Old 27-10-2006, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message

I find yellow and orange plants disconcerting, love cottagey
plants but
tropical stuff never appeals.
Janet Tweedy

LOL :~)
I love all colours except pale ones, and tropical really does it

for
me !!
I hate tidy, regimented gardens, topiary, box hedging and lawns!

I hate tidy gardens too but I can't quite see the connection to
tropical plants in not liking tidy gardens.

Tropicaltidy ?

Not sure what the symbols mean but there are some tropical gardens
that are as tidy and as neat as the trimmed box hedges style in
temperate gardening.

Oh sorry!
different from each other .......
Jenny

Old 28-10-2006, 02:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message

I have a love of all 'weird' plants, so I have to admit to owning

'blue'
rose :~)

But it's in your garden not mine, so I can live with that. :-))

It's actually a sort of washed out purple .....
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/fotos...20Blue%203.JPG

Thanks for that link. It's an interesting colour and doesn't look at
all blue (and I would consider it if it was that colour here). The
quality of light is very differnet in the UK to my garden and plants
that can look good in the UK can look ghastly under our stronger more
glaring light.

Old 28-10-2006, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

I have a love of all 'weird' plants, so I have to admit to owning

'blue'
rose :~)

But it's in your garden not mine, so I can live with that. :-))

It's actually a sort of washed out purple .....
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/fotos...20Blue%203.JPG

Thanks for that link. It's an interesting colour and doesn't look at
all blue (and I would consider it if it was that colour here). The
quality of light is very differnet in the UK to my garden and plants
that can look good in the UK can look ghastly under our stronger more
glaring light.

Don't rub it in, we are all about to go into hibernation!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-10-2006, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Thanks for that link. It's an interesting colour and doesn't look at
all blue (and I would consider it if it was that colour here). The
quality of light is very differnet in the UK to my garden and plants
that can look good in the UK can look ghastly under our stronger more
glaring light.

Don't rub it in, we are all about to go into hibernation!

We're in the best time of year! Apples dripping from the trees, berries
everywhere, beautiful fungi in the woods, all those gorgeous red and
orange colours. And yet already you can see the bulbs emerging and buds
appearing ready for spring
--
Kay
Old 28-10-2006, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Charlie Pridham writes

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Thanks for that link. It's an interesting colour and doesn't look at
all blue (and I would consider it if it was that colour here). The
quality of light is very differnet in the UK to my garden and plants
that can look good in the UK can look ghastly under our stronger more
glaring light.

Don't rub it in, we are all about to go into hibernation!

We're in the best time of year! Apples dripping from the trees, berries
everywhere, beautiful fungi in the woods, all those gorgeous red and
orange colours. And yet already you can see the bulbs emerging and buds
appearing ready for spring

I shall be glad when the apples are all done. Gave my dog
pancreatitis
--
June Hughes

Old 28-10-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

I have a love of all 'weird' plants, so I have to admit to owning

'blue'
rose :~)

But it's in your garden not mine, so I can live with that. :-))

It's actually a sort of washed out purple .....
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/fotos...20Blue%203.JPG

Thanks for that link. It's an interesting colour and doesn't look at
all blue (and I would consider it if it was that colour here). The
quality of light is very differnet in the UK to my garden and plants
that can look good in the UK can look ghastly under our stronger more
glaring light.

Its the Dutch light........I'm in Holland :~)
jenny

Old 28-10-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Thanks for that link. It's an interesting colour and doesn't look at
all blue (and I would consider it if it was that colour here). The
quality of light is very differnet in the UK to my garden and plants
that can look good in the UK can look ghastly under our stronger more
glaring light.

Don't rub it in, we are all about to go into hibernation!

We're in the best time of year! Apples dripping from the trees, berries
everywhere, beautiful fungi in the woods, all those gorgeous red and
orange colours. And yet already you can see the bulbs emerging and buds
appearing ready for spring
--
Kay

I am with you on the garden, mine is looking pretty good at present if a
little dank! I just thought there was a smidgeon of crowing going on about
the light levels (which you must admit get steadily worse till Christmas)

Old 29-10-2006, 03:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

The
quality of light is very differnet in the UK to my garden and

plants
that can look good in the UK can look ghastly under our stronger

more
glaring light.

Don't rub it in, we are all about to go into hibernation!

:-)) Well to cheer you up later in your hibernation, I promise I'll
post sometime in late Jan, early Feb, about gardening in 40+ C heat
under an unrelenting and intensely dehydrating sun and being eaten
alive by bush flies with the hot dry wind making my tomatoes shrivel
to a crisp and the grasshoppers yet again ravaging the land :-))

Old 29-10-2006, 03:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

The
quality of light is very differnet in the UK to my garden and

plants
that can look good in the UK can look ghastly under our stronger

more
glaring light.

Don't rub it in, we are all about to go into hibernation!

We're in the best time of year! Apples dripping from the trees,

berries
everywhere, beautiful fungi in the woods, all those gorgeous red and
orange colours. And yet already you can see the bulbs emerging and

buds
appearing ready for spring

"Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness...."

Autumn is my favourite time of the year.

Old 29-10-2006, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

The
quality of light is very differnet in the UK to my garden and

plants
that can look good in the UK can look ghastly under our stronger

more
glaring light.

Don't rub it in, we are all about to go into hibernation!

:-)) Well to cheer you up later in your hibernation, I promise I'll
post sometime in late Jan, early Feb, about gardening in 40+ C heat
under an unrelenting and intensely dehydrating sun and being eaten
alive by bush flies with the hot dry wind making my tomatoes shrivel
to a crisp and the grasshoppers yet again ravaging the land :-))

Fair enough! I have down in Cornwall a very flat climate temperature wise,
never very hot and never very cold, but I like the rest of the country
cannot escape the Latitude which means less light than I would like in
winter :~)
PS I generally cheer up after Christmas when the days start to lengthen
again!

Old 29-10-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie Pridham
writes

[...]

I get really depressed from lack of daylight in November (particularly
when I've missed the whole summer being stuck at the computer) and cheer
up after Christmas too. I think I would cheer up even more if I lived in
Cornwall ... it's such a magic place! I compromise by saving happy sunny
photos to use as screensavers...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 29-10-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote

I get really depressed from lack of daylight in November (particularly
when I've missed the whole summer being stuck at the computer) and cheer
up after Christmas too. I think I would cheer up even more if I lived in
Cornwall ... it's such a magic place! I compromise by saving happy sunny
photos to use as screensavers...
Klara, Gatwick basin

Here are 4864 to cheer you (and everybody else) up a bit :~))
http://www.fotolia.com/tag/sunny

And for the 'tropical' lovers:
http://www.graphicsforums.com/spotli...ge.asp?id=1803

Jenny

Old 29-10-2006, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

"Klara" wrote

I get really depressed from lack of daylight in November (particularly
when I've missed the whole summer being stuck at the computer) and cheer
up after Christmas too. I think I would cheer up even more if I lived in
Cornwall ... it's such a magic place! I compromise by saving happy sunny
photos to use as screensavers...
Klara, Gatwick basin

Here are 4864 to cheer you (and everybody else) up a bit :~))
http://www.fotolia.com/tag/sunny

And for the 'tropical' lovers:
http://www.graphicsforums.com/spotli...ge.asp?id=1803

Jenny

Mmmm - feeling toasty warm already!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 29-10-2006, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote
I get really depressed from lack of daylight in November (particularly
when I've missed the whole summer being stuck at the computer) and
cheer up after Christmas too. I think I would cheer up even more if I
lived in Cornwall ... it's such a magic place! I compromise by saving
happy sunny photos to use as screensavers...

I always dread winter too, and hate it when the clocks change. Early
sunsets just make it feel worse.

It's been really pleasantly warm here today, though - if only it would
last a bit longer. Hope you all saw some sunshine as well.

--
Sue

Old 29-10-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Klara" wrote
I get really depressed from lack of daylight in November (particularly
when I've missed the whole summer being stuck at the computer) and
cheer up after Christmas too. I think I would cheer up even more if I
lived in Cornwall ... it's such a magic place! I compromise by saving
happy sunny photos to use as screensavers...

I always dread winter too, and hate it when the clocks change. Early
sunsets just make it feel worse.

But are you not prepared for it? It happens every year and there is nothing
you can do about it. Just accept it :-))

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk