Old 13-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Mike

Default Annual Rainfall

I would like to find out the Annual rainfall, in monthly figures for
Sandown on the Isle of Wight. I have looked at Google and not found it.
Anyone know if this can be found?

Trying to find how big a holding tank needs to be to catch all the rain
off the roof of a new clubhouse of 50 metres x 20 metres.

Water will be used for watering Bowls Green, Football/Cricket pitch etc.

Any 'number crunchers' out there? :-))
Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 13-04-2003, 05:56 PM
David Entwistle

In article , Mike
writes
I would like to find out the Annual rainfall, in monthly figures for
Sandown on the Isle of Wight. I have looked at Google and not found it.
Anyone know if this can be found?

The Met Office can give you a monthly, or annual, rainfall rate map,
which will give a good idea.

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/climate...es/mapped.html

or try newsgroup uk.sci.weather

--
David Entwistle

Old 13-04-2003, 06:57 PM
geoff

?

Trying to find how big a holding tank needs to be to catch all the rain
off the roof of a new clubhouse of 50 metres x 20 metres.

Mike,

The average for the UK is usually taken as about 30 inches (approx 0.75
metres) a year.

This will give an annual volume on the clubhouse roof of approx 750 cubic
metres! The tank will need to be 10 by 10 by 7.5 metres! It might be
better to calculate the volume of water needed during a drought of X days
duration for its tank might be smaller but still meet requirements.

For those who do not know it, the IW has metered water and the domestic cost
is 58.6p per cubic metre without counting the wastewater charge, so Mike's
not talking of saving peanuts if Southern Water charge the same figure for
watering a bowls green.

If a more accurate figure for the average is needed I suggest a letter the
editor of the Isle of Wight County Press.

Regards

Geoff on the Island.

Old 13-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Mike

In article , geoff
writes
?

Trying to find how big a holding tank needs to be to catch all the rain
off the roof of a new clubhouse of 50 metres x 20 metres.

Mike,

The average for the UK is usually taken as about 30 inches (approx 0.75
metres) a year.

This will give an annual volume on the clubhouse roof of approx 750 cubic
metres! The tank will need to be 10 by 10 by 7.5 metres! It might be
better to calculate the volume of water needed during a drought of X days
duration for its tank might be smaller but still meet requirements.

This is why I would like the figure per month because at no time will
the total annual rainfall be in the tank at the same time :-))

For those who do not know it, the IW has metered water and the domestic cost
is 58.6p per cubic metre without counting the wastewater charge, so Mike's
not talking of saving peanuts if Southern Water charge the same figure for
watering a bowls green.

That's not all. I oppose any building in the area which is being built
on virgin ground and that building's rain water is to be sent down the
drain. We have a very serious Storm Water problem in our area and I have
raised many objections. The last objection was for a pair of bungalows,
the previous to that was for 2 blocks of flats. How can I oppose
planning permission with one hand and seek planning permission for
something 'I' am working on with the other hand?

In have a meeting with all the various bodies concerned on 28th April
with regards to the Drainage systems and many more topics besides.

If a more accurate figure for the average is needed I suggest a letter the
editor of the Isle of Wight County Press.

Southern Water will be at this forum so I will take it up with them.
many thanks for your help and advice.

Regards

Geoff on the Island.

So you will know of the old Fairway Football Club Ground development at
Lake. That is what I am involved with. :-))

Old 13-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Mike

In article , Mike
writes
In article , geoff
writes
?

Trying to find how big a holding tank needs to be to catch all the rain
off the roof of a new clubhouse of 50 metres x 20 metres.

Mike,

The average for the UK is usually taken as about 30 inches (approx 0.75
metres) a year.

This will give an annual volume on the clubhouse roof of approx 750 cubic
metres! The tank will need to be 10 by 10 by 7.5 metres! It might be
better to calculate the volume of water needed during a drought of X days
duration for its tank might be smaller but still meet requirements.

Whilst that size tank seems rather large at the moment, if this 'Global
Warming' brings more rain, but higher temperatures, then I will need
more water and more often.

I do have quite a substantial raised area where the tank could go and
with my experience with Marine Electrics, it won't be too hard to fix up
a forced water feed to the taps :-))

In have a meeting

I have a meeting. (Don't know how the 'n' dropped in)

Old 13-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike wrote:
I would like to find out the Annual rainfall, in monthly figures for
Sandown on the Isle of Wight. I have looked at Google and not found it.
Anyone know if this can be found?

Clearly :-) It is roughly 80 cm a year, with little enough monthly
variation that you may as well ignore it. Try your local library and
a decent atlas :-)

Trying to find how big a holding tank needs to be to catch all the rain
off the roof of a new clubhouse of 50 metres x 20 metres.

Water will be used for watering Bowls Green, Football/Cricket pitch etc.

Any 'number crunchers' out there? :-))

Well, yes, and I can do multi-petaflop calculations if needed, but
I don't think that I need to :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:56:53 +0100, Mike wrote:

The average for the UK is usually taken as about 30 inches (approx
0.75 metres) a year.

But varies hugely with area, some places get that much in a couple of
months...

That's not all. I oppose any building in the area which is being
built on virgin ground and that building's rain water is to be sent
down the drain.

Quite right it should go into soakaways or stored and used on the land
(same thing just deferred).

Southern Water will be at this forum so I will take it up with them.
many thanks for your help and advice.

I have a sneaking suspicion that collecting and storing significant
quantities of rain water require an "abstraction" license from the
local water authority.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 13-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Mike

In article . network,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:56:53 +0100, Mike wrote:

Quite right it should go into soakaways or stored and used on the land
(same thing just deferred).

which is what this is for.

I have a sneaking suspicion that collecting and storing significant
quantities of rain water require an "abstraction" license from the
local water authority.

We are not abstracting it. We will be storing it and will be returning
it to the ground at our convenience.

Wonderful story with regards to Water Rates on my first factory. A set
of starter factories were built on some reclaimed marsh land. Rain
water, before building went into the marshes.

Rainwater after the factories were built............ went into the
marshes.

We all move in and received our rates. Fine we expected and accepted
that, but then the water rates turned up which were then calculated on
the rateable value.

"You can have these back we have no water"
(The toilet and washing facilities were in a separate block.)

'But there is the rain water off the roof, have your water rates papers
back'

"The rain water went into the marshes before these units were built and
still does. Have your papers back and cancel them'

By now we have the Enterprise Agency and the local Member of Parliament
interested :-))

'But you have toilet facilities to be dealt with. Have your papers back
and please pay'

"No, the toilet and washroom facilities are still in the hands of the
owner and part of the rent we pay includes the use and cleaning of these
toilets. Have your papers back and go and see the owner"

We did of course win :-))

Old 13-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 21:37:06 +0100, Mike wrote:

I have a sneaking suspicion that collecting and storing significant
quantities of rain water require an "abstraction" license from the
local water authority.

We are not abstracting it.

Hence my use of quotes around the word...

We will be storing it and will be returning it to the ground at our
convenience.

Oh I agree but I'm not so sure the water board will. But it appears
you have been through those hoops before but I still expect them to
try and levy some charge on you.

Old 14-04-2003, 01:08 AM
david

Why not ask the Met office

or your local Coastguard they probably have a weather station.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 14-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Mike

In article . network,
Dave Liquorice writes

We are not abstracting it.

Hence my use of quotes around the word...

I did pick that up and was just confirming :-)

We will be storing it and will be returning it to the ground at our
convenience.

Oh I agree but I'm not so sure the water board will. But it appears
you have been through those hoops before but I still expect them to
try and levy some charge on you.

Your comment above about trying to levy a charge on me set the 'Grey
matter' into gear. I am at the moment battling with the Southern Water
and the Isle of Wight County Council over rainwater being unable to
enter the sewers during a flash flood. The 2 houses opposite me have
been flooded to above floor board level, 4 times in the last 16 years.
Isle of Wight Council say its a Southern Water Board problem, they in
turn say it's the Council's problem. After threatening 'substantial
claim' possibilities if they don't sort it out, I have at last got them
to alter the roadway and pavements to take the water away instead of
pouring down driveways and thence into their houses.

BUT, as they both admit that the sewers themselves are not big enough,
and that they are soon to undertake a large Sewer replacement scheme, (I
have a meeting with relevant parties on 28th April), I will be doing
them a favour by storing the water instead of even more water pouring
into their sewers at a time when they admit themselves, are unable to
cope.

I will therefore levy a charge on them for holding their rain water as
it falls and returning it to the water table for their extraction later.

Old 14-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:12:26 +0100, Mike wrote:

The 2 houses opposite me have been flooded to above floor board
level, 4 times in the last 16 years. Isle of Wight Council say its a
Southern Water Board problem, they in turn say it's the Council's
problem.

Nice bit of buck passing. B-) I think I'd argue that until the water
disappears into a drian it is "surface water" and the councils
problem, once in a drain/sewer it is "storm water" and the water
boards problem. If is subsequently comes back up out of drain it's
still the water boards problem.

I will therefore levy a charge on them for holding their rain water
as it falls and returning it to the water table for their extraction
later.

I do like your thinking. B-)

Old 14-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello All

I have SNIPPED the background stuff, because it was getting a bit long.

I suggest that Geoff tries to find the local amateur weather recorders. There
are quite a lot of them around. I do a "Gardening Column" in our local free
monthly magazine, and I include weather statistics in the column getting the
data from a local recorder. I could give you monthly figures for the last 5
years, but I reckon the figures for the Isle of Wight will be rather
different to my spot in East Anglia.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England
Old 14-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Mike

In article . network,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:12:26 +0100, Mike wrote:

The 2 houses opposite me have been flooded to above floor board
level, 4 times in the last 16 years. Isle of Wight Council say its a
Southern Water Board problem, they in turn say it's the Council's
problem.

Nice bit of buck passing. B-) I think I'd argue that until the water
disappears into a drian it is "surface water" and the councils
problem, once in a drain/sewer it is "storm water" and the water
boards problem. If is subsequently comes back up out of drain it's
still the water boards problem.

Quite agree :-))

It was this tooing and froing which annoyed the 2 households concerned.
It was only when I,

A) Wrote to both of them explaining the problem and where it originated
and copied letters to each.

B) Videod the water pouring down the gutter, unable to get into the
drain and pouring into the houses opposite AND the water pouring "OUT"
of the manhole in the middle of the road

C) Made a representative from each organisation come and sit in my
lounge whilst I played the video, that they then realised I wasn't
talking out of my backside and that I had a case against both of them.

They are now talking to each other and work 'should' have started to
raise the pavements and lower a hump in the road as a stop gap measure.
I have a meeting with them on April 28th :-))

I will therefore levy a charge on them for holding their rain water
as it falls and returning it to the water table for their extraction
later.

I do like your thinking. B-)

Thank you for putting the idea in my mind :-)) I hadn't thought of any
levy either way or the other :-)

Old 14-04-2003, 03:32 PM
andyp

Mike, just curious as my father looks after a local bowls green. The amount
of water used to water a bowls green (not to mention football and cricket
pitch) would empty even a 750 cubic metre tank very quickly.

With the high cost of the tank do you really think you will be saving very
much?
How will you get sufficient pressure to supply your sprinklers?

I would be very interested to know any conclusions from your research as my
father's club are always looking for ways of saving money as well.

Regards
AndyP