Old 05-12-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pronunciation

"David Rance" wrote after Bob Hobden wrote:

"Farm1" wrote
Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they pronouce
tinus?

My book on plant name Latin says... teen-us

In which case it should be Veeburnum Teenus!

Correct. With the long i pronunciation as in keen not the short i as in tin.

So in Latin it's correctly ... Vee-bur-num teen-us ... according to my book.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 05-12-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:43:14 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"David Rance" wrote after Bob Hobden wrote:

"Farm1" wrote
Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they pronouce
tinus?

My book on plant name Latin says... teen-us

In which case it should be Veeburnum Teenus!

Correct. With the long i pronunciation as in keen not the short i as in tin.

So in Latin it's correctly ... Vee-bur-num teen-us ... according to my book.

By the same token, and according to my Latin dictionary, Pinus (as in
P. sylvestris, etc.) should be pronounced Peenus, which leads into
very dangerous territory with pronunciations such as Peenus contorta
or Peenus parviflora Adcock's Dwarf.

I think I'll stick with Pie-nus!

--
Chris

Old 05-12-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You say teenus, I say Tienus
You say tinus i say thank goodness for the English language, and
weather, It is what keeps folks talking round here.

Just think trhe subjects which have maintained the longest threads have
beenn weather, pronunciation and grammar.
As in mild autumns, teenus/tinus/tienus. and its, it's, it is and the use of
the apostophe..

Now back to gardening, here in West Midlands last night the temperature
climbed to 14 degrees C now for time of year that is positively tropical.
Global warming would be welcome if it wasnt for the High blustery winds we
have had for several days now, which have just about demolished a wooden
arch which had been up for about 12 years, only held in place now by
clematis and honeysuckle either side.
Another job for me next year
regards
Cineman

Old 05-12-2006, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote in message
. uk...
Now back to gardening, here in West Midlands last night the temperature
climbed to 14 degrees C now for time of year that is positively tropical.
Global warming would be welcome if it wasnt for the High blustery winds we
have had for several days now,
Cineman

Agreed. As from now it looks like we will be discusing the onset of the
first High winds rather than the first frosts.
It's all rather daft at the moment--Bananas still growing outside in
December--in Bloomin Yorkshire.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote after
"cineman"
Now back to gardening, here in West Midlands last night the temperature
climbed to 14 degrees C now for time of year that is positively tropical.
Global warming would be welcome if it wasnt for the High blustery winds
we have had for several days now,
Cineman

Agreed. As from now it looks like we will be discusing the onset of the
first High winds rather than the first frosts.
It's all rather daft at the moment--Bananas still growing outside in
December--in Bloomin Yorkshire.

and Hedgehogs still eating the cats leftover breakfast.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 05-12-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote after
"cineman"
Now back to gardening, here in West Midlands last night the temperature
climbed to 14 degrees C now for time of year that is positively
tropical. Global warming would be welcome if it wasnt for the High
blustery winds we have had for several days now,
Cineman

Agreed. As from now it looks like we will be discusing the onset of the
first High winds rather than the first frosts.
It's all rather daft at the moment--Bananas still growing outside in
December--in Bloomin Yorkshire.

and Hedgehogs still eating the cats leftover breakfast.

Hi Bob,

Its difficult time for hedgehogs at moment they should be well into
hibernation now, ( I am jealous) instead they are still to be seen at night
foraging. This year some seem to have had a second litter rather late, and
the young have had very little time to pile on the ounces ( or should that
be Kilos) If they are seen during daylight hours they are obviously in
trouble so please do look after them ( bread and milk is bad for hedgehogs)
and contact one of the tiggywinkles places for advice or look at this site
http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

Last spring I was leaving out cat food for the hedgehogs as they were
awakening, only to find our local fox, who lives at bottom of garden was
eating it all, what s/he did leave the rats from over the field finished up.
I cannot win...

regards
Cineman
P S My rosemary is still flowering.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking

about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all

these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they

pronouce
tinus?

Many people say TYnus which is probably "wrong" and is a very

Anglophone
pronunciation;
I would have said it that way until I went to Italy and lived in

Germany for
a while and became pretentious
and now I would say TINNus or maybe TEEnus but I think the former is
probably more accurate.
All that really matters is that you say it the same as all yer

friends; no
one really pronounces these names very accurately anyway.
In Germany, the pronuncaition of the latin name for Pine tree

(Pinus) always
raised a few schoolboy titters in sad English speaking
lads who had watched too many Benny Hill shows.

How about lichen?
Some same litchen but I always found liken to be much more manly and
forceful;
it is possible that both are wrong anyway.

Des in Dublin where de best English is spoke

Old 05-12-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

cineman writes

P S My rosemary is still flowering.

Mine is in full bloom. It flowered in April as usual so this is next
April's come early.
--
Kay
Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

My better
half said that I was probably wrong, but then he's like that. :-))

Oh dear I was under the impression that you were male, and talking

about the
other half being female!

On all those occasions when I've had reason to notice, he's always
been male and I've always been female, but in this modern world ya
never know what could happen................

Old 05-12-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

And what about titinus?

From which I suffer!(:-(

Ummmmm. Are you sure that it is TITinus you suffer from?

(But on reflection, I guess many men do suffer from that)

It's an offshoot of having our ears bombarded with the noise from

the other
half's mouth!(:-)

Is it? I always thought that it was a characteristic of some males
that thay were unable to talk to anything but a woman's chest.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

By the same token, and according to my Latin dictionary, Pinus (as

in
P. sylvestris, etc.) should be pronounced Peenus, which leads into
very dangerous territory with pronunciations such as Peenus contorta
or Peenus parviflora Adcock's Dwarf.

LOL The mind simply boggles at the thought!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote in message

You say teenus, I say Tienus
You say tinus i say thank goodness for the English language,

and
weather, It is what keeps folks talking round here.

Now back to gardening,

Since the discussion is about a garden plant, I didn't think that we
were discussing any thing other than gardening.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote Many people say TYnus which
is probably "wrong" and is a very Anglophone pronunciation;

Even with an Irish line of ancestry I stills say Ty-nus.
snip
How about lichen?
Some same litchen but I always found liken to be much more manly and
forceful; it is possible that both are wrong anyway.

This thread reminds me of an American woman discussing recipes, talking
about about adding some ahrEGG-ano. It took me a few seconds to realise
what she meant.

--
Sue