)))))))

;-)

Oh you are awful but we like you, I think :-)))
Old 08-06-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 8/6/06 17:08, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"Michael Crowe" wrote
"trin" wrote
[...]

Mike does not get grouchy at times. Mike is a troll and a petulant and
spiteful one, too. You want to take a look at some of the remarks about him
in other groups he's infested!
There has never been a bad situation on urg since he barged in, that he has
not attempted to make worse and this one is a case in point - a perfect
illustration. Other than yourself, I cannot think of anyone who bothers
with Mike any more on a regular, or even irregular, basis because he has
shown himself in his true and horrible colours far too often. He is
ludicrously and risibly boastful about any subject you care to name into
which he can stick an oar and is a genuine laughing-stock because of it. He
is a liar and he is *exceedingly* malicious. So please don't put any of
that deliberate and calculated nastiness down to 'grouchy', because it is
incredibly misleading.
Even those who have mistakenly cosied up to him when they were newbies and
he was trying to do his "owners of the group won't like YOU" stuff, have
stopped talking to him.
He is also a hyperactive attention-seeker who would rather eat his own
pancreas than go unnoticed and ignored.

URG is a wonderful newsgroup and most people here are helpful and full of
knowledge :~)

There we do agree.

Here's some info about newsgroups:
http://www.usenet.org.uk/

Welcome and ask away :~)
Jenny

And there.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-06-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

Sacha.

I have told you before. I am spoken for and as such I know it hurts you. You
MUST accept this. I am sorry but ALL the hero worship in the world will not
alter the fact.

Please, please, please live with the fact that you cannot have me now,
tomorrow, the next day or EVER.

It is no good being spiteful and saying nasty things. The facts are the
facts.

Michael Crowe
a 'somebody'

Old 08-06-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

Michael Crowe FEP
Who didn't go to a Convent but knows what Convent girls are :-)))))))

;-)

Oh you are awful but we like you, I think :-)))

Of course you do :-))

Michael Crowe FEP