Old 25-09-2006, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Reprise of Devon meet idea

June was quite right, I was indeed sipping a glass of Madeira m'dear when
some of the replies to my original post about this came into urg. From the
little catching up I've had time to do today, I think the general thinking
is now to move the possible meet to Judith's? In case it isn't, and we
decide to have two, then yes, Janet, I think three hours from you to us
should just about do it. We allow 3 to 3.5 hours to get to London from here
by car and Jim (I think it was Jim) Bovey Tracey is mere minutes from here -
20 perhaps and Exeter airport (just to give you a bearing) is about half an
hour. We just drove home from there this morning!
Can someone kindly bring me up to speed on the Norwich meet idea?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-09-2006, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
June was quite right, I was indeed sipping a glass of Madeira m'dear when
some of the replies to my original post about this came into urg. From the
little catching up I've had time to do today, I think the general thinking
is now to move the possible meet to Judith's? In case it isn't, and we
decide to have two, then yes, Janet, I think three hours from you to us
should just about do it. We allow 3 to 3.5 hours to get to London from here
by car and Jim (I think it was Jim) Bovey Tracey is mere minutes from here -
20 perhaps and Exeter airport (just to give you a bearing) is about half an
hour. We just drove home from there this morning!
Can someone kindly bring me up to speed on the Norwich meet idea?

Welcome back Sacha, I have missed you. Now then, you are not getting
out of the Devon meet, I proposed a second one - and you are, as you
know, very welcome to stay in the house - plenty of rooms.

I am thinking next June or early July and all those attending will be
invited to dinner - no Sacha, I have not learnt to cook yet, I am
offering Edward as the Chef for the night, I am quite adept as the wine
hostess.

--
Judith Lea
Old 25-09-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/9/06 14:57, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
[...]

How really kind - I'm sure we'd love to do that. Ray is longing to thank
you for the wedding present....... ;-)

I am thinking next June or early July and all those attending will be
invited to dinner - no Sacha, I have not learnt to cook yet, I am
offering Edward as the Chef for the night, I am quite adept as the wine
hostess.

Depending a bit on other family events coming up, we'd probably try to do a
meet in mid July OR, if it clashes with yours, I could try to move it into
May, as long as it doesn't hit a Bank Holiday w/e. It's really a question
of what is convenient to others in terms of trekking to the far SW!
We weren't able to do our Grand Tour of UK this year as we'd hoped, so would
quite like to plan it for mid July to mid August of next year. Unhappily,
we really can't get away to see gardens at their very best time because it's
such a busy time here.
Perhaps urglers would like to add their ideas of the best times to get away
to a meet and perhaps to make it part of a long w/e?

Old 25-09-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Perhaps urglers would like to add their ideas of the best times to get
away
to a meet and perhaps to make it part of a long w/e?
--
Sacha
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

As long as we are not cruising, we are open to any time :-))

Mike 'n' Joan

Old 25-09-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 25/9/06 14:57, in article
[...]

Dependant on the date you decide on, we would be happy to see any urglers
who decided to make more of a break of it and venture down a little further.
I am guessing you normally go for a weekend so we may be off working but if
not would like to join in, though no chance of us getting away at that time
of year (unless its work!) I will keep an eye on the thread to see what you
all decide on. (7th & 8th July look quiet at present)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-09-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

.. (7th & 8th July look quiet at present)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Looks good to me :-))

7th 8th July pencilled in :-))

Mike 'n' Joan

Old 25-09-2006, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/9/06 17:28, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 25/9/06 14:57, in article
[...]

For us, it will depend a bit on the date of the Devon show but that's
usually May. We *might* do the Royal Cornwall next year but no decision
yet.
Certainly week days are 'easier' for us but probably not for many urglers,
is my guess. Those wishing to come could perhaps do what some did last time
and make it a bit of a holiday break. That way, they could come here one
day and on to you the next, taking in the Eden Project, perhaps? And of
course, there's Rosemoor up north a bit and now Greenway is open to the
public, too.
A sort of 'two for the price of one' sounds a good idea, Charlie. And the
really keen with time to spare could take a day to Tresco, too and visit the
Abbey Gardens there.
Thinking along those lines I'd like to recommend the 'places to stay' books
by Alastair Sawday to those who don't know them.

Old 25-09-2006, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Judith Lea
writes

I am thinking next June or early July and all those attending will be
invited to dinner - no Sacha, I have not learnt to cook yet, I am
offering Edward as the Chef for the night, I am quite adept as the wine
hostess.

If it's any help, we all brought something to Jill Bell's when she had a
Meet. That way there was variety and though Jill did cook she didn't
feel obliged to do enough for everyone
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-09-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

yes, Janet, I think three hours from you to us
should just about do it. We allow 3 to 3.5 hours to get to London from here
by car

We did go to Bodmin for the day once, that took AGES on the motorways!

Old 25-09-2006, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

That way, they could come here one
day and on to you the next, taking in the Eden Project, perhaps? And of
course, there's Rosemoor up north a bit and now Greenway is open to the
public, too.

Our gardening Association is doing Devon next year for the long weekend.
They are going to The Garden House, ChiffChaffs, Buckland Monarchorum,
Plant World, Desert to Jungle, Snape Cottage and Stourton Flower garden.

Janet

Old 26-09-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

If it's any help, we all brought something to Jill Bell's when she had
a Meet. That way there was variety and though Jill did cook she didn't
feel obliged to do enough for everyone

Really, there's no need, Edward worked and lived in Paris for many years
and he is a great cook. I expect you will have Blanquette d'Veau as he
seems to serve this up for supper - he has perfected the sauce!

Janet, I don't know how to thank you, a veritable crate arrived this
morning full of cuttings; I really cannot express my thanks to you. I
will pot some up and take them to France in November and the others
will be planted soon.

I have to pay your postage, the box was so big I could get at least 3
pairs of gold slippers in it? Please send me your address by email and
I will forward you stamps to the value of the postage.

I can't wait until this evening to go through them, Edward has strict
instructions to give them a little water and to keep them upright!

--
Judith Lea
Old 26-09-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:57:59 +0100, Judith Lea wrote
(in article ):

In article , Sacha
writes
[...]

Well, throwing my hat in the ring, as it were, we would love to go to a meet,
and could manage Sacha's since I have a cousin at South Zeal where we could
stay I'm sure. Would also love to go to Judith's g but I think the journey
is more of a problem for us to Norfolk.

However I will watch this space to see what dates etc are decided.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Old 26-09-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article et, Sally
Thompson writes

Well, throwing my hat in the ring, as it were, we would love to go to a meet,
and could manage Sacha's since I have a cousin at South Zeal where we could
stay I'm sure. Would also love to go to Judith's g but I think the journey
is more of a problem for us to Norfolk.

However I will watch this space to see what dates etc are decided.

Norfolk shouldn't be a problem, you can stay the night, now how many
rooms is that I have given to prospective urglers? uhm! o.k. so I'm in
the garage

--
Judith Lea

Devon urg meet Sacha United Kingdom 2 16-05-2007 07:36 PM
Cleavers - a reprise Sacha United Kingdom 4 27-08-2006 02:25 PM
ingenious idea, or terribly stupid idea? Bob Texas 6 10-03-2005 12:41 AM
christmas gift reprise Christopher J Barown Orchids 5 03-02-2005 02:39 PM
[IBC] Fw: Kilns in Japan: Reprise, another interesting tidbit dalecochoy Bonsai 0 11-02-2003 03:55 PM