Old 15-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Cutting Leylandi

"David" wrote in message
In article , Paul Kelly
writes

to plant any trees at all

Nowt wrong with appropriate trees for the spot available!

Unfortunately it appears to have to be your version of appropriate
though

If I were a lone voice on this, I'd defer. But I'm not and this was yet
another instance of inappropriate planting of leylandii that has given the
current owner a real problem.

Leylandii are the bain of many peoples lives and the sooner the proposed law
restricting their use is passed the better.

pk

Old 15-04-2003, 12:44 AM
bnd777

Dont know how many trees your talking about but £1000 really does seem a
steep quote get some more
"Charlie" wrote in message

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message
Ideally hand and knees hands cut them off at ground level!

Not an option - as I said before, we're next to a noisy pub!

Best advice on how? Get a tree surgeon in! They will not charge much,

you
do
not risk life and limb and they take away the dross.

Any other tips? We were quoted around £1000 last time we asked I believe,
way to much money for something that is doable!

Charlie.

Old 15-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Essjay001

Paul Kelly scribbled:

Nowt wrong with appropriate trees for the spot available!

Unfortunately it appears to have to be your version of appropriate
though

If I were a lone voice on this, I'd defer. But I'm not and this was
yet another instance of inappropriate planting of leylandii that has
given the current owner a real problem.

I woud have thought that a 15 ft high Leylandii barrier between a house and
a pub was "appropriate". Charlie may find she regrets the decision later.

Given that Charlie is only 18 going on 17 I would tend to ask do the trees
belong to her or is she a student renting. If so the landlord might be a pit
****ed off when he can't rent next year because cutting the trees has
removed the privacy that they were planted for. Just a thought!

Leylandii are the bain of many peoples lives and the sooner the
proposed law restricting their use is passed the better.

The government seem to be draging their heels with that one.

Steve R

Old 15-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Paul Kelly

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Paul Kelly scribbled:

Nowt wrong with appropriate trees for the spot available!

Unfortunately it appears to have to be your version of appropriate
though

If I were a lone voice on this, I'd defer. But I'm not and this was
yet another instance of inappropriate planting of leylandii that has
given the current owner a real problem.

I woud have thought that a 15 ft high Leylandii barrier between a house

and
a pub was "appropriate". Charlie may find she regrets the decision later.

There are other things which provide far more decorative and less
problematic screening and which do not need access with power trimmers at 15
ft height just to keep them in control.

As I type, I'm looking out at an Azara dentata 15/18feet tall, Evergreen,
medium dense screen at height without dominating either garden, just about
to burst into magnificent and fragrant bloom. A line of those would do a
better job than Leylandii. and get to the 15 ft height in about the same
time. Better still an alternate line of A.serrata and A.dentata would give
and extended flowering season well into summer

pk

Old 15-04-2003, 07:20 PM
hayley

I just cut our Leyland hedge, it was about 12 foot, I cut it down to about
ten by standing on a ladder with shears/pruners. We have about 10 trees. It
took about an hour. It helps if you have someone to hold the ladder. (And I
wish I'd worn gloves - they can be scratchy.)
Hayley

Old 15-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Mike

In article , bnd777
writes

especially if they are no longer spring chicken

Never was a 'Spring Chicken', and now as an 'Old Crowe' I have been
advised by the Doc not to climb ladders, so if Hayley wants to finish
off painting the side of the house whilst she is here ....... ;-)

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 15-04-2003, 10:44 PM
David

In article , Paul Kelly
writes

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Paul Kelly
writes

to plant any trees at all

Nowt wrong with appropriate trees for the spot available!

Unfortunately it appears to have to be your version of appropriate
though

If I were a lone voice on this, I'd defer. But I'm not and this was yet
another instance of inappropriate planting of leylandii that has given the
current owner a real problem.

Yes of course there's Barry as well

Leylandii are the bain of many peoples lives and the sooner the proposed law
restricting their use is passed the better.

Actually the law won't just apply to Leylandii, even hedgeline refers to
a number of cases that are not Leylandii, that the trouble with you
extremists you twist things around.
--
David
Old 16-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Paul Kelly

"David" wrote in message
In article , Paul Kelly
writes
Actually the law won't just apply to Leylandii, even hedgeline refers to

a number of cases that are not Leylandii, that the trouble with you
extremists you twist things around.

I note the absence of a smiley, so have no qualms at telling you to sod off

pk

Old 16-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Charlie

I woud have thought that a 15 ft high Leylandii barrier between a house

and
a pub was "appropriate". Charlie may find she regrets the decision later.

Well, I live with my Dad and he owns the house. We've owned the house for
16 years and these were planted about 6 months before we moved in. You
don't need a 16ft barrier between two properties, even if one is a pub - a
7ft one is fine! Around 25% of our garden is blocked by shade by these
trees, including our greenhouse and our fruit bushed (which still seem to do
remarkable well, even if they are 15 year old black current and
loganberries!). Trust me, we WILL NOT regret cutting these awful trees
down! They're currently also pushing over our boundary fence with the pub,
almost allowing our dogs to escape.

The sooner they bring laws in governing these terrible trees, the better!

Charlie.

---

Old 16-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Paul Kelly

"Charlie" wrote in message

The sooner they bring laws in governing these terrible trees, the better!

And there speaks a Leylandii owner!

pk

Old 16-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Essjay001

Charlie scribbled:

Well, I live with my Dad and he owns the house. We've owned the
house for 16 years and these were planted about 6 months before we
moved in. You don't need a 16ft barrier between two properties, even
if one is a pub - a 7ft one is fine! Around 25% of our garden is
blocked by shade by these trees, including our greenhouse and our
fruit bushed (which still seem to do remarkable well, even if they
are 15 year old black current and loganberries!). Trust me, we WILL
NOT regret cutting these awful trees down! They're currently also
pushing over our boundary fence with the pub, almost allowing our
dogs to escape.

The sooner they bring laws in governing these terrible trees, the
better!

Charlie.

Thats a more complete story,.
Can't understand why you waited so long.

Old 16-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Charlie

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Thats a more complete story,.
Can't understand why you waited so long.

They've never bothered us till now! We've only over the last two eyars or
so been more active in our garden and it's finally got to the point where
damage is being done. Before they were fine, they just stopped the
occasional bottle whizzing over. The pubs been taken over by a nice family
(who I hope to start working for) who are still noisy, but the don't seem to
attract the same sort of semi-violent-during-the-world-cup-season crowd!

Charlie.

---

Old 16-04-2003, 08:56 PM
bnd777

Congratulations Charlie for recognising the difficulties these trees create
........you simply will not know the place when they are gone everything will
be so glad of the light and the freedom of the root encroachment
Pile in the compost though after cos Leylandi double strip all nutrients
from the soil

Leylandi swampydrill Gardening 0 24-05-2007 09:15 PM
what plants will grow in leylandi soil? ambermeta United Kingdom 10 11-08-2004 09:59 AM
Leylandi Juco United Kingdom 9 28-06-2004 10:13 PM
in defense of leylandi hayley United Kingdom 7 16-04-2003 10:56 PM
Advice sought on employing tree surgeon to lop Leylandi Simon United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 06:08 PM